A16 Valmod Pack

Valmar

The "Loki"-receipts do not have thumbnails.

You're referring to lokiStew and lokiWater, I assume. They were supposed to have customicon properties in the code but I must had overlooked that. Easy fix.

Nice mod..but...wtf....ferals on day 2....

and dont understand me wrong I like the challenge only I didnt count for crawler ferals lol.

Don't be too alarmed. They're not as tanky as traditional ferals. 450 health. To put into perspective the fat guys have 300. They drop pretty decent loot too.

Ways to balance Trading Posts:

* Only capable of 4 'trades' per day.

* RNG based what's available any given day.

* Finite number of each item available per day.

* High local heat reduces effectiveness, limiting number of items available and available trades per day.

* Choose how many coins to stock before you can open it, and get a single item randomly chosen from a table depending on how many coins you load in.

* Make it generate very high levels of heat to use, almost ensuring a screamer whenever a trade takes place.

* Require bartered items in addition to coins.

* Food is meant to be scarce, which is why TFP is constantly nerfing food drop rates, so it should either be rare, or expensive, if not both.

* Survivors Notes required for trading in addition to currency for pricing. Gives something to use them on other than skill bumping once you have all the schematics you need unlocked. Plus makes us make hard decisions earlier in the game.

* Only capable of 4 'trades' per day.-

Might be possible if I place in a long timer. Though at the same time whats to stop them from just making a bunch of them and skirting over the limitation

* RNG based what's available any given day.

Not possible with XML files alone.

* Finite number of each item available per day.

Not possible with XML files alone.

* High local heat reduces effectiveness, limiting number of items available and available trades per day.

Should be possible.

* Choose how many coins to stock before you can open it, and get a single item randomly chosen from a table depending on how many coins you load in.

While you can make it "upgrade" with a coin and then give out random loot having it vary depending on the amount of coins spent is impossible. Blocks can only have one single upgrade path.

* Make it generate very high levels of heat to use, almost ensuring a screamer whenever a trade takes place.

Tricky but should be possible, to a point. I dont think I can make it summon a specific zombie but I can give it a heatmap. How well it actually works is up to the game engine. Spawning isn't exactly the greatest thing in the world.

* Require bartered items in addition to coins.

While technically possible it would require a ton of recipes to factor in all the possible bartered items. I can't make a recipe have a "either or" tag so you can craft this if you have X, Y, or Z. Each individual recipe, even for the same item, if it uses different ingredients would need to have its own recipe.

* Food is meant to be scarce, which is why TFP is constantly nerfing food drop rates, so it should either be rare, or expensive, if not both.

I don't necessarily share the Pimp's vision when it comes to food. In cased my buffed animal meat, more food items and animal traps didn't make that clear lol.

* Survivors Notes required for trading in addition to currency for pricing. Gives something to use them on other than skill bumping once you have all the schematics you need unlocked. Plus makes us make hard decisions earlier in the game.

I suppose I could do that but at most it would only need one note. Maybe the head-cannon is that the note tells them what you want to trade for.

Do you ever intend to add the vanilla blocks without recipes into your mod?

Just added the ones from clockworks mod over, did jam pack it all into the workbench so not the best but was curious if you ever plan on adding them.

Btw, if you ever need assistance due to amount of work/time you put into this game, more then willing to help. I bet multiple other people are as well.

I do add recipes for quite a few vanilla blocks that didn't have recipes. Frankly, Im just not a builder or creative person. I don't know what other recipes people would actually want. I have considered making a decorating workbench specifically for all these "cosmetic" blocks to keep the main workstation from being cluttered with too much useless crap. If I had a list of recipes people are legit interested in then I am open to adding them. I just don't think people really care about having 50 recipes for road signs and mail boxes.

I don't think schematics should be available, but if they are, make them out of this world expensive.

Well, they can already buy schematics with survivor notes. So I dont plan to let them use coins for that too.

- Arrows have supposedly had xp buffed since 2.4, but bolts don't appear to.

- The Survivor spawns with an iron crossbow, and a crossbow schematic. The survivor, however, will never be able to reach 50 archery to repair the iron crossbow before it breaks.

