Steel Polish Recipe (Steel Smithing III)

Krhymez

Is there any chance you can add the steel polish recipe and have it unlock with Steel smithing III.

Currently Anything past Steel I is pointless, since you get enough springs and mechanical parts in the world. And it cost 30 points for each level... making it a perk that very few would buy.

I would love to see Steel polish have a recipe in the Chem Station and become unlocked with Steel Smithing III.

Part of the point of only being able to get the polish at the traders is to get you to come out of your base. I will agree that by the time you can make mechanical parts, you've already scavenged enough for most items to have been made. Depending on the requirements for the A16 traps though, this may change.

a lot of people like being able to craft items normally only gained from loot - salvage - wrenching,

It is only "useless" if you are min-maxing, and that is fine, but you dont necessarily represent everyone.

I agree that once you have the workbench, and can make wrenches for yourself, that springs and Mechanical parts become largely abundant if you wrench everything. Im sure its just like kattenijin said, intentionally unique wares for sale from the trader to keep traders significant in some small way later in the game.

Part of the point of only being able to get the polish at the traders is to get you to come out of your base.
Except for polish, I usually have everything I need/want by the time i have enough Dukes to afford it from the trader. Of course, I haven't been able to afford enough polish to matter...

I support a recipe for this because damn. With max barter it costs around 2000 dukes for enough to coat two (2) pieces of concrete. Any damage taken then can only be repaired by this stuff so you have to keep buying it and if it breaks it goes back to concrete.

It costs 1600ish dukes for enough to coat 2. Although your also leaving off that at max barter you can also just sell 50 bottles of water and get nearly 1200 dukes, so its incredibly easy to make money.

It costs 1600ish dukes for enough to coat 2. Although your also leaving off that at max barter you can also just sell 50 bottles of water and get nearly 1200 dukes, so its incredibly easy to make money.

Hence the word around. But hey a thousand water jugs to repair after a horde night. To each their own though don't the traders stop taking stuff after a bit.

Hence the word around. But hey a thousand water jugs to repair after a horde night. To each their own though don't the traders stop taking stuff after a bit.

Correct. They have a max in stock value for each items. I belive this is a setting in the xml.

I have one trader that won't take hunting rifles or parts for like 2 weeks LOL

- - - Updated - - -

This mat should be craftable but require loot only drops such as oil or brass etc.

If your wanting to create a huge base out of it then its going to take work and time. You still have steel available to use, and if you want a recipe for it you can always mod it in. Some stuff should be rare and difficult to get, your entire base shouldn't be made out of the strongest material in the game. It should be used strategically to strengthen key parts where zombies are likely to attack.

• 1 month later...

Steel Polish Recipe I use

Okay so... Here's my steel polish recipe that I use.

I'll explain why these ingredients. Steel polish in manufacturing is made from chromium III oxide. I pretend that snow berries are grapes which are high in chromium, as is corn, hence the need for snowberry extract, then potassium nitrate simply b/c you need some form of nitrate to make it, then murky water for additional yeast (high in chromium again) and oxides in the water. I haven't made a requirement to make steel smithing 3 simply b/c I don't know how to do that. But now I have a use for snowberry anything.

<recipe name="steelPolish" count="1" craft_area="chemistryStation">

<ingredient name="snowberryExtract" count="1"/>

<ingredient name="potassiumNitratePowder" count="1"/>

<ingredient name="bottledRiverWater" count="1"/>

</recipe>

I'd like a recipe. I might try Satrazzi's.

I already modified some XML files to give some steel blocks the stainless steel texture. It doesn't improve the block, but it makes it easier to see when the block is damaged and needs repair.

- - - Updated - - -

One more thing: In one game, I made steel blocks impenetrable by changing the "collide" value to "movement" only. The only problem with that is that if I want to destroy the block, I can't. Then I realized I can upgrade the block to stainless steel, and then destroy it. It degrades to concrete, which I also destroy. Block gone.

I like the fact that you HAVE to buy polish as it becomes "My Precious!".

I save up to buy more and so trade heavily with two or more traders. Makes late game a little more interesting.

I only use this when the trader is out. We don't bunker down, we build death pits on my server and spend horde nights outside. We go through a lot of steel polish. Also having to collect snowberries makes it so you can't just hermit away in your bunker =P

Archived