ComSenMod (now for A18)

Crater Creator

Yep, download link broken again. Look forward to checking out the 18.4 update once you get symlinks sorted ;) Error below:

404: Page not found
This error is generated when there was no web page with the name you specified at the web site.

Troubleshooting suggestions:

Ensure the page you are linking to exists in the correct folder.

Check your file name for case sensitivity . Index.htm is not the same as index.htm!

Temporarily disable any rewrite rules by renaming your .htaccess file if it exists.

Edited by Cernwn (see edit history)

Okay, I'm giving up on symlinks.  I've updated the link in the top post to point directly to the downloadable file, and this link is working for me.  I apologize for the inconvenience.

In other news, I've accomplished my other goal: ComSenMod 5 is now listed in sphereii's Mod Launcher app!

Edited by Crater Creator (see edit history)

I just manually installed the mod and everything seems to work except I have a conflict in loot.xml, I have another mod that already uses id="217".  Can I just change the 217 in your loot.xml to 9217 or something ?

Also I need a hot ember to craft a campfire, but I need a campfire to make a hot ember. Do I need to find the burnt biome or go looking for a ruin with a campfire or am I missing something obvious ?

Cheers :)

5 hours ago, Grolbu said:

I just manually installed the mod and everything seems to work except I have a conflict in loot.xml, I have another mod that already uses id="217".  Can I just change the 217 in your loot.xml to 9217 or something ?

Also I need a hot ember to craft a campfire, but I need a campfire to make a hot ember. Do I need to find the burnt biome or go looking for a ruin with a campfire or am I missing something obvious ?

Cheers :)

I went through this already as well, I finally read the quest text for basic survival 8 and it tells you to scrap your torch for the initial ember. If you play a nomadic style like I do, don't forget to always have a torch or craft another ember from the fire so you can craft campfires on your travels.

There really should be another way to craft an ember. I get that you can't make fire from nothing in a survival situation, but man has made fire from sticks, rocks and dry leaves for hundreds of years. 

Still, really enjoying this playthrough, so big thanks to Crater Creater for the mod.

I wondered if that was it. I got there in the end though, I removed the other mod to give this one a go then started a new game and spawned near a burned zone where I gave some coal a whack with the axe and out popped an ember. Then I got eaten by a bear 🤣🤣🤣 so this mod doesn't *totally* protect you while you're getting started, which is good :)

13 hours ago, belfegor said:

<!-- the max cap for lootcontainer id is 1023 -->

loot and  block  change till 1023

Cool thank you, I did try changing the loot and the entity (the conflict is the dead cowboy) but then I got out of array errors and that's when I deleted the other mod :)  I'll add it back in and have a go looking for a number that's not already used :)

On 5/13/2020 at 1:35 AM, Grolbu said:

5 hours ago, Grolbu said:

Cool thank you, I did try changing the loot and the entity (the conflict is the dead cowboy) but then I got out of array errors and that's when I deleted the other mod :)  I'll add it back in and have a go looking for a number that's not already used :)

Sounds like you have experience patching mods together!  You've got the right idea.  If you need loot container 217 for something else, then you'll need to A. reassign that entry a different ID in loot.xml (line 4521); and B. point to that new ID for the LootListOnDeath property in entityclasses.xml (line 349).  ComSenMod defines a new block of lootcontainer IDs, starting at 200 and going up to as many as I need: currently 227.

20 hours ago, Grolbu said:

I wondered if that was it. I got there in the end though, I removed the other mod to give this one a go then started a new game and spawned near a burned zone where I gave some coal a whack with the axe and out popped an ember. Then I got eaten by a bear 🤣🤣🤣 so this mod doesn't *totally* protect you while you're getting started, which is good :)

What I like the most about this story is that you tried something you intuitively thought would work (get an ember from an ember pile), and it did.  That's what ComSenMod is all about. :rockon:

Encountering the bear at that place and time is unchanged.  However, compared to vanilla you were a little less hosed with the extra bandages, and had you killed the bear, you would've gotten more XP for the sake of balance.

On 5/12/2020 at 12:19 AM, Cernwn said:

Danke! New link works and I cannot wait to sink my teeth into this mod. Just FYI for your next update, the localization.txt should auto-load if its moved to the mod/config/ folder.

Whoa, when did that happen?  That's cool!  I'll have to remember that for the next release.  I'd be happy to streamline the file structure a little.

Edited by Crater Creator (see edit history)

Thank you both, I changed the dead cowboy to 1017 and put the other mod back in and started a new game, the commonsense quests and blocks from the other mod are appearing and no red lines in the console. Huzzah !

And this time I started by scrapping the torch 😛

Edit : scrapping the torch may have been a mistake. I was all smug going into the campfire quest knowing I had my ember, but no, the quest is telling me to gather stones and a torch ...  Astonishingly I did manage to find a torch, didn't like my chances but I looked in the 'U' chest and there it was ... amazing ...  🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Grolbu (see edit history)

On 5/15/2020 at 4:15 PM, AKMARK5000 said:

I'm pretty new to 7DTD, but rented a remote server and am looking for a mod to install... this looks great, but does it eliminate that annoying encumbrance?

No, but it seeks to make encumbrance less annoying in a different way.  In vanilla, you clutter your inventory with nearly useless quantities of items.  You can’t do hardly anything with one nail you find in loot.  But in ComSenMod, if you find something, it’s generally enough to potentially change the narrative of your game.  This change is comprehensive, applying to 25 different items or kinds of items in loot.

