[WIP] True Survival SDX

Spider

Guess unlikem has no access to the server either atm, so thats that until spider sorts it tomorrow. In the meantime i know of another server, requires no passcode: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?61353-7DTD-Server-with-True-Survival-SDX-Mod-Wiped-and-LIVE-from-7th-April!!! There you go if you need a fix that bad lol. Might not be the settings you like but in the meantime.....

@xyth

"Broken Key Pad" has no scrap option

Thanks for the info.. All these scrapping issues, workstation fixes, etc were fixed before the rollback, and maybe some things didn't get put back in when Spider released the last patch while I was away. I just got back so will try to figure out what is in this patch and what is missing so we can get to a stable release again. However, until Spider gets internet back I have no way of pushing any fixes to Github.

Thank you all for your patience.

It's cool I didn't think you were, I was just trying to best explain it so it didn't sound like I was asking to get around the mechanic. I love the mechanic. And surprisingly so do many on our server. I praise you guys for a lot but I specifically praise you and the team the most for one specific thing. You have converted a few players into loving hardcore gameplay. I tried myself for so long to convey that hardcore feel but make it rewarding and fun. You guys managed it and then some. I have nothing but good things to say about it for that reason alone.

Thanks for taking the time to look into it.

I just tested this in single player and after using DM I can enter into godmode and then fly up so my feet are way off the ground (in mid air) and I can still place blocks on the ground on on other blocks while in mid air. Is this what you are saying you cant do? Or is it you need to place blocks into mid air and have those blocks ignore physics like needing to have a block to attach to?

Screamers are summoning ferals every time we get a screamer. During the daytime

Spider has it set so beginning on Day 7, scouts call a daytime group that will likely have at least 1 feral in it. The chance and number of ferals increases in week 2, and gets much worse after that. This might be a bit too aggressive of a spawn for the average level character on day 7 (est. level 7 character) armed with only a bat and or stone arrows. Perhaps day 15 would be a better time to introduce ferals into the scout spawns? In the meantime, be careful generating heat during the day.

- - - Updated - - -

If you guys need help getting the server back up, message me on Steam.

It's interesting to see everyone elses level progressions and compare it to mine. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or maybe I'm bad at this, but I'm on day 44 but I'm only level 20. Might be due to my style of play, which is to avoid urban areas and mostly try to carve out my own in the woods, maybe I'm not hacking through zombies as much as others, I'm focusing on getting a nice area built up before I do a lot of plundering.

@Xyth: thank you for the response, glad to see you'll be making changes to the wood drop rate.

Bug: Minibike takes damage while turning. This has been happening since forever, it might be a vanilla bug. I don't know, but it wasn't till today I realized that the bike takes damage. I always thought it was just an audio bug, but clearly not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgQOK0NdBQM

I cannot reproduce this error. Spiders code for the minibikes is exactly the same as vanilla with the exception that the wheels have a different material type, but this does not seem to be causing the issue.

However, it looks like your turning radius is much tighter than vanilla. Compare your minibike handlebar settings in the item.xml file to the vanilla settings. It should have a property set to: <property name="VehicleMaxSteeringAngle" value="10,10" /> If the angle is much higher than this, it might be causing your issue. However, I have not tested this as I cannot reproduce your issue.

It's interesting to see everyone elses level progressions and compare it to mine. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or maybe I'm bad at this, but I'm on day 44 but I'm only level 20. Might be due to my style of play, which is to avoid urban areas and mostly try to carve out my own in the woods, maybe I'm not hacking through zombies as much as others, I'm focusing on getting a nice area built up before I do a lot of plundering.

@Xyth: thank you for the response, glad to see you'll be making changes to the wood drop rate.

I would guess that for folks living in the woods, a 1/2 level per day is not unreasonable. I got 1:1 and my daughter gots slightly less while near a medium size town. Some folks seem to get 1.5 level:1 day, but Im not sure how they did that.

I think we have established that the normal range for at least the first few weeks is .5-1.5 levels per day. This information should be useful to Spider as he decides how early to increase the mods difficulty curve.

