What do you want to see in Alpha 22/Gold:

Crypted

3 hours ago, meganoth said:

If you wanted ammo for example you looked in the general ammo category but then had to look up and search the stash for ammo again.

You look in categories?!  *Gasp*  Heh.  I always look in the unsorted list on the first tab and the secret stash.  Never know when something is there that you might not be looking for but when you see it you decide to buy it.  Looking just in the categories causes me to miss such things.  I never use them in the crafting either as I just type what I want.  I know most probably use the categories.

They said two more quests are coming to Alpha 21 one of which is the infested quest, But what's the other one?

A list of quests I think It might be and some quest ideas for the future of 7DTD:

• Defend a specific item/POI or protect one of the traders
  • Gather a specific resource/Item for the trader 
  • Give supplies from one trader to another
  • Something similar to a clear quest but with just bandits like at a (Bandit Camp) This one would have to wait until bandits get added but I think people will like it. 
  • Waves upon waves of zombies (defeat them all to complete the quest and earn a big reward, but keep In mind each wave gets harder) just an idea
  • A quest that has something to do with the Duke of Navezgane or Noah (when the story and factions get added of course)
  • A quest where you explore/check out a new area like a town, biome, city 
  • Adding more to the buried supplies quest like more containers for example

I hope TFP add at least one of these quests In, that would be really nice. 

Edited by Crypted (see edit history)

19 hours ago, CaptRiker said:

my biggest wish for A22... simple...

UPGRADE TO UNREAL ENGINE 5.1 and bring the graphics from early 2000's into the 2020's 😛

But then you have to wait about 5-10 years for A22. Basically, the fun pimps would have to start all over again if they switched from Unity to Unreal Engine.

7 hours ago, RipClaw said:

But then you have to wait about 5-10 years for A22. Basically, the fun pimps would have to start all over again if they switched from Unity to Unreal Engine.

They also pointed out in the dev stream that they have invested a lot in using what they are using now.  To drop all of that, even in a sequel, is something that they would have to really weigh the benefits of.  It isn't cheap to switch to another engine, especially mid-development.

• 4 weeks later...

Change the main menu music. When I open StarCraft and wait for it to load, the music is nice to listen to. Same with Counter Strike: GO, or Diablo. League of Legends has nice music to listen to while you wait.

The menu music in 7DTD gets stale and annoying. It deserves something of the Resident Evil caliber.

1 hour ago, Blasphemous said:

Make it default that at the traders, selling item stacks takes the maximum number as default instead of just one. It's annoying I have to click several times instead of just once.

Although this bugs me as well, I think making the max as default creates too much risk of accidentally selling a stack of something you didn't mean to sell rather than only one of it if you click the wrong thing so I doubt they'll change that.  However, you can shift-click the item and then click sell and it'll sell the stack.  By using shift-click instead of just click to select the stack, you eliminate accidentally selling an entire stack when you don't mean to and it works well as long as  you remember to use it.  What I'd be more interested in seeing is when the trader won't buy the full stack, that they'll buy as much as they are willing to buy rather than saying they'll only take X amount and force you to change the value to that before selling.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

47 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Although this bugs me as well, I think making the max as default creates too much risk of accidentally selling a stack of something you didn't mean to sell rather than only one of it if you click the wrong thing so I doubt they'll change that.  However, you can shift-click the item and then click sell and it'll sell the stack.  By using shift-click instead of just click to select the stack, you eliminate accidentally selling an entire stack when you don't mean to and it works well as long as  you remember to use it.  What I'd be more interested in seeing is when the trader won't buy the full stack, that they'll buy as much as they are willing to buy rather than saying they'll only take X amount and force you to change the value to that before selling.

Maybe it's just me but when I visit a trader with the intention of selling stuff, I consume all my +barter items and take only items I mean to sell so they all go, no risk of selling something I don't actually want to sell.

Perhaps a config variable for people to customize this, is the way to go. A simple sell_max_stack = true and we're golden.

My main asks would be:

• More Weapon and Tool Variety (Even just to vary the loot pool a bit, throw in Golf Clubs and Katanas etc)
  • Many more POIs to again increase variety (A21 was suggested to have 100+ New POIS now its 75+ I hope we can reach similar numbers per Alpha and these don't include existing POIS being updated, that to me, doesn't count as a NEW POI.
  • More Vehicles, I know many have been asking for lots of the props to be drivable like the tractor and police cruiser which would be a bonus. 

