Steel Polish Recipe (Steel Smithing III)

Krhymez

Okay so... Here's my steel polish recipe that I use.

I'll explain why these ingredients. Steel polish in manufacturing is made from chromium III oxide. I pretend that snow berries are grapes which are high in chromium, as is corn, hence the need for snowberry extract, then potassium nitrate simply b/c you need some form of nitrate to make it, then murky water for additional yeast (high in chromium again) and oxides in the water. I haven't made a requirement to make steel smithing 3 simply b/c I don't know how to do that. But now I have a use for snowberry anything.

<recipe name="steelPolish" count="1" craft_area="chemistryStation">

<ingredient name="snowberryExtract" count="1"/>

<ingredient name="potassiumNitratePowder" count="1"/>

<ingredient name="bottledRiverWater" count="1"/>

</recipe>

Okay, I now have it set to need Steel Smithing 3 (which means my partner on the server has to use it, b/c I don't have steel smithing 3 as of yet)

In the progression.xml search for steel smithing (ctrl+f) then add this line in the obvious spot:

<recipe name="steelPolish" unlock_level="3"/>

I support a recipe for this because damn. With max barter it costs around 2000 dukes for enough to coat two (2) pieces of concrete. Any damage taken then can only be repaired by this stuff so you have to keep buying it and if it breaks it goes back to concrete.

Making money isn't the problem, it's the lack of money sinks in the game that needs to be addressed.

I bet if you focused on making lots of money you'd be rolling in it.

I hit 1 million just after day 75 once. Just trying to see how much I could make.

[Even had to add 10's and 50's to the game to save space.]

Keeping steel polish trader-sold only is a good idea.

I'd like to see more things trader only.

Perhaps in late-game we could have harder zombies that come out which would create the demand for better armour/weapons/defenses.

All could be trader-only or perhaps partially [like materials or base components.]

At some point we need to accept that economy is coming to 7DTD.

If we are going to see colonies, [and we will, MM confirmed it...for waaaaaay down the road unfortunately,] we have to expect that economy is going to force TFP to create money sinks.

That means limiting what we can make and gather on our own.

Otherwise why bother ever trading?

For now, however, mod the game the way YOU want to play and if that means making a recipe for steel polish then go for it.

I'm a big fan of play-how-you-want. :D

I never really liked the idea that magic juice made a steel plate stronger.

If you want to make steel wall stronger, make it thicker with more steel.

The navy figured that out with Iowa battleships

50380.jpg.5f600efa92a8f32517e09b09bebb4d91.jpg

If a 2" thick door is strong, a 17" thick door is stronger... who needs magic juice

Bimbie, are you telling me that polishing the surface of steel to make it nice and shiny doesn't make it stronger?!?!?!

Whaaaaaaa? it must be witchcraft!

Seriously though, you are 100% correct. It seems like they made an arbitrary enhancer for the strongest block just so they would have something unique to sell at the traders. I'm sure it was in needing a money sink, pure and simple.

Bimbie, are you telling me that polishing the surface of steel to make it nice and shiny doesn't make it stronger?!?!?!

Whaaaaaaa? it must be witchcraft!

Actaully, polishing some things definitely makes them stronger, though I am not sure if it makes much of a difference in metals. Stone axes started out as an angular fractured rock with a sharp edge, and evolved into polished and shaped axe heads with drilled holes for mounting to a handle. Polishing was a time and labor intensive purpose and was done because it actually resulted in an axe head that could stand up to longer and harder use.

• 1 year later...
Guest Nyteshade12134
Is there any chance you can add the steel polish recipe and have it unlock with Steel smithing III.

Currently Anything past Steel I is pointless, since you get enough springs and mechanical parts in the world. And it cost 30 points for each level... making it a perk that very few would buy.

I would love to see Steel polish have a recipe in the Chem Station and become unlocked with Steel Smithing III.

This is the closest I can come, I believe you will be satisfied.

First, Add this code to your recipes.xml:

<recipe name="steelPolish" count="1" craft_area="chemistryStation">

<ingredient name="oil" count="2"/>

<ingredient name="crushedSand" count="5"/>

<ingredient name="grainAlcohol" count="1"/>

<ingredient name="animalFat" count="10"/>

<ingredient name="coal" count="6"/>

</recipe>

Next, edit Steel smithing in your progression.xml to the following:

<perk name="Steel Smithing" icon="resource" description_key="steelSmithingDesc" title_key="steelSmithing" max_level="1" skill_point_cost_multiplier="0" skill_point_cost_per_level="15" group="tools">

<requirement skill_level="1" required_skill_name="craftSkillTools" required_skill_level="6"/>

<requirement skill_level="1" required_skill_name="craftSkillWeapons" required_skill_level="4"/>

<requirement skill_level="1" required_skill_name="craftSkillScience" required_skill_level="3"/>

<recipe name="forgeCrucible" unlock_level="1"/>

<recipe name="forgedSteel" unlock_level="1"/>

<recipe name="spring" unlock_level="1"/>

<recipe name="steelPolish" unlock_level="1"/>

</perk>

Restart your game and enjoy.

It takes approximately 2 minutes to craft in a chemistry station.

Is there any chance you can add the steel polish recipe and have it unlock with Steel smithing III.

Currently Anything past Steel I is pointless, since you get enough springs and mechanical parts in the world. And it cost 30 points for each level... making it a perk that very few would buy.

I would love to see Steel polish have a recipe in the Chem Station and become unlocked with Steel Smithing III.

I used my own the recipe for steel polish. It's been a while, so I don't recall the exact composition, but my goal was to make sure it's not a trivial thing to make. I had both farmed materials and bones from Zs as part of that recipe.

The way I look at it, it doesn't really offer that much of a benefit over regular reinforced concrete, but it's one more thing to pretty up your base with, so why not. Traders don't really offer enough of it to work with.

• 9 months later...

Polish recipe

I made a recipe in my chem station for one oil plus aloe equals one steel polish. Forces me to grow lots of aloe as it takes 4 plants per unit of aloe cream.

If this is indeed a real recipe that you've created and actually works would I please be able to get said recipe from you? I apologize if I'm blunt but ever since they removed the polish from the game I've been searching for a way to get it back into the game for my brother and I. So that being said if this is a real working recipe I'd love to acquire it .

Archived