A16 Valmod Pack

Valmar

Also, an idea for the future updates I wanted to put out for you guys to get your feedback. This relates to the Overhaul only. I was thinking of bringing back ore. As in, the stuff you harvest for mining ore will be ore that you have to smelt in the forge to use. Rather than scrap iron. Thoughts? Pointless, tedious? Redundant? This would only effect lead and iron. There isnt a ton you can craft with the scrap so it might be pointless.

Also, an idea for the future updates I wanted to put out for you guys to get your feedback. This relates to the Overhaul only. I was thinking of bringing back ore. As in, the stuff you harvest for mining ore will be ore that you have to smelt in the forge to use. Rather than scrap iron. Thoughts? Pointless, tedious? Redundant? This would only effect lead and iron. There isnt a ton you can craft with the scrap so it might be pointless.

So you would have ore from mining and scrap from breaking down metal items?

Inventory management isn't fun for me but it would not be enough to make me stop using your mod.

Hey Val,

Is it possible to add additional classes?

I was thinking of a shotgun assassin class which is basically the bruiser class but using the knife perk lines.

Oh its certainly possible. Key issue with it however, at least for me, is the recipes stay in your list forever. Honestly I think theres already a bit too many classes in the game. If there was a better system for this I wouldn't mind.

However one thing I have humored in the past however is to make a wildcard class that the player can build completely. Only starts with the basics but has no preset skills or perks - just starts with like 60-70 skill points to spend. If I recall correctly all the classes have 75 skill points. If I did this it would give the player more freedom to set their class up however they want, minus the starting items.

I think this is a great idea.

Out of curiosity - what diff level do people using this mod play on?

Up until recently we have been running at 4 with max spawns on our private, communal server which would have 3 active users on horde nights (2 sniper/rifleman on top of our defenses w/1 shotgunner to handle zeds that made it through traps as well as handling looting).

We just dialed down to 3 w/max spawns since one of our consistent members stopped playing due to a preggo wife. Hordes are still rough until maxing out a weapon perk but still doable.

- - - Updated - - -

I cannot for the life of me find the recipe for Glue, i have 100+ bones laying around and would like more duct-tape. If someone would tell me which book its in i'd be grateful.

Its been a while since i strayed from survivor/max crossbows where i needed mass glue for exploding bolts but i kinda remember making them in the working oven. I think it was bones + water (not cooled by the fridge). Im at work but can look when I get home if you haven't found it yet.

I can't craft the steel spikes

Hello,

The title pretty much explains what the problem is.

I found out that the steel spikes have to be crafted in the workbench.

But with steel in my inventory i press the steel spikes but there is no craft button.. ?

Any idea what the problem could be.

My thanx

Valmod, that wildcard would be great! so you get the 75 points, which would ammount to 25 of those survivor notes. then you could do something like those ammo boxes, that you can select the ammo type you want. I wonder if you could do something similar, that can select other things, too, like weapons, and starter gear. but I rather do like that wildcard custom set.

- - - Updated - - -

I wasn't even aware the steel spikes were craftable, i thought it was just an upgrade path from wood log spikes up through iron, to steel. though if i could craft them without the expense of wood and iron, that would be spiffy, but I could use confirmation on this.

Originally Posted by DrDonny View Post

I cannot for the life of me find the recipe for Glue, i have 100+ bones laying around and would like more duct-tape. If someone would tell me which book its in i'd be grateful.

The science machine is the new crafting device to make glue, antibiotics and brewing drinks. I believe it's unlockable with the science book, or in a related perk, that I can't recall. I do believe it requires the beaker in the thing to craft. but it's still a bone and bottle of water, as ingredients. but it's no longer in the camp fire.

Hello,

The title pretty much explains what the problem is.

I found out that the steel spikes have to be crafted in the workbench.

But with steel in my inventory i press the steel spikes but there is no craft button.. ?

Any idea what the problem could be.

My thanx

Do you have level 2 in the Traps perk?

Valmod, that wildcard would be great! so you get the 75 points, which would ammount to 25 of those survivor notes. then you could do something like those ammo boxes, that you can select the ammo type you want. I wonder if you could do something similar, that can select other things, too, like weapons, and starter gear. but I rather do like that wildcard custom set.

- - - Updated - - -

I wasn't even aware the steel spikes were craftable, i thought it was just an upgrade path from wood log spikes up through iron, to steel. though if i could craft them without the expense of wood and iron, that would be spiffy, but I could use confirmation on this.

