[WIP] True Survival SDX

Spider

I still don't see the use of having many materials, besides of aestetics (and we will have painted textures for that in A16). Wood is used when you build something that is not expected to be attacked by zeds. Cobblestone is early game 'concrete'. Reinforced Concrete is midgame main material, metal blocks is a good alternative, steel is fabulously expensive late game material. I doubt there is a need to fine balance stats for bricks, flagstone, adobe as players don't generally use them. I do use them, but only because of their looks, so in A16 I will just use paint. So either Spider will think of something creative, something 'out of the box', or I'd say just make a 'stone' material and combine cobblestone/bricks/adobe/flagstone in it.

I reverted back to vanilla material hit points and I’ll adjust from there. I have it set up so punching anything hard give -2 damage to the player. You can still damage Wood by 1 but it also hurts you. Other hard surfaces receive no damage from being punched but still hurt the player’s hands.

The only issue I see is with Wood.

When a player first spawns in the world and has to gather sticks for that first Stone Axe they will already be at -20 health (2 stick bushes at 5 damage to break each).

@ShankyMcStabber-

Most of the bushes that drop sticks are of a "plant" material not wood so they dont hurt you. A few do need changing from wood or made so they are only one hit. I was thinking of this too. I kind of like the idea some one had a few pages back about the tree resource break down. So if you ran up and hit a bush (no pain) or a tree(little pain) you would get branches. Branches would be for early game tools like stone axe. When you chop it down you get a few sticks and a bunch of placable log blocks that could then be turned into firewood, or later planks and sticks. The Logs could be used to build early game and also crafted into a stronger block the Log Cabin. Maybe even a random chance for a bird nest or berries or something to fall out of the trees too.

@ShankyMcStabber-

Most of the bushes that drop sticks are of a "plant" material not wood so they dont hurt you. A few do need changing from wood or made so they are only one hit. I was thinking of this too. I kind of like the idea some one had a few pages back about the tree resource break down. So if you ran up and hit a bush (no pain) or a tree(little pain) you would get branches. Branches would be for early game tools like stone axe. When you chop it down you get a few sticks and a bunch of placable log blocks that could then be turned into firewood, or later planks and sticks. The Logs could be used to build early game and also crafted into a stronger block the Log Cabin. Maybe even a random chance for a bird nest or berries or something to fall out of the trees too.

I posted that, and would love to see it added to TS. Its realistic, if your starting off with poor tools and want to build something, you will be forced to use straw, sticks, logs, and if you had a Kiln, adobe/bricks. Log forts are historically accurate and offer reasonable protection until stone walls are available. Crafted wood blocks would be a later block, and be used for internal building, not exterior fortification.

@ShankyMcStabber-

Maybe even a random chance for a bird nest or berries or something to fall out of the trees too.

I frequently mod my server to have trees drop 1-2 feathers after you chop them down. I figured that would be what the player scavenged from any birds nests they found in the tree itself.

If you see the spider's original post, his new materials have very minor hitpoints difference.

It's not the specific hitpoints that I'm pointing at (notice that I'm responding to a post before he made that post, and that I'm currently using the True Survival "Umpteen billion hitpoints" model). It's the progression I'm pointing out.

You don't use those materials right now except for aesthetics because, at this point, there ARE no reasons to use them except for aesthetics. My suggestion was to give them a more logical progression and cost/benefit situation. Specifics on exactly how many hitpoints be damned.

I frequently mod my server to have trees drop 1-2 feathers after you chop them down. I figured that would be what the player scavenged from any birds nests they found in the tree itself.

Same. I edited the master trees to drop them on harvest, tho.

Shorts awards no crafting XP

Are you saying you got shorted some exp? <grin>

- - - Updated - - -

Same. I edited the master trees to drop them on harvest, tho.

I also like that as long as the feather drop in nests is reduced to compensate.

Can this new 'materials hit back' feature you are working on be somehow tied in with the already implemented 'new spawn safety buffer' feature ?