- Carpentry book costs 14 survivor notes (and is the only way you are ever going to find it unless you're lucky as hell), but masonry only costs 10, and cement mixing is a perk. This means that the weakest building material... is presently also one of the hardest to acquire. On top of that you need to expend iron to upgrade each block, and that very rapidly adds up. Glue, while renewable, still isn't viable. So wood is: The most expensive building schematic to unlock; The weakest block to build with; The most wasteful to upgrade based on cost to block hp.

- Plant seeds will sometimes try to plant apple saplings, which will often fail depending on the location of the farm and what you're planting around it, failing to plant anythign and thereby wasting the seed.

Arrows -

I noticed the bolts after Kickz' video. When I had written almost everything that was added to 14.6's build of my mod it was actually all on the 14.5 build. Right as I finished the Pimps updated the game so I had to port all my changes back over. This was one of the things I missed in that porting, apparently. Excuses, excuses. The bolts will be taken care of in the next update though. Sorry for the oversight.

Survivor Crossbow -

I let the survivor spawn with the iron crossbow largely as a way of showing new players that there IS an iron crossbow. In the same way that the bruiser spawns with a combat axe. These are more meant as temporary glimpses into what is possible.

Carpentry books -

Fair point. Masonry will now cost 20 notes!

In all seriousness though I will try to balance the note cost. Also I feel the need to keep reminding people that you can get nails from destroying wooden blocks in prefabs or cabinets and tables. Its not entirely reliant on you finding scrap iron.

Plant seeds -

That is because different plants require different fertile levels to grow. It is why the description of the seed specifically tells you to plant it on fertile earth. If you plant it and it turns out it is a seed that requires fertile earth to grow then it will be wasted if you tried to plant it on grass.

If you're going to be making a lot of changes I think it would be nice to figure out a way to prevent the mass crafting spam for XP/Levels like we spoke about before.

As of now, I know a few people on my server will simply craft the most simplest of items in order to gain XP and levels. Sometimes its a wooden club to level weapon crafting or it could be a cloth glove for tailoring, and so on.

I think with your introduction of allowing notes to be turned into skills points for each skill was a welcome addition. If we were to make the survivor notes more common it may allow for the complete removal of gaining skill points and xp points from mass crafting.

Maybe the pimps at some point could address this and implement a much better diminishing returns system.

If you're going to be making a lot of changes I think it would be nice to figure out a way to prevent the mass crafting spam for XP/Levels like we spoke about before.

As of now, I know a few people on my server will simply craft the most simplest of items in order to gain XP and levels. Sometimes its a wooden club to level weapon crafting or it could be a cloth glove for tailoring, and so on.

I think with your introduction of allowing notes to be turned into skills points for each skill was a welcome addition. If we were to make the survivor notes more common it may allow for the complete removal of gaining skill points and xp points from mass crafting.

Maybe the pimps at some point could address this and implement a much better diminishing returns system.

Problem with using books for xp is it doesn't increase your level xp, so you dont get skill points from it. Fine for base skills but the perks which require you to spend points may leave people missing skills. Least that was the case in 14.? not sure if it got changed for the recent build

I do add recipes for quite a few vanilla blocks that didn't have recipes. Frankly, Im just not a builder or creative person. I don't know what other recipes people would actually want. I have considered making a decorating workbench specifically for all these "cosmetic" blocks to keep the main workstation from being cluttered with too much useless crap. If I had a list of recipes people are legit interested in then I am open to adding them. I just don't think people really care about having 50 recipes for road signs and mail boxes.

No, didn't mean the extra's like road signs etc. I will send you my recipe .xml as i have just shoehorned the added lot on to the bottom of yours. It needs some work which i will do at some point before i ping it over for you to look though as currently it lags out the workbench just loading them all.

Problem with using books for xp is it doesn't increase your level xp, so you dont get skill points from it. Fine for base skills but the perks which require you to spend points may leave people missing skills. Least that was the case in 14.? not sure if it got changed for the recent build

True if a perk has an requirement you do not reach then reading the book will not count. However you can make the book give you the required points and then the perk.

For example:

<property class="Action1">

<property name="Skills_to_gain" value="Tool Smithing,Tool Smithing,Tool Smithing,Tool Smithing,Tool Smithing,Miner 69er" />

</property>

This would give 5 levels in tool smithing and then miner perk.

No, didn't mean the extra's like road signs etc. I will send you my recipe .xml as i have just shoehorned the added lot on to the bottom of yours. It needs some work which i will do at some point before i ping it over for you to look though as currently it lags out the workbench just loading them all.

