[Console] Builder Challanges

Clare

Woooooow Sandman2838!

That's an amazing build! I now have Magic Dance playing in the background as I write this. I think my favourite room was the one with all the stairs, that's my fav scene and song from the movie ^_^

Hope everyone else is feeling better after being under the weather! I'll be posting the next challange in a little bit!

Clare

[Apr 2018] - Fool's Challange

So crazy it just might work! Have you ever though of a crazy build but never got to try it out? Or maybe you tried once before but want to have another go (Past challenges are fair game)... whatever your crazy idea I want to see it! And the best part about this challange is it doesn't have to work! It's all about the journey, so if you run out of time, or something collapses, or zombies eat your face don't fret! I want to see the journey in this challange, not just the end result :)

I will also pick someone from this challenges submissions to be a guest challenger next month!

Map Name: FoolsErrand

Deadline: Mon 2nd May 2018

My challenge build is well under way. I was thinking about what to build and had considered a boat but was wondering how it would work with the SI. Anyway, my husband is reading Huckleberry Finn at the moment and I was idly looking at the front cover; saw the paddle steamer. Bingo - a flat bottomed boat! No SI worries.

The challenge was very good to me; I started in the plains, found a large lake and followed the edge of it. Wasn't long before I found a group of sandbanks of the mainland - perfect to build on. Have only had to fill in a small area under the water and now the boat can sit on it. Got a bit carried away size-wize, it's gonna be a biggie!

So, video log of progress (All short videos):

1) By the end of my first session, I had the basic outline drawn and had started filling it in:

2) First job this section was to finish filling in the shape, marking out where I wanted everything - took a while as I chopped and changed it a few times, but settled on this layout.

3) Finished today's session with the walls up for the bottom deck.

Next session will probably be finishing off the bottom deck, stairs up and adding the floor. Also need to see about building the rear paddle.

Wow! Full steam ahead Damsel! (Pretty sure those boats use steam... otherwise that joke will fail...)

Looking amazing so far! I like how you did out your room plan too before building up ^_^

- - - Updated - - -

Curious about your build PabloDiablo - I hope we get even a little peak ^_^

Wow! Full steam ahead Damsel! (Pretty sure those boats use steam... otherwise that joke will fail...)

Looking amazing so far! I like how you did out your room plan too before building up ^_^

Yes, the ones I looked at used steam as well as the paddle(s). I got quite fascinated by them.

The room plan is a big help, though it occurred to me today I need to make a small change to the layout. Having it mapped out guides me as I add the upper levels, so I know where the strength and support is, plus it helps to keep me organised and visualise the finished build.

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome build Damselx1!! I've been curious about doing a boat of some kind or even an oil rig...just something on the water.

Love your build though, impressive!

The oil rig sounds good; why not give it a try? There's a decent bit of water on this challenge world.

- - - Updated - - -

Love the idea,, especially laying out before building. I was thinking of posting WIP videos of my build but that would spoil it. Suffice it to say I am going to showcase some "exploits" of the rules.

Looking forward to seeing it!

Doing the layout beforehand is a big help for me; I did it with the other builds as well, so I have markers to keep me straight and I know where the strength and support of the build is. Could get interesting as I get to the upper floors as I want a big, open saloon - might have to put in a few support columns to make sure the roof holds up.

Had another productive session:

I carried on building through the night and have the basics of the second deck in place. Should finish the basic build of the boat tomorrow and then I shall start building on dry land, before returning to finish off and decorate. Very pleased with how this is going.

Well I did think about doing a giant statue of some kind (Damselx1 and her husband mentioned a giant chicken!) but then I thought considering I am kinda basic in my builds as I go for effective/practical over fancy) to build a base, then I thought "Well lets make AREA 51!"

Realised with the time I have to play what with work and other stuff, a full on Area 51 would be too ambitious...maybe...

So now I am building...something, not a prison but has prison cells, has secure walls (when finished) and atm a security office area, I am going with what works for me. EI I build a section of perimiter wall, then a section of the base/compound then extend the wall again as I need to and will try to get as much done as I can in the time remaining. I'm using creative building but with zombies on because I want it to look damaged and beat up so if the zeds damage it it helps age it and make it look abandoned :)

For theme... Lets just say someone build a private secure facility in the desert before the apocalypse and something happend there.....

