A16 (stable) rwgmixer re done top to bottom! (refined)

Tin

Wow - I'm stunned. I took the one without water and the prefabs and it took quite a while to create the game initially. About 50 minutes with an i7 4770k and 16GB but - this is it! I found the first city and I was looking and running around the city over the whole first day. And there are still parts i did not see yet.

I mean, wtf?

http://imgur.com/a/WLcyN

I never saw a city that big. The main issue I find with the prefabs I had, was that sometimes I head into 3 towns without a hardware store because they was so small that it wasn't built. This was quite frustrating as the parts are already rare enough.

Funny note: I choose the waterless as I thought it would be quite fun to have a challange in the beginning and need to look out for those water towers. Guess where I started? - correct, snow biome :D

Thank you for rebuilding the file! I hope TFP will work on the engine to may enable multithreading if possible, that would make world generation a LOT faster.

Wow - I'm stunned. I took the one without water and the prefabs and it took quite a while to create the game initially. About 50 minutes with an i7 4770k and 16GB but - this is it! I found the first city and I was looking and running around the city over the whole first day. And there are still parts i did not see yet.

I mean, wtf?

http://imgur.com/a/WLcyN

I never saw a city that big. The main issue I find with the prefabs I had, was that sometimes I head into 3 towns without a hardware store because they was so small that it wasn't built. This was quite frustrating as the parts are already rare enough.

Funny note: I choose the waterless as I thought it would be quite fun to have a challange in the beginning and need to look out for those water towers. Guess where I started? - correct, snow biome :D

Thank you for rebuilding the file! I hope TFP will work on the engine to may enable multithreading if possible, that would make world generation a LOT faster.

Well here's hoping you find a couple hardware stores in this :playful: I could make them generate in just about every city with the min_count="" tag but that's a guessing game. IMO it would be a touch OP as well if every hub generated all the stores :)

Thanks for the kind words and I hope it increases your play enjoyment:)

Well here's hoping you find a couple hardware stores in this :playful: I could make them generate in just about every city with the min_count="" tag but that's a guessing game. IMO it would be a touch OP as well if every hub generated all the stores :)

Thanks for the kind words and I hope it increases your play enjoyment:)

You're right, this should be random. I wouldn't want to have anything guaranteed.

I realized after playing in this map for 2 hours that I find a lot more animals. After day two I had a lot more meat than I actually would need. And I found them all in this one city, they are all over the place.

In vanilla a16 generations I usually need to really look for them, I usually have a hard time to get a good amount of meat.

Is this a result of the bigger hubs or do I just have a ton of luck here? I also do find 2 blue quality items (Overall and shovel) and a chainsaw. :D

You're right, this should be random. I wouldn't want to have anything guaranteed.

I realized after playing in this map for 2 hours that I find a lot more animals. After day two I had a lot more meat than I actually would need. And I found them all in this one city, they are all over the place.

In vanilla a16 generations I usually need to really look for them, I usually have a hard time to get a good amount of meat.

Is this a result of the bigger hubs or do I just have a ton of luck here? I also do find 2 blue quality items (Overall and shovel) and a chainsaw. :D

Must be having a ton o luck. Pretty sure I haven't given anyone my entitygroups.xml or spawning.xml in this package :)

Then ppl would be talking about the xtra zeds and enemy animal types xD

OFC those files will be available at a later date ;)

Yeah probably was a pretty lucky seed maybe. I played around a bit now and next seed hasn't near the amount of animals.

There are few things I would like to adjust. I don't much like the superflat areas in between mountains and cities. While its pretty neat for driving and building, it doesn't look natural to me. Another thing is I would like to have a slightly increased grass and rock resource.

So for the superflat ground I think I would need to increase "land" and "land2" bounds. Adjusted this to "0.01,0.25".

But how would I add a bit more grass and rocks to the landscape?

As being said, I use the mixer with compo pack and also I have included the biomes.xml and weathersurvival.xml.

Joe

Yeah probably was a pretty lucky seed maybe. I played around a bit now and next seed hasn't near the amount of animals.

There are few things I would like to adjust. I don't much like the superflat areas in between mountains and cities. While its pretty neat for driving and building, it doesn't look natural to me. Another thing is I would like to have a slightly increased grass and rock resource.

So for the superflat ground I think I would need to increase "land" and "land2" bounds. Adjusted this to "0.01,0.25".

But how would I add a bit more grass and rocks to the landscape?

As being said, I use the mixer with compo pack and also I have included the biomes.xml and weathersurvival.xml.

Joe

In the biomes.xml for each biome you'll see in the decorations parts, entries for grass. You'll just need to increase the prob values for them.. do so in very small increments. A little goes a long way for grass :)

If you are having difficulty in getting the flat areas to go the way you want you can probably d/l clockworks rwgmixer and compare what he did for a reference since it is based off of mine as he did what you're looking for :)

So, here is an update on my map experience. You can see the fully generated map Here

I like the low amount of water that the water file has in it.