Guns are a bit different since you cant craft a gun directly. Items that have parts can't just be crafted, sadly. I could make a block that you place to get the weapon out of it... but it wouldn't be very intuitive and I think it'd just confuse players. The rule of KISS. I think it would be best if the starting items is just a pistol and the default basic stuff. At least for now. Hard to say what can be done in the future.

Also, yes, you can craft them directly. Saves you a lot of resources to do so too.

Do you have level 2 in the Traps perk?

Sorry i am kinda new to modding 7d2d like this.

So i have no idea what you mean with that :p

First of all i did not add the whole valmod pack, I just took pieces and bits.

Like aloe seeds etc. and then steel spikes and some more.

Thnx

Sorry i am kinda new to modding 7d2d like this.

So i have no idea what you mean with that :p

First of all i did not add the whole valmod pack, I just took pieces and bits.

Like aloe seeds etc. and then steel spikes and some more.

Thnx

That changes things complete.

When you say you took pieces and bits do you mean you literally snipped code from Valmod or that you used my individual mods? Valmar's Mod Collection

I'd need to know how you got the code to determine what the problem might be. If you manually snipped it out of Valmod then its very likely you missed some important parts that are causing the mod in question to not function as intended.

That changes things complete.

When you say you took pieces and bits do you mean you literally snipped code from Valmod or that you used my individual mods? Valmar's Mod Collection

I'd need to know how you got the code to determine what the problem might be. If you manually snipped it out of Valmod then its very likely you missed some important parts that are causing the mod in question to not function as intended.

Sorry i should have mentioned that i used the mod collection. it's not like i went and took what i wanted.

I choose mods from the collection and used those :p

Ah in that case I see the problem. My recipes were pointing to the workbench but in vanilla the workbench isn't set up to read its own recipes. So this is a fault on my end. I update the recipes code so it should work now.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?35830-Expanded-Traps&p=366062#post366062

Oké, so i just need to replace it. got it.

When i'm on it anyway I can't seem to find a way to craft the working sink.

I just can't find the recipe at all to be more specific.

Hey Valmar, the mod just keeps getting better. It's seriously doubled my interest in in the game Server recently upgraded to x.x5 (so .1 behind) and the change of making the survivor notes give skill points is great, solves problem with skilling up via books/etc stagnating you level-wise.

Is there *any* chance of the Assorted Dyes item being craftable sometime soon? I understand 100% why you didn't want to up the chance of finding them as 'useless' cosmetic loot for player who don't care, but since there are some biome-related reasons to wear non-metal armor (ie, leather is +temp, all the top end endgame armor is -temp), applying dye to a bunch of leather is difficult because of the relative rarity.

I saw you fixed the combat axe bug (not being bladed weapon), thanks!

I dunno if your newest update fixes it, but I noticed that if you chill the energy drink, it loses the adrenaline burst or whatever the speed effect is.

OH! Also is there ANY chance that anything like stims will be craftable someday? It's a pretty powerful effect in PVP admittedly, but I like it for convenience so much I'd be willing to eat a minor wellness hit for 'homemade stims' or something.

Hello Valmar,

Im big fan of your mod, a i play on it from A11 or A12 (i dont remember) and its great. But after on few updates i see one problem. after five or six days of intensive play, i have everything. Maybye you think about making gameplay longer? And it to easy to get all skills on high levels i think. For example we have on server 25% loot settings, and one of us who start play about week ago now have 100/100 in two or three skils (not remember) and rest on high lvl.

Sorry for my english, its not my native language

Oké, so i just need to replace it. got it.

When i'm on it anyway I can't seem to find a way to craft the working sink.

I just can't find the recipe at all to be more specific.

Asssuming you're using this:

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?30897-Working-Ovens-and-Sinks&p=290560#post290560

It should be a free recipe in your crafting menu. If not something may not be entered right. Next time stat up your game and open the console with the ~ key and scroll up. See if you spot any red errors telling you about the recipes.xml

Is there *any* chance of the Assorted Dyes item being craftable sometime soon? I understand 100% why you didn't want to up the chance of finding them as 'useless' cosmetic loot for player who don't care, but since there are some biome-related reasons to wear non-metal armor (ie, leather is +temp, all the top end endgame armor is -temp), applying dye to a bunch of leather is difficult because of the relative rarity.

I dunno if your newest update fixes it, but I noticed that if you chill the energy drink, it loses the adrenaline burst or whatever the speed effect is.

OH! Also is there ANY chance that anything like stims will be craftable someday? It's a pretty powerful effect in PVP admittedly, but I like it for convenience so much I'd be willing to eat a minor wellness hit for 'homemade stims' or something.