Vid link :

Got a bit further with it, decided on compound size now and the jail needs a couple tweaks, the lab needs some details on ground floor and the upstairs area needs doing and wall filled in. Made a barracks room, going to try fit in a canteen etc b4 time runs out.

EDIT: Forgot to say the circular things in the air lock when you go into the lab, they are air con units on their sides to make it a decontamination room.

Have almost completed the shell of my build - this weekend I've build on land and water, to provide a jetty, ticket office, refreshments tent gift shop. I still need to build a covered seating area and freight/storage area, then it's on to the decorating. So, still a lot to do.

Oh my gosh both of these builds are amazing!

PabloDiablo - I love the spooky desert feel, and the abandoned cars around your build - it really adds to abandoned security base feel. If I saw that in a game I would definitely want to know more of what happened there!

Damselx1 - Your ship has come on so much! I know the base was big, but seeing it all coming together really helps the sense of scale for it! I love the addition of a dock too!

Oh my gosh both of these builds are amazing!

PabloDiablo - I love the spooky desert feel, and the abandoned cars around your build - it really adds to abandoned security base feel. If I saw that in a game I would definitely want to know more of what happened there!

Damselx1 - Your ship has come on so much! I know the base was big, but seeing it all coming together really helps the sense of scale for it! I love the addition of a dock too!

You could always send the vid to the devs as a possible noe POI idea :) lol

its been a while since ive posted

so I thought I would give a sneak peek of whats to come soon

this is all done survival mode as well

but a quick question, it says the deadline is 'Mon 2nd May 2018' however this coming Monday is the 30th which makes the 2nd of may a Wednesday.... soooo which day? lol don't want to be an hour early and a day late as it goes....

1300246083_7DaystoDie_20180423102506.thumb.jpg.64180af203846995c9ba8c7678c66632.jpg

1979794802_7DaystoDie_20180424105110.thumb.jpg.54bbbbc556410c4bad7bf9b6d5b93aeb.jpg

1487312077_7DaystoDie_20180425135150.thumb.jpg.d64633cacdbebea463abcbbb2917d1cb.jpg

1304271472_7DaystoDie_20180426140304.thumb.jpg.a5e3d6c9517d643a0c0b201322b35eb3.jpg

1681617672_7DaystoDie_20180426154219.thumb.jpg.0598469193c67931d6432f6cc4f754c4.jpg

Moderate build

Seen your post and figured I would put my hat in the ring, my base has become quite a visual tour. I'm on day 577. I have right at 6000 zombie kills. I live in the desert biome but it's getting less like that. I hope you come check it out. ..I really don't like to talk smack but damn my base is on another level compared to the others I've seen. It is totally worth streaming if you can. Let me know:)

its been a while since ive posted

so I thought I would give a sneak peek of whats to come soon

this is all done survival mode as well

but a quick question, it says the deadline is 'Mon 2nd May 2018' however this coming Monday is the 30th which makes the 2nd of may a Wednesday.... soooo which day? lol don't want to be an hour early and a day late as it goes....

Looks amazing! Will be interested to see the full build.

I'm hoping the deadline is 2nd May - I still have loads to do. This morning I trashed the buildings on my jetty and rebuilt them as I decided they didn't look right. Much happier now and plan to have a long session tomorrow to try and finish it all (or get is as close as possible).

Well, I'm done - the build is not finished but the file is. The work in progress videos will have to suffice as my entry as the file will no longer open - I suspect I didn't close down properly after yesterday's session and now the file can't get back 'building environment. I've tried leaving it running while I go do something else but it didn't work. I wish I'd taken a video yesterday of the changes I made to my jetty but, oh well, it happens. I will have to be more careful next time.

The settings on my build were default except for 18 hours daylight, zombies turned off, 120 minute days, cheat mode on, no airdrops.

Good luck to everyone else - looking forward to seeing your builds.

Archived