Hence why I was thinking of adding a new workstation specifically for the decor blocks that are only used for cosmetic purposes.

Update V2.5

I am sorry for the constant stream of updates. I will try to dial things back a bit, promise.

Notable changes:

I've added new upgrade items for the stove and sinks. Now you can upgrade vanilla sinks and ovens you find in prefabs to working ones, provided you have the knowledge. I did this because crafting your own was pricey considering the need for steel and other ingredients that are locked behind other perks.

If you upgrade a prefab sink you will no longer be able to loot it or use it as a container. Also note that upgrading a prefab stove will cause the model to change textures. Not a big deal but might be a bit surprising if you're not expecting it.

I gave bolts the same xp treatment the arrows received earlier.

I (for real this time) added the perk items to the starter classes that were supposed to be there in the last version but was overlooked due to the A14.6 update and my own stupidity.

The apple tree now has a new model when it is "empty" to make it more visually obvious when its ready for harvest.

I (for real this time) fixed the hunter quest. Another A14.6 mishap. Don't do drugs, kids.

Hopefully fixed the butchers knife so it isn't also giving you a lot of animalhide.

No news on the whereabouts of the invisible dragon.

Changelog:

v2.5

Mods folder -

Added ovenKit icon

Added plumbingKit icon

Items.xml

stoneShovel - removed repair amount property so they can't be used to repair blocks.

shovelIron - removed repair amount property so they can't be used to repair blocks.

Remote - removed repair amount property so they can't be used to repair blocks.

animalFeed - removed repair amount property so they can't be used to repair blocks.

classKey - removed repair amount property so they can't be used to repair blocks.

Lockpick - removed repair amount property so they can't be used to repair blocks.

survivorCombination - removed repair amount property so they can't be used to repair blocks.

butcherKnife - changed ToolCategory to ButcherExtra and added Butcher

wrench - added ovenKit and plumbingKit to allowed upgraded items.

cloth - Increased stack size.

paper - Increased stack size.

feather - Increased stack size.

buckshot - Increased stack size.

crossbowBolt - Added ActionExp

ironCrossbowBolt - Increased ActionExp

steelCrossbowBolt - Increased ActionExp

explodingCrossbowBolt - Added ActionExp

(1979) Addded plumbingKit

(1980) Addded ovenKit

recipebookSinks - added plumbingKit to recipes to learn

schematicOven - added ovenKit to recipes to learn

(Expansion) Remote - added degradation so it can work on bridges and doors again.

lokiWater - added customicon property

lokiStew - added customicon property

lokiBow - added customicon property

Blocks.xml

appleTreeEmpty - changed model and offset so its more obvious when the tree is empty.

cntOven - added upgrade path to workstationOven.

cntWallOven - added upgrade path to workstationOven.

cntGraniteSink - added upgrade path to workingGranitSink

cntCabinetOldSink - added upgrade path to workingCabinetSink

Quests.xml

challenge_hunter - hunter quests now hopefully fixed to properly register animal kills.

Recipes.xml

Added bridgeSteelWide recipe.

Added recipe to make a bowl of water out of a jar of water and bowl

Added recipe to make a jar of water out of a bowl of water and empty jar

Added ovenKit recipe

Added plumbingKit recipe

barbedFence - increased count

barbedWireSheet - increased count

(Overhaul) Reduced survivor note cost of recipebookCarpentry

(Overhaul) Increased survivor note cost of recipebookMasonry

Entityclasses.exe

animalStag - added ButcherExtra harvest event

animalBear - added ButcherExtra harvest event

zombieBear - added ButcherExtra harvest event

animalRabbit - added ButcherExtra harvest event

animalChicken - added ButcherExtra harvest event

animalPig - added ButcherExtra harvest event

Loot.xml

Class loot groups have been modified to properly give the perk item meant for specific classes.

(Overhaul) Moved recipebookCarpentery to the commonBooks group.

Localization.xml

Fixed weedCleaverDesc typo.

Added plumbingKit and desc

Added ovenKit and desc

well yeah, creative is the only way to get them without extended modded files.

I'm pretty sure someone posted them recently as a separate recipe.xml, i might ask clock and val if they would allow me to post the file here if people are interested. Not going to do it without authorization though.