I think some of the city grids are too aggressively small...you will see a bunch of places in cities that are just a grid of streets...which is fine except they only have like 1 small POI in each block...makes for a bunch of empty space.

There are serious road connection issues...many just stop for no reason and then start up again elsewhere...almost like the game is generating the regions out of order or something. this is probably a A16 thing since i have seen similar in vanilla.

The (i think clay) brown deposits all over the map seem a bit excessive.

Just eyeballing the various cities on the map, there seems to be a drastic reduction in skyscrapers across the map. this may be due small blocks, even in large cities not having the space to spawn them.

So, here is an update on my map experience. You can see the fully generated map Here

I like the low amount of water that the water file has in it.

I think some of the city grids are too aggressively small...you will see a bunch of places in cities that are just a grid of streets...which is fine except they only have like 1 small POI in each block...makes for a bunch of empty space.

There are serious road connection issues...many just stop for no reason and then start up again elsewhere...almost like the game is generating the regions out of order or something. this is probably a A16 thing since i have seen similar in vanilla.

The (i think clay) brown deposits all over the map seem a bit excessive.

Just eyeballing the various cities on the map, there seems to be a drastic reduction in skyscrapers across the map. this may be due small blocks, even in large cities not having the space to spawn them.

Sweet good info! I can adjust that so it doesn't use those parts of the street rules as much for those smaller city block sections.

I made it so not all hubs are capable of generating skyscrapers as a lot of ppl are having issue with them but I can increase them to be slightly more prevalent.

I'll work on an update and probably have it ready in a day or so. In the mean time you can probably comment out the rural sm/lg and the town sm so it only produces the city sm, city lg, and town lg. That way you have something in the meantime till then.

and TY again for the feed back :)

With the clay deal are you using my biomes.xml as well? It kinda looks like it when looking at the desert section but I just want to be sure.

In the biomes.xml for each biome you'll see in the decorations parts, entries for grass. You'll just need to increase the prob values for them.. do so in very small increments. A little goes a long way for grass :)

If you are having difficulty in getting the flat areas to go the way you want you can probably d/l clockworks rwgmixer and compare what he did for a reference since it is based off of mine as he did what you're looking for :)

Cool, thanks for the tips. I will look into clockworks project, it also looks pretty cool. I think I need to have it tested at some time as well. :)

Thank you!!

The mod is awesome! At first i was hesitant due to the long load up..But i am glad i changed my mind..I could not believe how huge the cities are..Whats even better once saved the load time is less than 1-5 minutes...I have no problems and i use Valmod with this also..

Sir you are the master!:tickled_pink:

The mod is awesome! At first i was hesitant due to the long load up..But i am glad i changed my mind..I could not believe how huge the cities are..Whats even better once saved the load time is less than 1-5 minutes...I have no problems and i use Valmod with this also..

Sir you are the master!:tickled_pink:

TYM :) I will have an update coming soon... just minor changes and nothing anyone needs to switch to if they're enjoying it already. I have been teaching my self so new tricks for hub street layouts so I'll put them into play so those that want it can try it out at a later time :)

Tin,

As you might recall I enjoy the "flatter" maps so I was wondering if I could use the suggestion stompy posted to tone down mountains abit in your file.

In rwg mixer:

<module name="scaleBiasOutput" type="ScaleBiasOutput">

<property name="sourceModule" value="finalLand"/>

<property name="scale" value="255"/>

</module>

if so, in your opinion what would be a good number to start at that I could try and then make adjustments from there. Am asking because with the load time I don't want to have to do it too many times lol.

Tin,

As you might recall I enjoy the "flatter" maps so I was wondering if I could use the suggestion stompy posted to tone down mountains abit in your file.

In rwg mixer:

<module name="scaleBiasOutput" type="ScaleBiasOutput">

<property name="sourceModule" value="finalLand"/>

<property name="scale" value="255"/>

</module>

if so, in your opinion what would be a good number to start at that I could try and then make adjustments from there. Am asking because with the load time I don't want to have to do it too many times lol.

You can try it and see if it gives you what you want.

Personally I would cut it in half (round to the nearest whole number) then if it doesn't give you what you want cut it in half again +/- *rinse repeat*

It's just how I would go about it. :)

Hey Tin,

I've been poking around at trying to get skyscrapers to spawn more frequently within CityLg/etc (currently only getting one. two rarely), but have not had much luck. Would you be able to point me in the right direction on where to look? Things I have messed with so far with no success: adding a min_count, adding a prob, and reducing the max counts of other prefabs in the downtown group.