As for wood drops, Spider is the "decider" on any changes to this mod, and I hope he does agree to globally reduce the amount of wood dropping. Jeo and I help him by creating items and code that he may or may not decide to use, and we offer him our counsel on issues of play-ability, style, and feature set. At this time I don't think he has made a final decision on the wood drops yet.

worworkbench is in blocks but workworkBench is NOT and several recipes point to workworkBench so they cant be crafted

I downloaded a fresh install using 7D2D launcher and I found 2 occurrences of this (usrbeercooler and the usrCoffin containers) in the recipes.xml which were previously fixed but somehow got unfixed. I don't see any other typos related to this workbench.

Sorry for the error.

I just tested this in single player and after using DM I can enter into godmode and then fly up so my feet are way off the ground (in mid air) and I can still place blocks on the ground on on other blocks while in mid air. Is this what you are saying you cant do? Or is it you need to place blocks into mid air and have those blocks ignore physics like needing to have a block to attach to?

I was building a wall for a shelter for new spawns. I went into god mode and flew about up about 3 blocks high. I was placing a steel block wall, so it was 3 blocks high off the first one. I wasnt trying to do a ceiling or anything just add a 5th layer to the wall. It wouldnt do anything, it showed placement but when i clicked it just disappeared, no breaking or anything. I will try to give it another go and see if it may be a MP thing, and also test on Sp too. Ill try to get video as well if it doesnt work. Thanks again guys for looking into it.

- - - Updated - - -

I would guess that for folks living in the woods, a 1/2 level per day is not unreasonable. I got 1:1 and my daughter gots slightly less while near a medium size town. Some folks seem to get 1.5 level:1 day, but Im not sure how they did that.

I think we have established that the normal range for at least the first few weeks is .5-1.5 levels per day. This information should be useful to Spider as he decides how early to increase the mods difficulty curve.

As for wood drops, Spider is the "decider" on any changes to this mod, and I hope he does agree to globally reduce the amount of wood dropping. Jeo and I help him by creating items and code that he may or may not decide to use, and we offer him our counsel on issues of play-ability, style, and feature set. At this time I don't think he has made a final decision on the wood drops yet.

Trees SEEM fine at least from a noob level, but i will say those little bushes give like 5 or so branches for one punch and there is so many around I stopped chopping trees and started seeking the bushes out.

I know that crafting empty jars were removed for a reason, but can you consider adding a recipe back in for mid/end game players to purchase? Maybe some level of engineering as a gate? Here are my thoughts on this.

• To fill a bladder costs 30 bottled water - 30 empty jars gone forever.

• Glue - costs a bottled water and never returns an empty jar. Note that glue is used for A LOT of recipes, especially armors - this requires a substantial supply of empty jars to burn for glue.
  • Mixed chemicals - cost a grain alcohol and you never get the empty jar back once you make mixed chemicals with it.
  • Bow string - no return on empty jar.
  • Moldy bread - uses a bottled water that is gone forever - this means every lure costs an empty jar, every painkiller costs an empty jar, every antibiotic costs 4 empty jars, stimulants, shots, etc. Doctors, chemists, and fishermen need a large, steady supply of empty jars to be effective and utilize their professions.
  • Can meat - you get your empty jar back, but no can?
  • Fishing line - no empty jar return.
  • Lashing - no empty jar return.
  • Mead - this costs 30 bottles, you get 15 mead so ultimately this is a loss of 15 empty jars.
  • The Chicken coop is a huge net loss overall, and devastating to bottles. Three eggs cost a bottle. Thirty feather cost a bottle. A single hen costs 5 bottles. This ignores the vast water, seed nursery, and planting times for the corn.

Some possible solutions for these specific items:

Bladder seems easy, give back 5 empty jars when you take a drink or just use a bucket of water if you can only code in the return of one item (would need to create a new 'clean bucket of water'. Also, empty buckets should stack, filled buckets should not.

Bow string, fishing line, and lashing - just remove the water requirement. I am pretty sure these will work just fine if I pissed in the pot.

Moldy bread - Why can't I just toss the spoiled meat and let the two slices air dry in a humid environment? It's a chem station, after all, it would be trivial to set up a humid environment without water...even in a desert.

Canned meat - give back both the can and jar. If returning two items is not possible, remove the requirement for bottled water and change empty can to boiling water in a can. Allow us to craft empty cans on an anvil (5 scrap iron?).