Ahhh yes...the Single player Syndrome affect......

Update V2.5

I am sorry for the constant stream of updates. I will try to dial things back a bit, promise.

Notable changes:

I've added new upgrade items for the stove and sinks. Now you can upgrade vanilla sinks and ovens you find in prefabs to working ones, provided you have the knowledge. I did this because crafting your own was pricey considering the need for steel and other ingredients that are locked behind other perks.

If you upgrade a prefab sink you will no longer be able to loot it or use it as a container. Also note that upgrading a prefab stove will cause the model to change textures. Not a big deal but might be a bit surprising if you're not expecting it.

I gave bolts the same xp treatment the arrows received earlier.

I (for real this time) added the perk items to the starter classes that were supposed to be there in the last version but was overlooked due to the A14.6 update and my own stupidity.

The apple tree now has a new model when it is "empty" to make it more visually obvious when its ready for harvest.

I (for real this time) fixed the hunter quest. Another A14.6 mishap. Don't do drugs, kids.

Hopefully fixed the butchers knife so it isn't also giving you a lot of animalhide.

No news on the whereabouts of the invisible dragon.

Changelog:

v2.5

Mods folder -

Added ovenKit icon

Added plumbingKit icon

Items.xml

stoneShovel - removed repair amount property so they can't be used to repair blocks.

shovelIron - removed repair amount property so they can't be used to repair blocks.

Remote - removed repair amount property so they can't be used to repair blocks.

animalFeed - removed repair amount property so they can't be used to repair blocks.

classKey - removed repair amount property so they can't be used to repair blocks.

Lockpick - removed repair amount property so they can't be used to repair blocks.

survivorCombination - removed repair amount property so they can't be used to repair blocks.

butcherKnife - changed ToolCategory to ButcherExtra and added Butcher

wrench - added ovenKit and plumbingKit to allowed upgraded items.

cloth - Increased stack size.

paper - Increased stack size.

feather - Increased stack size.

buckshot - Increased stack size.

crossbowBolt - Added ActionExp

ironCrossbowBolt - Increased ActionExp

steelCrossbowBolt - Increased ActionExp

explodingCrossbowBolt - Added ActionExp

(1979) Addded plumbingKit

(1980) Addded ovenKit

recipebookSinks - added plumbingKit to recipes to learn

schematicOven - added ovenKit to recipes to learn

(Expansion) Remote - added degradation so it can work on bridges and doors again.

lokiWater - added customicon property

lokiStew - added customicon property

lokiBow - added customicon property

Blocks.xml

appleTreeEmpty - changed model and offset so its more obvious when the tree is empty.

cntOven - added upgrade path to workstationOven.

cntWallOven - added upgrade path to workstationOven.

cntGraniteSink - added upgrade path to workingGranitSink

cntCabinetOldSink - added upgrade path to workingCabinetSink

Quests.xml

challenge_hunter - hunter quests now hopefully fixed to properly register animal kills.

Recipes.xml

Added bridgeSteelWide recipe.

Added recipe to make a bowl of water out of a jar of water and bowl

Added recipe to make a jar of water out of a bowl of water and empty jar

Added ovenKit recipe

Added plumbingKit recipe

barbedFence - increased count

barbedWireSheet - increased count

(Overhaul) Reduced survivor note cost of recipebookCarpentry

(Overhaul) Increased survivor note cost of recipebookMasonry

Entityclasses.exe

animalStag - added ButcherExtra harvest event

animalBear - added ButcherExtra harvest event

zombieBear - added ButcherExtra harvest event

animalRabbit - added ButcherExtra harvest event

animalChicken - added ButcherExtra harvest event

animalPig - added ButcherExtra harvest event

Loot.xml

Class loot groups have been modified to properly give the perk item meant for specific classes.

(Overhaul) Moved recipebookCarpentery to the commonBooks group.

Localization.xml

Fixed weedCleaverDesc typo.

Added plumbingKit and desc

Added ovenKit and desc

Thanks for the Update Valmar

Carpentry books -

Fair point. Masonry will now cost 20 notes!

In all seriousness though I will try to balance the note cost. Also I feel the need to keep reminding people that you can get nails from destroying wooden blocks in prefabs or cabinets and tables. Its not entirely reliant on you finding scrap iron.