I might add an assorted dyes recipe. Problem was actually just figuring out the right ingredients to use for it. I guess red and yellow flowers are a good start. But I honestly dont know. Any suggestions?

I'll make a note to check out the energy drink.

The Maniac Powder actually does give a small speed boost similar to the stims - and it can be crafted. :)

I feel this stuff is grossly underused considering it will temporarily make you an indestructible killing machine.

Hello Valmar,

Im big fan of your mod, a i play on it from A11 or A12 (i dont remember) and its great. But after on few updates i see one problem. after five or six days of intensive play, i have everything. Maybye you think about making gameplay longer? And it to easy to get all skills on high levels i think. For example we have on server 25% loot settings, and one of us who start play about week ago now have 100/100 in two or three skils (not remember) and rest on high lvl.

Hello Synsz. Glad you enjoy it. I might make some balance changes here and there. However its not likely to make a difference to someone who plays extensively for several days non-stop or someone who has the skills to take on a 25% loot setting. Some people are just too hardcore for me to account for.

That being said I have to say Spider's True Survival mod sounds like it would be right up your alley, if you're open to trying out some new things. He's a talented modded and focuses heavily on the "hardcore" crowd.

Again I'm not saying I won't make some adjustments to my mod to up the difficulty a little in this regard. I'm just skeptical that anything I do will be extreme enough to satisfy players of you and your friend's caliber. :)

Hello Valmar,

@Szynsz

I have the same issue.

You can slow down leveling by using the following formula

<player max_level="200" exp_to_level="4000" experience_multiplier="1.01" skill_points_per_level="5" skill_point_multiplier="0"/>

<skills max_level="100" exp_to_level="250" experience_multiplier="1.03" skill_point_cost_multiplier="0" skill_point_cost_per_level="1">

change those settings in the progression.xml and it should slow down your level gains. You could also change the experience_multiplier to be higher if you want higher levels to take a lot longer.

So for the max_level="200":

Change experience_multiplier="1.01" to experience_multiplier="1.02"

For the max_level="100":

Change experience_multiplier="1.03" to experience_multiplier="1.04"

I believe this will double the time it takes to level.

IMHO, there are two ways to do this and it comes down to how you define the ores as materials.

By default, the ore fragments will be iron and lead, which means that you can scrap them in your backpack or melt them into the forge to save the 25% scrapping penalty. This is the easiest and quickest way to implement ores.

The other way to do this is to add the ores fragments as new materials, such as iron_ore and lead_ore. Then create a new workstation that you are forced to melt the fragments into so that you can extract scrapiron and scraplead. This is quite a bit more work to implement and some people might see the transmutation as just busy work. However, it does add an element of realism which I like and which is why I have done it this way myself.

My opinion is if you are going to implement ores for realism purposes then you might as well go all the way. Definitely not for everyone though. :)

Adding ore to the game would make it more tedious to me. No fun just more inventory management.

If you have the time to add stuff to the mod then that is great.

My suggestions:

- more starting professions including one that is harder as it only gives you say 20 skill points nothing else (naked and defenseless)

- remove books from the game forcing you to spend skill points or practice a skill for everything

- or rework the books so that you get level skill ups for reading books but reduce the drop rate of survivor notes

- adjusted skill progression so you don't need to shoot 1,000,000 arrows to get to 100 archery skill

- crafting plastic feathers (alternate recipe for plastic for wrapping meat)

- increase the cost of gunpowder even further so that bullets and shells are precious

Basically I think that the survival and RPG aspects of the game needs more attention now.

Thank you for the feedback, its always appreciated.

No worries with ore. Since it wouldn't work out the way I originally thought I'm just dropping the idea altogether - at least for Valmod.

More Starting Professions -

Honestly I feel I have too many as it is. I hate cluttering the inventory with recipes (class selection recipes) that literally will never be used again. Its kinda messy. I have thought about making a wildcard class that just starts with basics and some skill points to allow custom character builds, though. As for a "Deprived" start, I thought about too after playing Dark Souls 2.... but then realized if you want that start you could just not choose a class. Without the class unlock you start the game completely ignorant and naked.

Remove Books -

Removing them completely would make looting bookstores or bookcases completely pointless, don't you think? It would remove a big looting aspect from the game and make at least one of the "big" POI stores completely useless.

Rework Books -

You do get level skill ups for reading books already. In Overhaul thats pretty much all the books do since there are really no recipe books to find outside of two of three.