Since you say you’re pretty new, it’s also worth mentioning that you can completely eliminate the encumbrance penalty in the vanilla game between pocket mods on clothes and the Pack Mule skill.  If that’s not good enough, you should be able to install an encumbrance mod alongside ComSenMod without issue, since I don’t touch encumbrance directly.  I hope that helps.

Edited by Crater Creator
formatting error (see edit history)

On 5/15/2020 at 2:15 PM, AKMARK5000 said:

...does it eliminate that annoying encumbrance?

Try loading ComSenMod first to change all the stack sizes, followed by True Inventory by Eihwaz to actually rebalance the encumbrance system. Load order is alphabetical, so you can just add numbers or letters to the front of the mod folder name to change it.

If you don't care about balance but just want 30K stack sizes, you can add the following line at the bottom of any MOD items.xml just before the closing tag at the very bottom (i.e. </items> or </config>):

<set xpath="/items/item/property[@name='Stacknumber' and not(@value='1')]/@value">30000</set>

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2020 at 8:26 PM, Cernwn said:

Try loading ComSenMod first to change all the stack sizes, followed by True Inventory by Eihwaz to actually rebalance the encumbrance system. Load order is alphabetical, so you can just add numbers or letters to the front of the mod folder name to change it.

If you don't care about balance but just want 30K stack sizes, you can add the following 4 lines into a modlets items.xml:

<set xpath="/items/item[starts-with(@name, 'medical')]/property[@name='Stacknumber']/@value">30000</set>
	<set xpath="/items/item[starts-with(@name, 'food')]/property[@name='Stacknumber']/@value">30000</set>
	<set xpath="/items/item[starts-with(@name, 'resource')]/property[@name='Stacknumber']/@value">30000</set>
	<set xpath="/items/item/property[@name='Stacknumber' and not(@value='1')]/@value">30000</set>

Do we copy and paste that in or find each one and change the values? I just want 30K stack sizes

Edited by EZ2Remember (see edit history)

2 hours ago, EZ2Remember said:

Do we copy and paste that in or find each one and change the values? I just want 30K stack sizes

in config/items.xml of ComSenMod, locate the closing tag near the very bottom:

</configs>

REPLACE the line above with the 2 lines below:

</configs>

Voila! Anything with a Stacknumber>1 should allow up to 30K.

52 minutes ago, CheekiBreeki said:

is this mod compatible with darkness falls?

Dunno 100% as I've not tried it, but if I were to hazard a guess would say NO due to numerous changes in loot.xml by both mods. If you are looking for an overhaul to try and get ComSenMod working with, I would try True Survival by Spider or Gnamod by Haidr'Gna. The ember mechanic of ComSenMod will probably also not play well with overhauls...

This might be a dumb question but...

It seems ComSenMod is possibly not compatible with the Farm Life mod. I loaded up an existing save and got a bunch of errors (had to manually crash the game with task manager), and booting up a new game I noticed none of the Farm life things showed up.

Do you know what could be causing this? Is there anything I can do to get these to work nice together? If not, is it safe to uninstall/remove ComSenMod from a save?

On 6/2/2020 at 10:23 PM, Ihmislehma said:

This might be a dumb question but...

It seems ComSenMod is possibly not compatible with the Farm Life mod. I loaded up an existing save and got a bunch of errors (had to manually crash the game with task manager), and booting up a new game I noticed none of the Farm life things showed up.

Do you know what could be causing this? Is there anything I can do to get these to work nice together? If not, is it safe to uninstall/remove ComSenMod from a save?

I would need to see the log file with the errors.  But in general, if ComSenMod and another mod aren't playing nice with each other (and this is relevant to your question too, @CheekiBreeki), loot.xml is the most likely conflict.  ComSenMod makes so many changes to loot, it effectively has to overwrite the original file.  So Farm Life could be built on certain assumptions about what's in the loot.xml file that aren't true with ComSenMod.

However, ComSenMod is a 'clean' mod that does everything possible with xpath syntax.  That means you just take ComSenMod out of your mods folder, and restore your localization.txt file, and ComSenMod should be safely uninstalled no matter what else you are or aren't using.

On 6/3/2020 at 2:01 AM, MyWind_MyGame said:

Anyone playing this mod on Youtube? Like a Let's Play or gameplay?  I want to watch it first before playing it! For A18. 

Naturally, I'd be delighted if more people did. Google didn't come up with anything for the A18 version, but luckily searching on Twitch did.

This German guy plays ComSenMod 5.  It's a little slow paced for seeing what's new, as he plays on long days and dies to a dire wolf early on.  At 40 minutes in, he discovers you can loot zombies.  Another 40 minutes after that, he makes his first campfire. :)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/623699866

This guy plays in Japanese, with no sound, but he goes through things at a faster pace.  I feel terrible that he tried harvesting the wood stove for an ember and it didn't work; that's on my list now for the next version.

As for an English Let's Play of the latest version... you could be the first! :D

Edited by Crater Creator
un-embedding video link (see edit history)

On 6/6/2020 at 9:57 AM, Crater Creator said:

Naturally, I'd be delighted if more people did. Google didn't come up with anything for the A18 version, but luckily searching on Twitch did.

This German guy plays ComSenMod 5.  It's a little slow paced for seeing what's new, as he plays on long days and dies to a dire wolf early on.  At 40 minutes in, he discovers you can loot zombies.  Another 40 minutes after that, he makes his first campfire. :)

This guy plays in Japanese, with no sound, but he goes through things at a faster pace.  I feel terrible that he tried harvesting the wood stove for an ember and it didn't work; that's on my list now for the next version.

As for an English Let's Play of the latest version... you could be the first! :D

Those videos didn't work. Do you think you could linked them instead of embering the video?