Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

27 minutes ago, schwanz9000 said:

No plans for adding any new animals or color variants at this time.

Understandable, there certainly are more pressing matters (optimization, bandits, and so on), but I'd love to see more southwestern wildlife, as well as normal migratory birds flying and whatnot.

18 minutes ago, Arma Rex said:

Understandable, there certainly are more pressing matters (optimization, bandits, and so on), but I'd love to see more southwestern wildlife, as well as normal migratory birds flying and whatnot.

We had this discussion.  Birds aren't real. Only those stupid vultures 

They are made by the gooberment

ATTENTION: FOR THOSE THAT FEEL THE GAME IS TOO BRIGHT!

Set your brightness setting to 0% or wherever you feel comfortable. People used to suggest that to me and I wrote it off because I thought it was a universal setting meaning it would affect everything including the HUD, and I also thought it would be too dark during the day. 

That is not the case. The HUD is unaffected and brightness of the day is still bright. It just seems to make dark parts darker. It doesn't come across 100% like a typical brightness adjustment. 

It would be nice, though if there were additional contrast and gamma controls. I set my game to 0% and it's a little too contrasty to me. It's kinda like Michael Bay-type cinematography. It makes the colors look a little too saturated. But that is all personal preference. 

Try it out. 

Right now, I am MUCH happier with the brightness of the game. 

1 hour ago, Arez said:

ATTENTION: FOR THOSE THAT FEEL THE GAME IS TOO BRIGHT!

Set your brightness setting to 0% or wherever you feel comfortable. People used to suggest that to me and I wrote it off because I thought it was a universal setting meaning it would affect everything including the HUD, and I also thought it would be too dark during the day. 

That is not the case. The HUD is unaffected and brightness of the day is still bright. It just seems to make dark parts darker. It doesn't come across 100% like a typical brightness adjustment. 

It would be nice, though if there were additional contrast and gamma controls. I set my game to 0% and it's a little too contrasty to me. It's kinda like Michael Bay-type cinematography. It makes the colors look a little too saturated. But that is all personal preference. 

Try it out. 

Right now, I am MUCH happier with the brightness of the game. 

Sorry but, with Alpha 21, my brightness was set at default (50%) and was just right. With 1.0, brightness at 50% is super bright. They need to put it back to where it was. Even at 0%, it's still not dark enough, and at daytime, 0% make the colors look not so great, even when it's nice and sunny.

39 minutes ago, Space4Ace said:

Even at 0%, it's still not dark enough

Have you tried it? At 0% I can't see 3 feet in front of my face at night. It's so dark that in some areas it's 100% black - and I have an OLED.

I also have DoughPhungus's Dark Nights mod installed though.

And A21's 50% brightness was way too bright for me, which is why I installed Dark Nights in the 1st place.

7 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

You can change the number of quests required to advance the tier, and possibly the value of the quests when you complete them, through xml - but I think the number of total points needed for the next tier is setup as a calculation based on the quests required per tier and the difficulty value of the tier in question.

Vanilla Settings

• Quests per tier - 10
  • Tier 1 - 1 point per
  • Tier 2 - 2 points per
  • Tier 3 - 3 points per
  • You get the picture

So the game calculates 10*1 = 10 points for tier 2 advancement, 10*2 = 20 points for tier 3 advancement

If you changes quests per tier from 10 to 7 (A21 setting), then it would be:

7*1 = 7 points to Tier 2, 7*2 = 14 points to Tier 3

Thanks -- greatly appreciated!

6 hours ago, Riamus said:

Yeah, 3 is a bit messed up, imo.  That means day 4 is the earliest to get a bike if you use default settings.  No, thanks.  I hate running everywhere.  At least it can be changed... unlike the horrible red icon for it that stays on your screen.  I'll probably set this to 8 just to never have to see that icon even though I'll never do that many quests in a day.

For those who play with REALLY long days (90 or 120 minutes), you can also go all the way to the left with the option to remove the limit entirely.

13 minutes ago, BloodDeacon said:

Thanks -- greatly appreciated!

For those who play with REALLY long days (90 or 120 minutes), you can also go all the way to the left with the option to remove the limit entirely.

Good to know.  I wouldn't have expected no limit to be on the low end of the choices.  Thanks.

22 minutes ago, Arez said:

Have you tried it? At 0% I can't see 3 feet in front of my face at night. It's so dark that in some areas it's 100% black - and I have an OLED.