Mead - If you don't want to reduce the bottled water requirement to 15, how about 6 water buckets? By the time I can craft mead, making 6 buckets and not getting any back isn't an problem. You could reduce the scrap iron required for buckets to 25 to compensate some, effectively making the recipe require 150 scrap iron instead of 30 bottled water and empty jars.

Chicken coop - If you ever get around to drastically reducing the corn requirement, I might actually use this. As it stands, requiring 50 corn (tons of calories here) is a waste for the meat I get. I would love to try this out, but to make it a feasible form of meat production I would need at least 5 of them...that's practically an entire farms worth of corn and incredible waste of time boiling 25 water I don't receive any benefit from. To sustain 250 corn I need 83 plants and seeds, that's almost an hour and a half of seed nursery time, time to plant it, water to grow it.... Not practical. Change to buckets of water here to address the empty jar issue. Like mead, I couldn't care less about crafting and losing buckets by this stage of the game assuming the trade off for corn was worth it.

Glue, grain alcohol, mixed chemicals, and any future recipes requiring a more purified water I propose a new workstation outlined below.

Add a new "Water Purifier" workstation for mid-late game use. Unlocks at level 25 (same as chemistry station), has similar material requirements/difficulty. Similar to the forge, it can smelt/store "water", "glass jars", and a new item called "Activated charcoal". Activated charcoal is made in a chemistry station with Coal, nitrate, and flowers. The station would allow you smelt: empty glass jars, activated charcoal, buckets of water. The station would then allow you craft "Filtered Water" (1 activated charcoal and 1 water) and "Filtered water in a Jar" (1 activated charcoal, 1 water, 1 jar). "Filtered Water" can only be used in recipes for glue, grain alcohol, mixed chemicals, etc and is not consumable. "Filtered water in a jar" would have the same effects as Red Tea. This has the added benefit of giving a chemical use for coal, extra use for flowers, and adds a bit of realism in the preparation of water used in chemical synthesis. This assumes when you smelt, you can only generate one item to store. If you can smelt and store more than one, you could allow players to toss murky bottled waters to get both a jar and water, for example. I chose buckets because we can craft them and they are pretty trivial as far as cost goes. It would be nice if you allowed them to stack when unfilled and reduced the cost by half to compensate.

Instead of buckets for all these, you could create a new item "flimsy pail" that costs 10 scrap iron and use this for bladders, mead, water purifier...

Either way, I think something should be done to allow mid and late game players to focus less on empty jar rationing and management. I think the solutions and workstation solves that, adds a bit of realism, provides an item sink for coal, nitrate, and flowers (none of which are renewable). Of course, the easiest solution would be to add the glass jar recipe back. =)

Trees SEEM fine at least from a noob level, but i will say those little bushes give like 5 or so branches for one punch and there is so many around I stopped chopping trees and started seeking the bushes out.

Bushes may need looking at as I only looked at "trees" as things that dropped wood in the previous build, not sticks. Maybe need to reduce the drop on those slightly, but yeah, I always sought those out at the beginning too.

I know that crafting empty jars were removed for a reason, but can you consider adding a recipe back in for mid/end game players to purchase? Maybe some level of engineering as a gate? Here are my thoughts on this.

Some possible solutions for these specific items:

Either way, I think something should be done to allow mid and late game players to focus less on empty jar rationing and management. I think the solutions and workstation solves that, adds a bit of realism, provides an item sink for coal, nitrate, and flowers (none of which are renewable). Of course, the easiest solution would be to add the glass jar recipe back. =)

Man, we love detailed suggestions like these! I think implementing some of these would be a great idea, and we will discuss this once Spider is back on the grid. In the meantime, this idea,

Bow string, fishing line, and lashing - just remove the water requirement. I am pretty sure these will work just fine if I pissed in the pot.

is so good I just could not wait for Spider to implement, so in preparation I made up the icon in advance.

pissPot.png.3ebf5bf0c2c3f77a5d47fce3b8ceee93.png

I'm sure your relieved to have this.

Was brainstorming with some people on the server. They recalled hygiene used to be in. Any chances we can see the return of that, possibly from getting hit by zombies and require making soap to wash it at like a washing station?

I seem to recall this feature/buff was so unpopular that Spider pulled the code out. The code is commented out but available in the old JZmod buff.xml So yeah, it could be put in, but would we want it to is the question.

