Electric Fence bug or feature?

Ray Garraty

In A20 horde bases, I would stretch the electric fence wire directly above the floor block to stun crawlers, dogs, and other low-profile creatures (see the schematics image attached).

In A21 however this doesn't seem to work anymore. Is this a bug or a feature?

electric fence unexpected behaviour.jpg

Likely a bug.. the electrified line is now going basically on the exact top of that solid block. None of the zeds will collide on it as it's the same as it was in the floor.

To get it to go through a middle of a block like before, install the poles horizontally for now. Or make a diagonal line of it - raise one pole up, but not the other.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2023 at 3:20 AM, Ray Garraty said:

Well I tried to fight Day 7 horde in a winter biome without them, but to my great surprise cops showed up and wrecked my wooden-cobblestone starter base. That was totally unexpected for day 7...

Be aware that the difficulty is not based on the day count, but on your gamestage.  If you push hard at leveling, you will end up kicking yourself in the ass by having hordes harder than what you have resources for.

So I just started using electric fences for the first time in A21 and I haven't had any issues. I didn't put in blocks to catch the low-profile zombies like dogs and spiders (though crawlers still get through unscathed).

It's not a bug. From what I understand the change in wire placement was intentional so that it would catch the shorter variety as well, again, except for crawlers. Do we really the fence to stop them though? 😆

Edited by Syphon583 (see edit history)

Yes had the same issue. However now (A21) with vertical pole it's already catching spider and dog, so no need to "bury" it 1 block lower.

Edit: Just like Syphon583 said. It does not catch crawler (or those with no legs).

Edit2: Adding half-block will catch all (on vertical pole).

Edited by SenLim (see edit history)

On 7/28/2023 at 2:38 AM, Stranded_Napkin said:

Yeah, I ran into this my first horde night. I just ended up raising the fences up 1 block. Building the pathway out of half blocks would work as well. All depends on how your base is set up and what you'd prefer.

Snow biome does increase your gamestage quite a bit. It´s the gamestage that defines what will spawn during horde. You will get demos very early aswell.