Is there any use for murky water other than boiling it to drinking water?

ElCabong

The h20 scarcity actually made the first couple of days challenging until I got a water filter and could craft the dew collector. I haven't been worried about water for years. I welcome this change. Feels much more survival than A20

24 minutes ago, Survior said:

so having a tough time getting water for 2 game days after which you will have a magic water dispenser and the ability to drink directly from any lake (with a helmet filter) justified replacing all better laid more complex mechanics?

Yes....and better yet I don't have 100 glass jars and 100 cans in my inventory every house I loot.

35 minutes ago, Survior said:

so having a tough time getting water for 2 game days after which you will have a magic water dispenser and the ability to drink directly from any lake (with a helmet filter) justified replacing all better laid more complex mechanics?

What were the more complex mechanics? Smelting 125 jars and filing them up from the closest water source?

Required the ability to make a forge, the components for a forge. (random chance to get pipes or wrench required)

Gather sand and fuel for the forge.

Make the stuff, possibly adding enough heat to draw attention.

Bring the bottles to a water source.

Build a campfire,  get fuel for it, boil or not boil the water depending on the recipe, also risking an attack.

vs

a dispenser with a minor cost barrier that isn't even random loot.

11 minutes ago, Survior said:

Required the ability to make a forge, the components for a forge. (random chance to get pipes or wrench required)

Build a campfire,  get fuel for it, boil or not boil the water depending on the recipe, also risking an attack.

vs

You never had to do any of that in A20 unless you needed to make a ton of glue.  If you actually had an issue with water, which was rare, you could just fill up the many empty glass jars that you found everywhere and you'd be fine.  I have never crafted a glass jar for any reason in A20.  I'm happy to be rid of them even if this really has little impact on water quantities in the game.

17 minutes ago, Survior said:

vs

In other words smelting 125 jars and filling them up at nearest water source.  And so the real objection is that there has been a limitation put on water collection. Understood. 

8 hours ago, Kosmic Kerman said:

In other words smelting 125 jars and filling them up at nearest water source.  And so the real objection is that there has been a limitation put on water collection. Understood. 

You totally discounted my entire mechanic example, but of course you did, it proved a point.

If water and bones make glue (that's basically true) -- and there is a lake outside and I've killed a million animals and harvested a box of bones yes I'm annoyed that I can't make as much glue as I think I need because I'm waiting for my artificial magic daily dispenser to give me it's pre-approved daily ration of how much I'm allowed, count me as annoyed, why have recipes at all, probably should  just axe the entire crafting element of the game at this point.

Do the daily quests earn your dukes buy your food and water and rinse and repeat the mini-dungeons daily. Don't need any other options. This is your loop now.  Just put a magic filter in your helmet and drink from any source directly don't ask questions, it just works.

Edited by Survior (see edit history)

19 hours ago, Survior said:

so having a tough time getting water for 2 game days after which you will have a magic water dispenser and the ability to drink directly from any lake (with a helmet filter)

oh you just made me realize something here. Helmet filter + sipping from water sources is now the way to go:

can't we just make small wells all around a world (literally a stone structure, 1 block deep, fill it up with water) and then take a sip when we are thirsty? no need to carry water around, so you save at least one inventory space. I personally didn't like to waste a helmet mod on this filter in A20, but I suppose you could just carry it around in your inventory and swap when you need a drink. Lots of micromanagement to manage thirst, but oh well.

Am I wrong here?

Does sipping from a small water source eventually deplete/consume it?

Edited by Dark Wun (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Dark Wun said:

can't we just make small wells all around a world (literally a stone structure, 1 block deep, fill it up with water) and then take a sip when we are thirsty?

Haven't tested for A21, but carry a bucket. Splash it on the ground, drink, scoop it back up. I hope they've blocked that, but I doubt it .. :)

1 hour ago, Dark Wun said:

I personally didn't like to waste a helmet mod on this filter in A20, but I suppose you could just carry it around in your inventory and swap when you need a drink.

If you're going to carry the mod, make it a drinking hat (Q1 Padded). Saves a little trouble of swapping mods around. But now I want a "beer hat" skin for it.

10 hours ago, Survior said:

Do the daily quests earn your dukes buy your food and water and rinse and repeat the mini-dungeons daily.

Hey, the school system is failing to produce good little employees, might be time for the games to start doing that instead. :)

11 hours ago, Survior said:

You totally discounted my entire mechanic example, but of course you did, it proved a point.

If water and bones make glue (that's basically true) -- and there is a lake outside and I've killed a million animals and harvested a box of bones yes I'm annoyed that I can't make as much glue as I think I need because I'm waiting for my artificial magic daily dispenser to give me it's pre-approved daily ration of how much I'm allowed, count me as annoyed, why have recipes at all, probably should  just axe the entire crafting element of the game at this point.

If you killed a million animals I would assume you also made a million of dukes and bought water at the trader with it and looted a few thousand houses and collected water there as well. With or without a farm of magic daily dispensers you probably would then be able to make a million/7 glue easypeasy. 😉

11 hours ago, Survior said:

Do the daily quests earn your dukes buy your food and water and rinse and repeat the mini-dungeons daily. Don't need any other options. This is your loop now.  Just put a magic filter in your helmet and drink from any source directly don't ask questions, it just works.

The magic filter in your helmet was in the game for ages, but it was relatively useless. Now its got its use finally. But I don't want to think about the logic either 😁

4 hours ago, theFlu said:

If you're going to carry the mod, make it a drinking hat (Q1 Padded). Saves a little trouble of swapping mods around. But now I want a "beer hat" skin for it.

Oh yes, good idea, way faster to swap a helmet than to swap mods