I also have DoughPhungus's Dark Nights mod installed though.

And A21's 50% brightness was way too bright for me, which is why I installed Dark Nights in the 1st place.

You have a mod installed so your argument isn't valid then as it changes it. I'm talking vanilla. They should fix it.

I've been talking about armor with others. There seems to be a general consensus that the set bonuses are crappy for the most part, and none of the are worth not mix and matching armor pieces to get the best of all bonuses.

One idea I had was to simply switch the bonus of the best piece of each set with the set bonus. So, for example, damage to zombies would go from Preacher gloves to Preacher set and the critical resistance would go to the gloves.

Someone suggested something very interesting, however, that makes sets much more enticing without changing anything: halve the bonuses of all pieces if the full set is not being worn.

1 hour ago, dcsobral said:

Someone suggested something very interesting, however, that makes sets much more enticing without changing anything: halve the bonuses of all pieces if the full set is not being worn.

I think that would be a cool idea 💡 😎 

So I'm going to resurrect that dead horse from earlier today.  I'm glad to see this has been clarified.  It's a very positive change in my opinion...i can get quests done in multiplayer even faster 

4 hours ago, Riamus said:

You no longer get points toward tier completion unless the quest is yours.  So you will not get points from a shared quest from someone else.  That means for a group of two players, you need to do 20 quests per tier (10 each).  So still 10 per player, but now you can't share the points from shared quests.

4 hours ago, schwanz9000 said:

Not true anymore. You get quest points up to the daily limit which can now be set in the options or server config.

Screenshot 2024-07-12 231247.png

Edited by GRITTY (see edit history)

3 hours ago, dcsobral said:

I've been talking about armor with others. There seems to be a general consensus that the set bonuses are crappy for the most part, and none of the are worth not mix and matching armor pieces to get the best of all bonuses.

One idea I had was to simply switch the bonus of the best piece of each set with the set bonus. So, for example, damage to zombies would go from Preacher gloves to Preacher set and the critical resistance would go to the gloves.

This is a VERY difficult balance between the armor piece perk, the full set bonus, attribute perks, drugs, candies, and perk book perks.
You have to look at the stack up of all of those things before you just move things around.

2 hours ago, GRITTY said:

So I'm going to resurrect that dead horse from earlier today.  I'm glad to see this has been clarified.  It's a very positive change in my opinion...i can get quests done in multiplayer even faster 

Screenshot 2024-07-12 231247.png

And if you keep reading, you'd see this was resolved.

22 hours ago, Old Crow said:

Will rain coming through the ceiling ever be fixed? Still an issue in 1.0.

It has been fixed a few times, but seems to keep coming back. Those old buildings are sure leaky.

22 hours ago, NukemDed said:

@faatal

ever considered a system of player specific trolling?

maybe a community based voting system or whatever that would deliver fun results like

jawoodle - 500% chance of stun baton in loot

glock 9 - double cornmeal chance ( he gets a lot already lol)

gns - a % chance the paint colours change on horde night

quite like a wind up lol

Seems like a job for Lathan.

12 hours ago, Arma Rex said:

@faatal I know it's not really your department, but is there any chance the little bear will get their own unique model? Perhaps changing it to look like a black bear or something similar.

It could possibly just be a tint to darken it, but we have soooo much other stuff we are working on.

1 hour ago, Riamus said:

And if you keep reading, you'd see this was resolved.

that's what my comment was on...that it was resolved, it was clarified, and i'm happy that we can now share trader progression on multiplayer maps.

edit: i'm not sure if you saw but i included a screenshot from the changelog showing it had been resolved also.  

Edited by GRITTY (see edit history)

11 minutes ago, Larry_Flynt said:

The wooden signs could get some love, like the storage crates did.
Only wood available for now.
Would be nice if they would be upgradable like the storage chests.

That would definitely be good.  And hopefully they are still planning to add in additional fonts at some point.

I have spent quite a bit of time with the experimental 1.0 patch, and I wanted to add some of my feedback. Please let me know what you think.

