Current Gameplay makes me wonder if TFP has a goal of 'Planned obsolescence' for 7D2D

PoppaSmirk

On 11/19/2023 at 2:41 PM, PoppaSmirk said:

Its good to see some feedback, and more of it optimistic than negative.    I must admit, the changes recently have given a lot of "head scratching" moments between My (now former) group of players. 

I think this speaks volumes about TFP doing the alpha release properly.  I have been a part of several other alpha games and none of them were close to as good as this one in terms of simply making the process painless and fun for the players.  

I no longer trust anything in alpha because all those other companies.

To your OP, I think another poster nailed it when mentioning the differing gameplay making a 'planned obsolescence' counter productive for a game like this.  Keeping the player base happy and active ensures they will buy the next one rather than reducing that chance.  I can see the dev team losing some interest if the game stopped selling as that would mean continued development (aka work) may not translate to actually getting paid.  Then it simply becomes a calculation of money vs reputation.  Thankfully that is not the case here and unlikely considering they have a strong product IMHO.  

On 11/19/2023 at 10:11 PM, Laz Man said:

My latest mod obsession is the 7D2D VRmod.  Being able to turn your head to look around while flying a Gyro over / through / in / out of a city is such a jaw dropping experience.  

I hope you are happy now that you have just ruined my life....

I just got a Quest 3 and I am paralyzed by the massive backlog of games I have that are just screaming to be played in VR.  Subnautica!  Hell ya.  SKYRIM!  FALLOUT 4!  Halflife anything!  and now you have to add 7 days on that list.  

Managed Subnautica already.  Halflife 1 almost down.  But I have to go through 2, 1 and 2 episode 2 and Alyx and Skyrim VR cant wait that long.  Where am I going to fit 7 days in?

11 hours ago, meilodasreh said:

I have always been tempted to get me a set of VR goggles, but I'm not sure it is already in an enough "mature" state...like I always wanted to have a 3D printer, but this stuff will catch my interest not before the moment when there's a 3D scanner unit attached to it so I can fix a broken piece or whatever I want by placing into the scanner, and it produces the part without me having to tweak around hundreds of settings with elaborate detail knowledge.

I guess I have too high expectations on these things...but it sounds really cool...maybe one day.

It is more than worth it and actually has been for about 3 years.  Samsung VR is not really VR, those are noting more than a gimmicks though neat for a short film.  The actual PCVR setup costs a lot more but man they change everything.  Even the games that are not native and are ported into VR are pretty amazing and most major titles gets some sort of VR love these days.  The meta series headsets have hundreds of pretty good games for them too as they are essentially consoles.  I have only tried a few native games thus far but they are solid and bring a completely different gameplay concept considering they are motion based.  

19 hours ago, theFlu said:

Indeed, I do. If the end result is the same, I don't really care about the motivations behind it; I was mostly just highlighting that. My statement of "mild" disagreement is probably more tangential than actual disagreement, but then again I tend to disagree with any claims of "the only possible motives", there are some nutty folks out there, with some really weird motivations :D

I do care whether someone tries to con me or not.

And you have a valid point in that I did not list all possible reasons, just the sensible probable ones. People do lots of unlogical stuff though the extreme stuff also gets more attention so we feel it is more common that it really is.

For TFP to do that we would have to assume that they are so desperate or crooked to even consider doing it AND that they don't notice that it would be counterproductive  in their case. So two rather low chances that you have to mulitply to get at an even lower chance.

20 minutes ago, Worrun said:

That's insanely cool

Most definitely!  The ability to turn your head to look in a different direction without turning your body is a game changer.

Looking around taking in the views on your left and right while flying straight in the gyro.

Looking around and behind you to make sure no zombies are creeping up on you while you are harvesting a tree / rock.

Aiming and shooting at a zombie in front of you and then turning your head to the left to see a feral running up on you.

On 11/21/2023 at 6:32 AM, meganoth said:

I am sure everyone else knew I wanted to see your real face when it turns green after the gyro gets out of control. That video is just a tease ☹️

😁

I have pretty solid VR (sea) legs nowadays.  That little spin / landing didn't even phase me...😆

On 11/20/2023 at 11:07 PM, FA_Q2 said:

I think this speaks volumes about TFP doing the alpha release properly.  I have been a part of several other alpha games and none of them were close to as good as this one in terms of simply making the process painless and fun for the players.  

I no longer trust anything in alpha because all those other companies.

To your OP, I think another poster nailed it when mentioning the differing gameplay making a 'planned obsolescence' counter productive for a game like this.  Keeping the player base happy and active ensures they will buy the next one rather than reducing that chance.  I can see the dev team losing some interest if the game stopped selling as that would mean continued development (aka work) may not translate to actually getting paid.  Then it simply becomes a calculation of money vs reputation.  Thankfully that is not the case here and unlikely considering they have a strong product IMHO.  

I hope you are happy now that you have just ruined my life....

I just got a Quest 3 and I am paralyzed by the massive backlog of games I have that are just screaming to be played in VR.  Subnautica!  Hell ya.  SKYRIM!  FALLOUT 4!  Halflife anything!  and now you have to add 7 days on that list.  

Managed Subnautica already.  Halflife 1 almost down.  But I have to go through 2, 1 and 2 episode 2 and Alyx and Skyrim VR cant wait that long.  Where am I going to fit 7 days in?

It is more than worth it and actually has been for about 3 years.  Samsung VR is not really VR, those are noting more than a gimmicks though neat for a short film.  The actual PCVR setup costs a lot more but man they change everything.  Even the games that are not native and are ported into VR are pretty amazing and most major titles gets some sort of VR love these days.  The meta series headsets have hundreds of pretty good games for them too as they are essentially consoles.  I have only tried a few native games thus far but they are solid and bring a completely different gameplay concept considering they are motion based.  

If you ever played the stalker series, you absolutely need to play Into the Radius.  The gameplay design is great.

I know a lot of the people here have logged a lot more time than me- but personally I wish I've bought more games that start to get old after the first 400 hours played.
7 Days to die is up there with Simcity 4, Mount and Blade, Skyrim, and WoW as far as games that have taken hundreds of hours of my life.

Good job, Pimps. Make more stuff, take my money.