I cannot reproduce this error. Spiders code for the minibikes is exactly the same as vanilla with the exception that the wheels have a different material type, but this does not seem to be causing the issue.

However, it looks like your turning radius is much tighter than vanilla. Compare your minibike handlebar settings in the item.xml file to the vanilla settings. It should have a property set to: <property name="VehicleMaxSteeringAngle" value="10,10" /> If the angle is much higher than this, it might be causing your issue. However, I have not tested this as I cannot reproduce your issue.

After fooling around with it for an hour I can't reproduce it, the XML's are set to a value of 10,10. I thought maybe it's a fitness instructor thing because of the speed bonus, but I don't know if that effects the mini bike. It seems to happen pretty often except when you want it to happen, I guess next few times it happens I'll try to analyze every single detail.

I seem to recall this feature/buff was so unpopular that Spider pulled the code out. The code is commented out but available in the old JZmod buff.xml So yeah, it could be put in, but would we want it to is the question.

I would love it back.

Very true i also remember people hating but if it was a very low chance it could be interesting. Gives another use for animal fat or tallow, and seeing a radioactive washing station would open that station up to other uses perhaps for radiation poisoning, Just an idea.

I always wanted this hygiene back, the main reason it was hated is you could not wash 'beforehand/in advance'. By design you could, but that thing was broken, so the timer ticked from the time you removed the 'dirty' buff, and if you washed yourself when you don't have this 'dirty' buff (like before you start on expedition), the timer didn't start.

I made a check that totally ignores the anti-nerdpole code while God Mode or Edit Mode is on. Flying, not so much. If you need to have the code bypassed for any reason, from now on, you should go into DM and be in God Mode. You would still be able to Nerd Pole there, as well as place blocks in places they should not go as God Mode normally allows. Simple change, as always the challenge was getting Wifi to upload it.

I think Jax's problem might have been related to SI, but just to be safe, here is the fix.

Link to current assembly

I have a few more things in the works, but at this time they're not even ready for public testing. One is a weather survival change. You know how sometimes you have to take your shorts off in order to warm up? That doesn't make sense, does it? Well this change would make not having any clothing in a particular slot be approximately equivalent to wearing the coolest piece of clothing possible in that slot. I'll release that for testing as soon as I get it tweaked to a point I'm confident you won't freeze to death.

Secondly, I'm working on allowing Tools for the Backpack mode. Use needles to make cloth, use a saw to scrap wood... that kind of thing. I just need to figure out how to save these tools to the player data file without breaking save-compatibility, otherwise you leave the game or get killed and those precious tools are vanished into the ether. I'm thinking, at this point, that it might be best to either have the tools be used from the tool-belt (imagine that) or directly from the backpack. That would save properly, but requires I basically start over in my code (which is fine, because the way it's going it would break save compatibility and be extremely hackish turning the backpack into an actual workstation)

I got more, but that's a bit farther off.

After fooling around with it for an hour I can't reproduce it, the XML's are set to a value of 10,10. I thought maybe it's a fitness instructor thing because of the speed bonus, but I don't know if that effects the mini bike. It seems to happen pretty often except when you want it to happen, I guess next few times it happens I'll try to analyze every single detail.

Try to start moving and turning immediately as you press the E button to hop onto the minibike. I was able to repeat this bug several times (got my bike destroyed xD) with this method.

So easy solution: Wait a few sec before you start turning with your bike :D

Try to start moving and turning immediately as you press the E button to hop onto the minibike. I was able to repeat this bug several times (got my bike destroyed xD) with this method.

So easy solution: Wait a few sec before you start turning with your bike :D

I am fairly sure this is a vanilla game issue and not a bug introduced by this mod as the mod does not change the bike code other than the wheel material.

I'm Back!

Well that sucked. lol Life is a little more boring than i remember it before the internet.

I think the server has been up and running this whole time. Bluefang changed our IP# and didnt tell me. So server is and has been up and running. The save game stll is good. New Info = 172.96.166.66 port 23104 pw= spider

Having some problems getting 7D2D to start up on my PC so ill respond to all the post in a few.

BUG:

Probably you already know this one. There are Monthly Magazines, that gives xp to a skill, if you "read" them. But if your inventory is full, you still the get the xp for the crafting, after that you can simply cancel the crafting, then pick up the book again.

Archived