• Day 7 horde is pretty much going always to be done primarily with melee. With the increase in HP, zombies all night, and reduced ammo rewards it would take a very experienced player to manage a horde base that wasn't melee-focused. I believe there could be more balancing done here. 
  • Forest biome towns are too small in RWG. I would at least like the option to have a medium to large size city in each biome.
    • I would also like an option to limit each biome to one trader in the largest city in that biome.
  • Normal towns typically have a main road that goes straight through, especially smaller cities. These arteries collect from all the peripheral roads, where most of your exploration could happen.
  • The roads that go between towns are all over the place and rarely make sense.
  • Would like to see more stamps.
    • I would like to see an underground river. I think that would be pretty neat to find.
  • I think having the ability to "paint" a map of where you want biomes, cities, and roads to be generated would be a great feature.

10 hours ago, schwanz9000 said:

This is a VERY difficult balance between the armor piece perk, the full set bonus, attribute perks, drugs, candies, and perk book perks.
You have to look at the stack up of all of those things before you just move things around.

My personal take on the armor when I played around with it is some parts should be murged or switched up. I'm still working on my video

Doubt the video will do anything but it's nice to get ideas across.  Plus a project for me. One of... many 

I was going to try and 3d print a pipe machine gun but there's no models! Wasted opportunity TFP

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)

Is the bug back that allows the zombies to spawn inside your base unless you replace the blocks?

I keep returning home to find zombies wandering inside my base and there are no holes in my walls

2 hours ago, falloutcloud said:

I have spent quite a bit of time with the experimental 1.0 patch, and I wanted to add some of my feedback. Please let me know what you think.

•  
  • Forest biome towns are too small in RWG. I would at least like the option to have a medium to large size city in each biome.
    • I would also like an option to limit each biome to one trader in the largest city in that biome.
  •  

Love this idea for an option. I am not a fan of the same trader in each town. Current game I have three of the nicest trader in the game(rekt).  I limit myself to using only one trader per biome and just loot their compound.  Just seems more natural this way. Again, just an idea for an option to set.

12 hours ago, schwanz9000 said:

That's why that person's suggestion works so well. It doesn't change anything up or around. It just penalizes existing individual armor pieces bonus if not wearing a full set. So, full set == exactly what you have today. Individual piece == half the bonus. So if wearing a quality 6 Preacher Gloves with other non-Preacher armor pieces then you'd get 30% damage against zombies instead of 60%.

Two random questions:

1. Why is the new storage limited to simple rotation? I can't use it as floor... 😥

2. This is WAY older than 1.0, but why can't we craft barbed wire sheets anymore? In fact, even in creative it's dev mode only. I really liked those on top of chain link fences (which we can still craft).

2 hours ago, falloutcloud said:

• Day 7 horde is pretty much going always to be done primarily with melee. With the increase in HP, zombies all night, and reduced ammo rewards it would take a very experienced player to manage a horde base that wasn't melee-focused. I believe there could be more balancing done here. 
  • Normal towns typically have a main road that goes straight through, especially smaller cities. These arteries collect from all the peripheral roads, where most of your exploration could happen.
  • The roads that go between towns are all over the place and rarely make sense.
  • Would like to see more stamps.
    • I would like to see an underground river. I think that would be pretty neat to find.
  • I think having the ability to "paint" a map of where you want biomes, cities, and roads to be generated would be a great feature.

You should probably post this to the suggestions forum so it doesn't get lost.  😁

I did day 7 with guns... Granted, it was  Q1 9mm and Q4 hunting rifle and so I ran through all my 9mm before the end, but I did fine with that.  But it would be a challenge for new players.  I think the long lasting horde night on day 7 is a bit much.  Of course, I was on 2 hour days, which made it last twice as long. 

I agree that forest biome would have larger towns, at least as an option.  I'm playing with larger towns in my game and it is far better than the RWG map I started with. 

Having a road go straight through a town greatly reduces variation in the towns, especially small towns.  The tile system gives you variety in how things look, but if you have a town with a road straight through, you lose a lot of the variability and can lost out on some POI that won't fit on such tiles.  It is something where gameplay trumps realism.

They said they are working on more stamps.  But an underground river is extremely unlikely.  Even getting tunnels has a low chance of happening, so rivers underground are even less.  Also, any gaps underground can break stability of POI and bases, so not a great option even if it would be cool to see.  That said, you can make a wilderness POI that has an underground lake, river, cavern, etc.  You just have to make sure the ceiling stability is good. 

You won't get that with RWG.  It is intended to be a simple and easy to use generator.  For such control, you will need a third party generator or else make the map by hand.  You *can* paint the biome in any image editor for a RWG map, but it can impact the new trader progression stuff to some extent.