That way you could perhaps wrangle it that the damage to player is reduced/negated within this buffer, therefore allowing things to be punched at little to no cost during a players most vulnerable moment.

Can this new 'materials hit back' feature you are working on be somehow tied in with the already implemented 'new spawn safety buffer' feature ?

That way you could perhaps wrangle it that the damage to player is reduced/negated within this buffer, therefore allowing things to be punched at little to no cost during a players most vulnerable moment.

No... why would you need it to? Are you punching trees and rocks and brick houses down in the first few minutes of your game, at this point? Or are you gathering grass and twigs and little rocks and crafting a stone axe like a normal person?

No... why would you need it to? Are you punching trees and rocks and brick houses down in the first few minutes of your game, at this point? Or are you gathering grass and twigs and little rocks and crafting a stone axe like a normal person?

There was just a couple of posts earlier, regarding early player health being affected by this new mechanic.

There have been games where I had to punch trees and rocks because I couldn't find any bushes or little rocks if my life depended on it.................and it did.

This mod seems to have more lil rocks on the ground than any other i played lol. Ive had times ive had to punch trees, rocks

It's to give you an illusion of abundance and arrogance, before completely destroying your spirit and will to survive.

8950812.jpg

In the loot.xml there are numerous references to 'wielder' but no references to 'welder' the creative menu finds items for both 'wielder' and 'welder'

A welder who wields a welder is called a wielder. Clear?

There was just a couple of posts earlier, regarding early player health being affected by this new mechanic.

I'm looking for the post you're saying exists, but... All I see is talk of Bushes and Stone Walls... NOTHING about early player health. In fact, the only official posts about health points I can see are where spider is saying he is putting the material hit points back to vanilla numbers and adjusting them from there... which means that at 1 damage per punch, it would take around 200 hits to totally destroy a tree, and 400 to totally destroy a Boulder... but you would get 5 stones and 5 sticks long before that point anyways.

Punch a rock, fine. It might hurt a little, but you will be able to get enough to craft what you need. Just don't try to punch a tree or a boulder into a pile of nothingness with your fists. That won't work out well.

And it's not that I don't WANT to make your fists invincible for a few minutes when you start a new character, it's that what you're asking isn't possible without rewriting half the code I already wrote and a handful of similar code needing to be written in a couple different areas of the file. You have this knack for asking things which seem very basic but actually aren't at all simple to implement.

So yes, this will affect you from the first minute of a new game. No, I can't stop that. And it won't prevent you from getting enough materials to craft a stone axe anyways. I mean, possibly if the server is completely devoid of all boulders, small rocks, bushes, trees, or anything of the like anywhere within a few chunks of where you spawned... but if that's the case the server is broken and stripped of all it's resources, and not this mechanic that is the problem.

@Xamllew-

The Drying Rack is also used to make Sunflower Seeds and dry Pot and Tobacco so using the leather drying rack might not make since.

Sorry about the late reply:

I think the table is worse in a lot of ways, first off why is it that a recipe of sticks and plant fibers results in a metal table that looks like something youd get at Ikea, it also blends into furniture and isn't really visually self explanatory, all the other work stations are fairly self explanatory because they have details that show you what it is used for.

@Xamllew-

Its very simple actually. It was a free asset that I had left over and that was the last workstation that did not have an original mesh so 1 and 1 = little plastic table for Drying Rack. I think it looks better than what it would have been, a wooden block with a re skinned black top.

@Tetrameth-

Soil, Cloth, Plants and organics do not hurt the players hands and can be hurt with player hands. Wood will hurt the players hands when hit but the player can hurt wood. Stone and Metals will hurt the players hands and can not be hurt by the players hands,

@Jeoshua-

Welcome to my world Jeoshua! :)

Maybe a simple work-around (i'm not convinced its needed though) for the early game hand injury issue is to start all classes with a pair of "old gloves" that will last for about a few dozen punches and will mitigate the hand damage. And before Jeo tells me its not that simple I'm basing this of the idea that armor class assigned to the glove might mitigate the damage without recoding, but might be very wrong on that.

Archived