While that's true, please bear in mind that even if you can 'recycle' from destroying a prefab, then that's still a time and resource investment (time to break the blocks and resources from the tool you're using to do it), on top of needing to destroy non-renewable worldgen to get it every time a zombie downgrades a block unless you want to sacrifice your iron reserves which won't be all that high while you're still using wood for non-decorative puropses by which point... well zeds won't be destroying it much. Plus that's basically just free iron people can melt down if they rush past wood construction.

I've had a strange issue just pop up.

My forge, campfire, brewery, cement mixer and 1 cardboard box do now open anymore.

I mouse over them and I see the "Press E to Open" message but they do not open. The cardboard box also so not even show the message.

I've restarted the game and rebooted the computer but the issue persists.

@Valmar

I updated to the 2.5 version of the overhaul and this issue still exists.

If I build new forge, campfire, brewery, cement mixer and cardboard boxes they work fine but all my important stuff is in the current forge, cardboard box and cement mixer.

All the items that are broken are next to each other in a line.

Everything was working fine till day 9.

It sounds like you loaded into the game at some point without my xui.xml file. Workstations that are already placed will not register the change. So if you ever had a different XUI and loaded up the game by mistake its possible that corrupted the workstations and thats why you need to replace them.

I'm not sure. Without knowing all the specifics of your situation and examining it first hand its really not something I diagonose nor is it anything I can snap my fingers and fix. None of this explains why your cardboard box stopped working. I've never had these problems before. Does the cardboard box say its locked? Its also possible that something happened to your character save that made it lose its "memory" of owning the box and thats why you cannot get into it.

If new containers and workstations work just destroy them and get back your supplies from creative menu.

The update looks good. I just started a new game and so I'll update and report back if there are any problems.

Was coming to the forums just now to ask a question you may or may not know the answer to. I've been seeing a lot of these SDXs mods popping up (the most recent one is military and police vehicles) and after reading them and the boards for the SDX I still have no clue what SDX is or about. My question, you may or may not know, is can I add the SDX main thing and some of the mods that require it onto this one? One of the reasons I'm not sure is that someone SDXed some of your individual mods.

It sounds like you loaded into the game at some point without my xui.xml file. Workstations that are already placed will not register the change. So if you ever had a different XUI and loaded up the game by mistake its possible that corrupted the workstations and thats why you need to replace them.

I'm not sure. Without knowing all the specifics of your situation and examining it first hand its really not something I diagonose nor is it anything I can snap my fingers and fix. None of this explains why your cardboard box stopped working. I've never had these problems before. Does the cardboard box say its locked? Its also possible that something happened to your character save that made it lose its "memory" of owning the box and thats why you cannot get into it.

If new containers and workstations work just destroy them and get back your supplies from creative menu.

I've not touched the config folder/files at all.

I have other workstations and cardboard boxes (on the other side of the room) that all work fine and even the ones that are now broken were working fine for the first 8 days.

The only thing I can think of is on day 9 I mined a ton and put thousands of wood, clay and rock resources in the now broken cardboard box and forge.

Ah well, having done tech support myself I know that there is not much to do - I just had to ask incase there was a known workaround.

Been meaning to try out one of the other classes out anyways.

The update looks good. I just started a new game and so I'll update and report back if there are any problems.

Was coming to the forums just now to ask a question you may or may not know the answer to. I've been seeing a lot of these SDXs mods popping up (the most recent one is military and police vehicles) and after reading them and the boards for the SDX I still have no clue what SDX is or about. My question, you may or may not know, is can I add the SDX main thing and some of the mods that require it onto this one? One of the reasons I'm not sure is that someone SDXed some of your individual mods.

Sorry I can't help you there. I know nothing about SDX. How it works is beyond me. I'd recommend asking Stallion from that Valmar SDX topic you mentioned. I imagine he knows whether or not what you're after is possible.

- - - Updated - - -

I've not touched the config folder/files at all.

I have other workstations and cardboard boxes (on the other side of the room) that all work fine and even the ones that are now broken were working fine for the first 8 days.

The only thing I can think of is on day 9 I mined a ton and put thousands of wood, clay and rock resources in the now broken cardboard box and forge.

Ah well, having done tech support myself I know that there is not much to do - I just had to ask incase there was a known workaround.

