[WIP] True Survival SDX

Spider

I messed about in creative a bit with a build, and it seems neither the steel pickaxe nor the steel fireaxe make any mining sounds (I only hear whoosh, but no clank ;)).

Also, the barbed wire fences can't be picked up. Is the mod description just outdated on this?

ETA: Oh, and the lockpicks seem to have no icon, it's completely blank and only shows the count.

ETA2: The Goodnight has no icon either.

omfg i opened a storage container (building one i think) and looted another kind of container which brings a full mini-bike inside. Maybe i was super lucky cause i have quality joe at 1. Also looted a generator and forge out of a car! I won't complain as i feel like karma in that world is paying back (you don't wanna know how many times i died there lol), but it also feels like a bit op. Just reporting in case it helps anybody looking for this goodies or if it has to be corrected i'd accept it. Anyways i'm the most happy lucky-ass dude in that world :)

omfg i opened a storage container (building one i think) and looted another kind of container which brings a full mini-bike inside. Maybe i was super lucky cause i have quality joe at 1.

Bike-in-a-box are not too rare, to compensate for all the bugs and glitches that cause you to lose your bike. That said, I have never yet lost my bike in this playthrough, but I'm very cautious. I always stop and wait for some 5-10 seconds before I get off it, to let the surroundings to load properly. And if it glitches and teleports away, I search nearby, maybe trace my steps backwards, and was always lucky to find it.

upd: just after I posted this, I lost my bike :) It teleported away after I got off it, but I was clever enough to turn its headlight ON before getting off. So I searched around and found the shining and dug the bike from under the terrain.

I messed about in creative a bit with a build, and it seems neither the steel pickaxe nor the steel fireaxe make any mining sounds (I only hear whoosh, but no clank ;)).

Also, the barbed wire fences can't be picked up. Is the mod description just outdated on this?

ETA: Oh, and the lockpicks seem to have no icon, it's completely blank and only shows the count.

The reason lockpick and goodnight bat do not have icons is that the item name and the icon name do not match regarding capitalization. You can fix this yourself by changing the icon filename to match the item name or wait for Spider to get around to fixing it in a future release.

As for the no sound on the steel items, that is related to the fact that Spider created a new steel material called Msteel and used that for those items. That material has a new damage category (steel rather than metal) that probably does not have a sound associated with it yet.

I'm not good with xml, but I could not find a nailgun schematics there. Is it there in game? If it is, where can I find it (tier 2 or tier 3)?

That schematic exists in the items.xml but it is not in the loot.xml so you cant find it. It should be listed in either the tier2 or 3 loot table depending on which Spider thinks best. Either cheat yourself one, or add it to a loot table until Spider can patch this.

I have 2 endgame bugs to report.

1. Auto crossbow skill is locked by the crossbow perk level 3, yet there is only 2 levels possible to buy. The description says there's 3 levels and the recipe for the auto crossbow cylinder is locked until level 3, but in the perk list the skill has 2 levels (2/2 max). I tried to buy the 3rd level also but it says the skill is maxed.

2. The last stage of the chicken coop seems broken. All parts up to using the hen seem to be working correctly. Once i pick up the hen and use it on the coop with plant fiber in inventory, i lose 1 plant fiber but nothing else happens. If i continue to use the same hen on other coops the hen starts to lose durability slowly. The coop stays at level 2 however, and nothing else seems to change. Am i doing something wrong? I'm assuming its broken since the other stages worked just fine.

Also, is there a way to craft lead car batteries? Would be good to be able to craft them since they are used for medkits, and you might wanna carry alot of medkits in the endgame. Esp if you already disassembled all cars in the region and used up the batteries or got raided for example.

I noticed that many of the advanced food recipes that use multiple ingredients give pretty bad wellness to fullness ratios. So if you intend to raise your wellness, they are generally useless, even if you have like 5 different ingredients available. To motivate gathering or farming multiple ingredients, the ratio should improve a little for added ingredients. (Though as i said in my previous post, i think farmers should not have as many exclusive plants as they do atm, since its just one profession, yet farming is important for all)

I actually hacked up a fix for that, last night. It's less of a general fix than my previous hack. Basically, the sounds for surface-on-surface contact are hard coded. Previously Steel Pickaxe was "metal". Now it's "MSteel". So there are no sound effects for it. I went into the assembly and told it to use the "surface" part of the material instead of it's id, and then changed the materials file to have the surface be metal while leaving the forge and damage categories as steel.

feedback

So, while Spider is suffering from scorching sun, sea sickness and internet withdrawal, we are having awesome time playing his mod. I am level 81 currently and here is my feedback:

All in all it is the best version of the mod, and the most balanced one. The initial 'stone age' lasted short (compared to the previous non-sdx version) and I didn't even feel tired of it. I did almost no grinding, but about lvl 50-60 my progress halted. So to gain access to steel I started grinding full throttle and it tooks me some real time days of hardcore grinding to get from lvl 60 to 75. My suggestion would be to move 'iron age' a bit later, lvl 30-35, OR to move steel to lvl 60, to make the progression feel more linear. That is IMHO, so lets listen to other people's feedback. I think the idea of primitive/journeyman/master crafting was very good, it doesn't push you to mindless grinding, but lets you make things you actually need to level skills. For examle, I don't have to craft hundreds of iron tools (and immediately smelt them back) to level 'journeyman', but I can craft concrete blocks that I actually need for my tower. But not all skills allow that sadly. So I am worried about your future plans of 'each item has its own skill'. I hate grinding so much, and by grinding I mean 'crafting things you don't actually need'.