Adjusted Skill Progression (Arrows) -

Actually I already did. Try shooting more expensive arrows/bolts. The higher the grade the more exp you gain. I think the base exp gain is also higher than vanilla.

Plastic Features -

Just too much work and clutter for something that really isn't needed, imo.

Gunpowder Cost -

I'm not sure thats really a good idea. I mean bullets already have so many hurdles to cross. First you need the perk. Then you need the recipe for forge. Then you need calipers. Then you need coal and potassium. Then you need the recipe for making gunpowder. Then you need to craft specific ammo casing. You also need lead for the tips and clay.

I'm not saying I wont ever increase the gunpowder cost. Its definitely a possibility. I just don't necessarily think its required given all the other requirements and steps to crafting them.

I might add an assorted dyes recipe. Problem was actually just figuring out the right ingredients to use for it. I guess red and yellow flowers are a good start. But I honestly dont know. Any suggestions?

The Maniac Powder actually does give a small speed boost similar to the stims - and it can be crafted. :)

I feel this stuff is grossly underused considering it will temporarily make you an indestructible killing machine.

Re: Dyes

Without adding more stuff (time, clutter, resources, making limited inventories worse)I think Yellow and Red flowers are a good start. I think blueberries might be viable. Braeberries (aka european blueberries) were apparently used as a blue dye traditionally. Coal tar is also used as a dye in some products I think. Those four get is some of kind of ersatz CYMK ;)

Re: Maniac powder - agreed it's an AWESOME item...and that's considering I Didn't notice a speed boost, just the otehr benefits. Oops! Sorry.

Out of curiosity, any chance of the merchant order that turns survivor pages into coins getting a slightly better return (it's 1:5 at the moment), or a shorter timer? I tried to turn in a stack of like 40 pages and laughed when I saw the timer - and I'm talking about maxed barter. [Yeah, endgame, I know]

Again, thanks for the mod. I think it's literally doubled my 7d2d steam playtime. I don't have the thousands that some diehards have but I have been playing off and on since A7 or so. I also appreciate that so much of it is simply extending the game in ways that 'feel' like they fit and lots of QoL improvements.

Flowers, berries and coal huh? Hm. It would work. I'll make note.

As for the merchant's notes, haha. Yeah, I'll look in on that. The timer is pretty crazy, all things considered. I'll cut its time in half.

Thank you for the kinds words, it always nice to hear that someone enjoyed/appreciates my mod and the work that goes into it. :loyal:

Any chance we'll ever see something like a loom/tailoring station? Since you can't do randomized output I know that limits you (ie, no single shirt recipe that pops out in a random color) but there are several useful items that can't currently be made like the Duster and especially the scarf(!).

I partly ask because it feels like tailoring is a bit underutilized in the core game, and the cloth armor/etc that exists doesn't even have something for the 'shirt' slot etc, those are 100% random loot.

Edit: Any idea if glue-making could ever not consume jars? Maybe people think it'd make it too good if not (I'd personally take it being less efficient and needing 2:1 bones) or if it's just me, but I've always hated ever duct-tape using recipe as a result of this. Not that things like the sink don't make it less annoying than vanilla.

Is there a chance that? Sure. The Dye Station in is current form could be expanded to include crafting recipes for all the clothes in the game. Perhaps that would be a part of a cheap perk you can unlock after you level your tailoring to a high enough level. I'm not sure just when it will arrive though.

I'm currently both saving energy for A15 (which will surely require a lot of work and open up new possibilities with UMA zombies, merchants and bandits) but I also admit I'm trying to show a bit more prioriy to the Medieval Times mod I have in the works. That isn't to say I've stopped working on Valmod - certainly not. Theres a lot of stuff I'm looking forward to doing in A15 with it. However I am happy with where Valmod is currently and feel i does add enough to the game "as-is" so I feel comfortable being lax with it to give some attention to the medieval project.

That being said I was planning to make a tailoring station for medieval so one way or another it will be done and I see no reason not to include it in Valmod aswell.

As for a glue recipe that doesn't use a jar... Maybe. I do hate i when you cant get jars back from crafting/using something.

I'd love if you could boost the resources each type of "asset?" (what is it called? I mean the lead ore vein, the sand soil) I mean they do deliver too few materials/resources, even the girders in the wasteland biome, most of the time I find myself doubling this value of the resource they sould deliver.

Also it'd be amazing if the concrete mixer either used fewer resources to deliver the same amount or produce them faster, where it stands now it needs to be manned just to deliver the exact same thing :-(

Please and thanks! still loving this mod after all this time

Archived