Been meaning to try out one of the other classes out anyways.

I could perhaps join your game if you allow MP. Then I could come look at the box personally and see if it behaves the same with me.

You should be able to use Valmod's XMLs with MOST (I don't want to say all) SDX mods by placing the Valmod XML files into the SDX_0.6.0/Backup/Data/Config folder (make a backup first, just in case I'm totally off here, I use some of the components of Valmod myself, but I don't use the whole thing, so I'm speaking theoretically and not practically) and then building with your selected SDX mods. This should merge Valmar's changes with whatever changes you're looking for in the SDX mods, though you should be aware that if any of the SDX mods attempt to change anything Valmod has changed, the SDX mod will get priority every time.

You should be able to use Valmod's XMLs with MOST (I don't want to say all) SDX mods by placing the Valmod XML files into the SDX_0.6.0/Backup/Data/Config folder (make a backup first, just in case I'm totally off here, I use some of the components of Valmod myself, but I don't use the whole thing, so I'm speaking theoretically and not practically) and then building with your selected SDX mods. This should merge Valmar's changes with whatever changes you're looking for in the SDX mods, though you should be aware that if any of the SDX mods attempt to change anything Valmod has changed, the SDX mod will get priority every time.

lol answered also in the sdx valmar version :-) oh I man "Snap" copy cat lol :-P

I've played for about 3 hours, everything is working great.

I have an idea for a mod, but don't know enough to try and make it work. Might work well with the pack.

Is there a way to mod a bed roll or bed so that when you stand or crouch on it, it will speed the time up, as if mimicking sleep?

Once I have nothing else to do, I generally DM and speed the time to morning. I know it won't work well for multiplayer unless everyone on the server agree's to do it at the same time, but SP and LAN may see the benefit.

Also, the butcher knife I found worked great after I lured the bear in to my house and leisurely dispatched him with the iron crossbow atop some broken stairs. Really needed the food! Chunky Meat Stew for all!

Thanks Carlzilla, and stallionsden. It's worked great from what I can tell. Only had issues with two mods, the fishing mod and the stone ovens mod.

Noticed another small problem. The icons for the items in the Valmod aren't getting loaded. The items themselves work fine, they just don't have any icons to represent them so they are blank. The icons are in the right folder, just not showing up in game.

Is it possible to turn a single player game into a MP one?

From what I understand anyone on your friends list can be invited. The game is always running as a "server" even if you specifically tell it to be SP. SP just means it wont show up in the MP listing, I think. I could be wrong but I remember Madmole mentioning something like that at one point.

I've played for about 3 hours, everything is working great.

I have an idea for a mod, but don't know enough to try and make it work. Might work well with the pack.

Is there a way to mod a bed roll or bed so that when you stand or crouch on it, it will speed the time up, as if mimicking sleep?

Once I have nothing else to do, I generally DM and speed the time to morning. I know it won't work well for multiplayer unless everyone on the server agree's to do it at the same time, but SP and LAN may see the benefit.

Also, the butcher knife I found worked great after I lured the bear in to my house and leisurely dispatched him with the iron crossbow atop some broken stairs. Really needed the food! Chunky Meat Stew for all!

That isn't possible with an xml-driven mod. SDX guys might be able to do it though, I don't know.

Earlier today I used the SDX tool to build other mods on top of Valmod (instead of vanilla). Things seemed smooth with a few hiccups that were easy to fix. One wasn't though, but thanks to stallionsden for working with me on it, eventually the problem was found. to many blocks. From what I can determine, the 2047 (2048 counting asset 0) isn't just based on the amount of blocks in the xml but rather on the number. Anything with a block id number higher then 2047 will be lost. Was digigng through the files I noticed that while the block ids in your file go from 0 - 2047, there are only 1502 actual blocks. Vanilla is similar with it ranging from 0 - 1937 but with only 1373 blocks. Was curious why the large gaps instead of going straight from 0 - 1502?

Why are we talking about SDX here?

Why ask why your game is broke when you use SDX to break it and complain Valmars Mod is broke?

seriously

everything he does and i do here is XML related only with Icons...

I originally asked about compatibility. After that I was giving an update on that compatibility. After that was a question as to something I noticed. I wasn't complaining that the mod was broken. The only things I asked was if his mod was compatible or not and why he did something the way he did it.

Archived