The new RWG is great and feels refreshing. I was a bit dissapointed that I can no longer find my favorite biome Pine Forest near water (as this rwg is altitude based) and I'm not a fan of those new red pines, but in the whole I enjoy the world greatly. All the new cars give so much joy, military vehicles look badass! I have never set my foot in Wasteland since TFP put mines there, but now you made me go there and search through all those tanks! Good job. The wasteland looks fantastic, a real battlefield. Can we have Plains biome have a different color on the map? Currently it is indistinguishable from Maple Forest.

Mining feels confusing, especially finding iron. We would appreciate if you elaborate about what ore in what biome and at what depth could be found. Even with steel tools it is hard to cut through hardstone and noone wants to dig blindly. Btw, I like the hardstone texture.

The lag is always there. NPC are still plentiful. I remember you were reducing them several times since they were first implemented, but I don't see the reduction. I suspect something is wrong with the way you reducing them. Maybe, as an experiment, reduce them 100 times and check if we see the difference? Too bad that killing NPC survivors is against my principles :) What happend to that idea of putting them in certain POIs and making us 'liberate' them? Maybe in future?

Melee is harder than before, partially because of spear nerf, partially because of lag. The 'good' thing is I finally enjoy all the marvelous wound system. The 'running through' fighting technique helps a lot, but still I got stunned and bitten countless times, often had severe wound and had bio infection twice. Good job.

The Poison. Now I ask you to listen to us and take it to heart. The current poisoning mechanic doesn't stand to this mod's high standards. You did a great job with wound system, and yet the poisoning is a simple ON/OFF event. As others put it, poisoning here is much deadlier than zombie virus. It is very luck based, three times I was poisoned by a spider completely hidden under terrain. Before you have access to grain alcohol it is certain death, after you have the access it has no consequenses. I would change that the way the bite/virus works. You only die if you don't treat the wound properly. And until it heals it still applies some negative buffs. This system works for both starting and high level players.

Crops trumpling (not sure about the spelling). I hate when zeds trumple WILD crops. Can it be removed for wild crops? If not, can the wild crops be made to respawn? If not, can you change it so the minibike doesn't trumple crops? I have no flowers left near my tower :(

Crowbar/hand dolly. I don't see how it is better than the old wrenching mechanic. This new crowbar is not working very good. Sometimes it breaks without result, some stations cannot be moved with it, and most importantly you cannot rotate the station when placing it again. I remember you introduced this HandDolly to prevent raiders take your workstations, but they still can take them with Crowbars. So I vote to remove this new mechanic and go back to wrenches.

That your idea of different tools (clawhammer, wrench and screwdriver) give different results when disassembling things should definetely be implemented.

Can we have some more variety for crafted containers? Just for looks. I spend too much time ingame and I'd love to furniture my place with a bit of taste. All the new workstations help a lot, but for storage we have those old boxes and chests. You let us craft gun safes and steel gun safes (awesome), but let us craft all the drawers, medicine cabinets, refrigerators, book shelves, desks, cabinets, beverage coolers and lockers. And make them all have maximum (8x8) storage space, like the rest crafted storage containers.

Blood Moon Horde. Most people don't fight feral horde. I live in my base-on-stilts, other people have their secure bases, and most players log off for the feral night. Yes, there is one or two players on our server who came out and fought the horde, but they are badass exceptions. As I understand it, you see that we don't die to 7day horde and you buff zombies and their numbers, but that only makes us evade the horde even more. I would do it the opposite way, I would give us a chance against Blood Moon Feral Horde Running Dogs Cops Ferals Brutes and I would gladly abandon my safe stilts and try something new.

We need more variety for supply drops (and for treasure chests). I have 20+ beakers and countless calipers. And I have hard time finding some basic gun parts (I have a dozen RifleParts, but no RifleStock or RifleBarrel, full box of different SMG parts but only one SMG stock etc). Maybe just bad luck. I searched countless military vehicles and found all kinds of loot, but not the Grenade Launcher Schematics.

Cigars are plentiful, but not of much use. Maybe make some OP profession (mechanic?) have a smoking addiction, so he needs to smoke 1-2 cigars a day or he has a withdrawal?

Field Knife gives too much hunting XP when used, Taza axe levels blade weapons too fast.

Chicken Coop needs ingame description, we have hard time figuring out how it works. And it is bugged (last stage?).

