ComSenMod (now for A18)

Crater Creator

1 hour ago, MyWind_MyGame said:

Those videos didn't work. Do you think you could linked them instead of embering the video?

But... embering isn't a bug.  Embering is an important feature of ComSenMod! 😜

I kid.  Thanks for alerting me about it.  It's weird, because they definitely worked when I posted them.

I'll be honest: all I did at the time was go to twitch.tv and search for "ComSenMod".  Now that I've already made the post, I can't recover the pre-formatted source with the original link.  This is a downside of the new forum, which I've written about elsewhere.  I was able to find the Japanese one again, so I edited in the non-embedded link.  But I can't find the German one now.  Perhaps Twitch videos are routinely deleted after a month or something like that?

1 hour ago, Crater Creator said:

But... embering isn't a bug.  Embering is an important feature of ComSenMod! 😜

I kid.  Thanks for alerting me about it.  It's weird, because they definitely worked when I posted them.

I'll be honest: all I did at the time was go to twitch.tv and search for "ComSenMod".  Now that I've already made the post, I can't recover the pre-formatted source with the original link.  This is a downside of the new forum, which I've written about elsewhere.  I was able to find the Japanese one again, so I edited in the non-embedded link.  But I can't find the German one now.  Perhaps Twitch videos are routinely deleted after a month or something like that?

That's okay. Thanks for trying. I search on twitch too but I can't find the Japanese one that you talked about and the German one won't play for some odd reason. I would probably had to try again later. 

45 minutes ago, MyWind_MyGame said:

That's okay. Thanks for trying. I search on twitch too but I can't find the Japanese one that you talked about and the German one won't play for some odd reason. I would probably had to try again later. 

I got the Japanese one.  I edited my post, because I didn't want to double post it.  But here's that link again:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/623699866

Edited by Crater Creator (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/6/2020 at 2:32 PM, Crater Creator said:

I would need to see the log file with the errors.  But in general, if ComSenMod and another mod aren't playing nice with each other (and this is relevant to your question too, @CheekiBreeki), loot.xml is the most likely conflict.  ComSenMod makes so many changes to loot, it effectively has to overwrite the original file.  So Farm Life could be built on certain assumptions about what's in the loot.xml file that aren't true with ComSenMod.

However, ComSenMod is a 'clean' mod that does everything possible with xpath syntax.  That means you just take ComSenMod out of your mods folder, and restore your localization.txt file, and ComSenMod should be safely uninstalled no matter what else you are or aren't using.

Sorry for the mega-late reply x__x

After a bit of testing, it seems that something in the existing file was causing issues, as new saves booted up just fine. Dunno what was up with it, but I'll likely be moving to A19 test branch, so mods are off the table for a while until things update.

Thank you for your patience!

9 minutes ago, Ihmislehma said:

Sorry for the mega-late reply x__x

After a bit of testing, it seems that something in the existing file was causing issues, as new saves booted up just fine. Dunno what was up with it, but I'll likely be moving to A19 test branch, so mods are off the table for a while until things update.

Thank you for your patience!

No problem.  I'm just glad I didn't come here to find "hey where's ComSenMod for A19" already. 😂

9 minutes ago, Crater Creator said:

No problem.  I'm just glad I didn't come here to find "hey where's ComSenMod for A19" already. 😂

Pff nah man, I realize these things take time :D Especially for a mod like this that does a lot of small balance adjustments. It takes a while to explore what vanilla has to offer, and what feels like it needs to be fixed, after all.

• 5 months later...

At this point I have no plans to develop ComSenMod for Alpha 19.  I barely got CSM 5 out before A19 was playable, and now A20 is close enough (I'm guessing) that if anything, I should just leapfrog over A19 entirely despite it being the more polished alpha.  My 7DtD time has been split between building prefabs, testing experimental builds, and even sometimes (gasp) playing for fun.

I have had ideas percolating for a more expansive mod, that's more differentiated from vanilla, for some time.  All I'll say for now is that it would cater to a nomadic playstyle.  If I ever get such ideas off the ground, I pledge to bring over the good ideas from ComSenMod that fit the mod's theme and the state of the game at that time.

...And yes, this non-update update is also to affirm that I'm still here and ComSenMod isn't going public domain yet. :wave:

• 10 months later...
2 hours ago, MathiasAdemar said:

i know you wont make an A19 version, but does anyone know if the current version should work ok? asking before i download and potentially break my world (or more importantly, my wife's world. lol.)

Most likely it will not work, and by the time you put the work in to fix the issues, a20 will be releasing anyway.  @Crater CreatorI would really like to see this one updated for a20 though. 

Aw, thanks guys!  I truly appreciate the support. :grouphug:

My advice if you want to play ComSenMod in the near term would be to play it with an Alpha 18 game: preferably a new one so e.g. adjustments to biomes can apply.  I have no expectations that it would work in A19 - it modifies xml that changed drastically from A18 to A19.

Big picture, I also feel that slowly but surely a lot of the things I've griped about in vanilla and 'fixed' in ComSenMod are getting addressed in vanilla, either directly or through other changes that make the point moot.  There are fewer "well duh, of course it should be like this" examples to point to as time has gone on, which is a credit to Gazz et al.

So instead, I've been pouring all my time into prefab modding for some time now.  But, knowing there's still interest certainly encourages me to revisit ComSenMod or something like it.

• 1 year later...

hi, im wondering if you've revisited comsensemod recently since A21 came out? theres still quite a few good ideas in there that could be applied. The number of fixes to the vanilla game has reduced the need for so many patches but until TFP fully catches up or "comes to their senses" lol then i feel like there's room for some common sense still. 

Edited by ALo (see edit history)

On 9/1/2023 at 10:24 AM, ALo said:

hi, im wondering if you've revisited comsensemod recently since A21 came out? theres still quite a few good ideas in there that could be applied. The number of fixes to the vanilla game has reduced the need for so many patches but until TFP fully catches up or "comes to their senses" lol then i feel like there's room for some common sense still. 

Hi ALo, thanks for the post. During A20 I had a go at implementing the changes I thought the game needed. It used ComSenMod as a starting point, and was more focused on fixing things I thought needed fixing than anything else. Sadly it didn’t get far enough to release before A21 came out. I’m playing vanilla A21 now - getting into the late game to explore how things work, and jotting down some things to report as bugs or improvement feedback along the way. Once I’ve had my fill of vanilla once again, chances are good I’ll revisit modding, and hopefully put something out before the A22 cycle takes over. Cheers! :)

sounds good! ive never really finished a full playthrough of the game. nor have i played vanilla more than for a few mins lol.

i also have little modding exp but i took a look at your mod and hacked it up pretty good enough to get the parts working that i wanted. a lot of stuff has been added to the game by tfp so its just not needed anymore. it took me about a day to go through the vanilla files and compare what "item" names had changed, which features were now part of the base game, etc, so i knew what to cut out. 

just so you know im only using it for personal use on my own private server with friends. if thats not okay let me know right away. and if its okay and you want to see what ive done then i can share it.