Now poking around on the forums I see some hints that increasing the street_gen level might help as it would allow more prefabs to spawn within the hub, so I have a map loading up with that right now and am hoping for some improvement. Next step would be flattening out the terrain even further I suppose, but I would rather avoid that... But, in the meantime, I figured I would break down and ask the experts. My server wants multiple skyscrapers in a single hub. How do I make it happen?

Hey Tin,

I've been poking around at trying to get skyscrapers to spawn more frequently within CityLg/etc (currently only getting one. two rarely), but have not had much luck. Would you be able to point me in the right direction on where to look? Things I have messed with so far with no success: adding a min_count, adding a prob, and reducing the max counts of other prefabs in the downtown group.

Now poking around on the forums I see some hints that increasing the street_gen level might help as it would allow more prefabs to spawn within the hub, so I have a map loading up with that right now and am hoping for some improvement. Next step would be flattening out the terrain even further I suppose, but I would rather avoid that... But, in the meantime, I figured I would break down and ask the experts. My server wants multiple skyscrapers in a single hub. How do I make it happen?

Heh, I just redid the hub system so you can re D/L for the new rwgmixer. I initially made the hubs to not produce as much skyscrapers but now they should pop a bit more frequently for you. You can also do the min_count and it'll probably be more responsive since the layout will provide more room for them.

If you're still having issues after to get even more in a large city Give me a holler again and I'll see what I can come up with for your needs :)

Haha, great timing. I'll take a look right now. And honestly, thanks a ton for putting this stuff together for those of us struggling with it. I can make my way around the other (simpler) xmls, but this rwgmixer is a bit out of my league.

Perseverance and the willingness to break stuff over and over again. RWGmixer in a nutshell xD

Another easy thing you can do:

Go from this VV

<cell_rule name="ruralCell" prob="0.30"/>

<cell_rule name="cityCell" prob="0.55"/> <!-- default 0.55 -->

<cell_rule name="townCell" prob="1"/>

To

<cell_rule name="townCell" prob="0.55"/>

<cell_rule name="cityCell" prob="1"/>

That will increase the presence of the cityCell for the city hub(s). If that still doesn't give you enough start cutting down the prob="" values to the townCell and ruralCells.

IF none of that works. I can put together a skyscraper rich hub specifically geared for them to populate it. :)

Perseverance and the willingness to break stuff over and over again. RWGmixer in a nutshell xD

Another easy thing you can do:

Go from this VV

<cell_rule name="cityCell" prob="0.55"/> <!-- default 0.55 -->

<cell_rule name="townCell" prob="1"/>

To

<cell_rule name="townCell" prob="0.55"/>

<cell_rule name="cityCell" prob="1"/>

That will increase the presence of the cityCell for the city hub(s). If that still doesn't give you enough start cutting down the prob="" values to the townCell and ruralCells.

IF none of that works. I can put together a skyscraper rich hub specifically geared for them to populate it. :)

Oh, I haven't had any trouble in breaking it. ;) I've been reading through the posts here on the forums related to the mixer, but there is a certain baseline level of knowledge to follow along in the more technical sections that I just haven't reached yet. So, trial and error has been my MO here.

Anyways, I've ran through a few different seeds with your new mixer (these load times are MUCH faster by the way!), coupled with the tweaks (including just diasbling rural and town for testing and setting a min_count for the buildings) and I am still running into the issue with cities spawning in with no skyscrapers.

So, if it's not too much trouble I would really appreciate it I could take you up on that offer for the skyscraper hub. Or just point me at what needs to be toyed with?

Either way I appreciate the help!

Oh, I haven't had any trouble in breaking it. ;) I've been reading through the posts here on the forums related to the mixer, but there is a certain baseline level of knowledge to follow along in the more technical sections that I just haven't reached yet. So, trial and error has been my MO here.

Anyways, I've ran through a few different seeds with your new mixer (these load times are MUCH faster by the way!), coupled with the tweaks (including just diasbling rural and town for testing and setting a min_count for the buildings) and I am still running into the issue with cities spawning in with no skyscrapers.

So, if it's not too much trouble I would really appreciate it I could take you up on that offer for the skyscraper hub. Or just point me at what needs to be toyed with?

Either way I appreciate the help!

Directions? we don't have directions! :p Nah, you would need to establish a new list of poi's you would want in your hub and then make sure your skyscrapers were the highest priority to spawn. Kinda like how they did with the invisible animals and how they used the probs, then I would attach a max_count as well so it didn't spam too many :)

Give me a day and I'll whip it up and I'll provide it the "extras" part of the post and then you would just need to swap rwgmixers and re roll a new world. I'll make sure to PM you when I have it complete so you know it's ready.

edit: You can probably get a general idea by going through the poi list and how I set mine up. You would just need to make a new "downtown" entry and made sure that the hub pulled from that list.

edit2: I am currently away from my stuff and just trolling the forums every now n then so that's why I cant whip one up any time soon :)

Archived