And here are some bugs:

- Nailgun book is missing from loot?

- ACW aim is wrong when aiming down the sights

- UMP has no icon

- M4A1 icon is wrong (looks like SCAR)

- crossbow lvl 3 skill is missing, doesn't let you craft autocrossbow

- steel armor smelts for twice steel than is used to craft it

- steel helmet is bugged (no face only eyes visible)

- seed nursery description mentions generator, but it doesn't require it

- handlebars are gunsmithing?

- The Shark knife levels hunting skill? Should not it be Blade Weapons?

20170325031446_1.thumb.jpg.83812d918fa5a45ae07c8395d1e6469e.jpg

20170325033317_1.thumb.jpg.baecb0ff0b52ddfe09dd523b2694e884.jpg

All in all it is the best version of the mod, and the most balanced one etc...

Excellent review, I strongly agree with you on pretty much every point with great emphasis on balancing the metalworker, working on the balance for poison eg: percentage chance based on armor you are wearing, excessive frequency of NPC's [and calipers in supply drops], Taza axe skill leveling imbalance and finding a more useful mechanic for cigars/cigarettes etc. [also, shouldn't joints make your char hungry?]

I also agree this mod has come along nicely and I agree with all the comments so far. I do think a few changes would make horde night something worth worrying about though. I help solved this by doing a few small changes:

1. Add new "hands" that specifically target certain material types. Acid hands that melt steel fast, increasing damage to wood on the existing fire hands, and buffing material damage to the fire and acid puke missiles. Adding a wedge hand that targets stone is something im considering as well

2. Most importantly though, I think the explosion range of all exploding Zeds should exceed the SI rating of all but truss blocks. That makes perching above and below (using 50 columns) dangerous, where it is perfectly safe now. I'd also recommend adding exploders that trigger with less damage and ones like suicide mole that triggers without damage to encourage an active defense and address those folks who like to run around on mega stamina buff and bop the night away. Fast exploders and mole would be a greater challenge to those folks.

3. Reduce the slowing effect of barbed wire and spikes. At .07 and .08 movement factor its way too unrealistic. How would tiny barbs hold dead flesh still until it broke? Maybe the spikes assuming a full impail, but not the barbwire or log spikes.

Oh and that poison, like others said, needs work.

That would make people avoid the horde nights even more.

Perhaps in MP, but I think that there would be no avoiding horde night in TS single player, as digging down more than 5 blocks is not possible until late game so your only choice becomes active defense. I think the only way allowed in the current game mechanics to "force" people on MP to always avoid bloodmoons is to place so key items needed to advance past midgame on zombies that only spawn during blood moons. So thats their only change to get those items unless they trade for them with other players.

Perhaps in MP, but I think that there would be no avoiding horde night in TS single player, as digging down more than 5 blocks is not possible until late game so your only choice becomes active defense. I think the only way allowed in the current game mechanics to "force" people on MP to always avoid bloodmoons is to place so key items needed to advance past midgame on zombies that only spawn during blood moons. So thats their only change to get those items unless they trade for them with other players.

It would be nice to change the blood moon from every 7th server day, to every 7th played day per player.

It would be nice to change the blood moon from every 7th server day, to every 7th played day per player.

This is the age old debate right? On MP servers the current way horde night is handled is NOT welcoming at all. We are seeing players who are new log out and try to avoid the horde and with good reason. When you have had only one game day to prepare in a great mod like this horde night becomes almost impossible.

Even with us skipping the first 7th day horde we have new members who are logging in at day 20 and not returning. If we remove hordes it becomes boring. What is the solution? Who knows, certainly nothing Spider can do about it. I miss the old horde system to be honest. If new players didnt have the right equipment to fight it they could gather with us to fight the horde. Now if they come to others they can greatly reduce the horde count. If they try to go it alone they will almost certainly become frustrated. But the old horde system? They can just group up at a central spot and we can "look out" for them until they are ready to fully participate.

One other thing I think this mod could benefit greatly from is more information "ingame" regarding the required tools/workbenches to produce a given item. If you dont know the mod inside out, it can be a PITA to go through all the different workbenches [or even more so, to have to dig through the xml's] just to find out the skill/workbench requirements.

On a farmer char I can craft the "seed nursery", but I cannot craft the "iron hoe" without unlocking the appropriate perk, which happens to be "seed nursery"

Kind of makes the iron hoe recipe cost 40 points which is pretty overkill. So farmer quest of 'make an iron hoe' then rewards 1 point but ends up costing 39 points.

It might be nice to have an alternative recipe for the wood working bench for those who have no luck finding electrical parts. It's frustrating to have so much of my progress gated by a single resource.

Do you have or can you make a wrench? Electrical parts are almost never found by looting, but are more than plentiful when wrenching things.

Do you have or can you make a wrench? Electrical parts are almost never found by looting, but are more than plentiful when wrenching things.

Now it makes sense, I figured I needed the workbench before I could get to the forge for some reason.

This mod needs its own wiki.

Archived