19 hours ago, Blasphemous said:

Maybe it's just me but when I visit a trader with the intention of selling stuff, I consume all my +barter items and take only items I mean to sell so they all go, no risk of selling something I don't actually want to sell.

Perhaps a config variable for people to customize this, is the way to go. A simple sell_max_stack = true and we're golden.

My game rule is to pretty much go through my inventory prior to hitting up the trader. Move the stuf I want to sell to the 'bottom of the inventory list' and close up the gaps I made in moving stuff around - especially when that trader is not near the base and I've been looting. If near base, I have a storage unit above the main door for saleables. Do a 'take all' and most shouldl be at the 'bottom of the list' - last in my inventory - already. Its pretty much all about inventory management. Selling is not such a big deal - sell one or 50 of an item. If they'll take it, fine. Time is important but sales shouldn't kill a day if the trader will by only 12 of an item and you've got 30 to sell. Less than a minute to overcome that issue, imo.

But yeah, a sell_max_stack option would be hella convenient. Its up to you to figure out what the best selling (must lucrative) items are. I prefer vehicle parts. Otherwise selling stuff is like a big yard sale, much to do with little return. But you've got more space now...

14 hours ago, VoltraLux said:

My main asks would be:

• More Weapon and Tool Variety (Even just to vary the loot pool a bit, throw in Golf Clubs and Katanas etc)
  • Many more POIs to again increase variety (A21 was suggested to have 100+ New POIS now its 75+ I hope we can reach similar numbers per Alpha and these don't include existing POIS being updated, that to me, doesn't count as a NEW POI.
  • More Vehicles, I know many have been asking for lots of the props to be drivable like the tractor and police cruiser which would be a bonus. 

I wouldn't get your hopes up on the first or last items.  They've stated no more drivable vehicles other than perhaps a raft or helicopter - and I wouldn't even put any hope in a helicopter.  For weapons/tools, other than potentially filling the gaps in a couple to get 3 tiers for everything (like for batons), there isn't much chance of more.  Also, any weapons they add would need to be unique enough to warrant having them.  They aren't going to add something just to have it if it's essentially the same thing as something else unless it's just one of the three tiers of that item.  In addition, each weapon type is tied to a perk, so they'd have to include more perks with more weapon types and we're too close to gold to likely see anything like that.  More weapons or vehicles are pretty much going to be left to mods and there are already mods that offer these for anyone who wants them.

They'll keep adding new POI until gold and perhaps some after gold.  They take time and so will come out with each alpha when they are ready.  There are also many POI available from POI editors if you want to add more to the game than just those in vanilla.  Many of them are quite well made.

14 hours ago, Melange said:

My game rule is to pretty much go through my inventory prior to hitting up the trader. Move the stuf I want to sell to the 'bottom of the inventory list' and close up the gaps I made in moving stuff around - especially when that trader is not near the base and I've been looting. If near base, I have a storage unit above the main door for saleables. Do a 'take all' and most shouldl be at the 'bottom of the list' - last in my inventory - already. Its pretty much all about inventory management. Selling is not such a big deal - sell one or 50 of an item. If they'll take it, fine. Time is important but sales shouldn't kill a day if the trader will by only 12 of an item and you've got 30 to sell. Less than a minute to overcome that issue, imo.

But yeah, a sell_max_stack option would be hella convenient. Its up to you to figure out what the best selling (must lucrative) items are. I prefer vehicle parts. Otherwise selling stuff is like a big yard sale, much to do with little return. But you've got more space now...

Different things are sold at different stages of the game. Late game, I prefer to craft or buy large amount of mods and install them into lvl 6 items, preferably motor tools or heavy armor, then sell. Lots of money with all the boosters and no shortage of legendary items.

Before that however, it's stacks of parts for different weapons/tools/armor, as well as cash from looted ATMs, excess drugs, gems from mining etc.

No single items, only stacks, which is why a max stack for sell by default would be such great help.

I raid and loot a lot so this is a constant issue for me.

Some way to combine multiple shapes in one block. We get more shapes each version. But finding the right one gets harder the more there are and i still always have one corner somewhere there the correct shape to fill isn't in the list but two or three more simpler shapes that would combine into it are.

Drop all existing shapes that are just combinations of simpler shapes and let us place multiple shapes in the same block. Final durability may just be that of the strongest block placed. The game would still only save a single shape in the block's position - a dynamically derived shape combining the placed shapes. So memory footprint wouldn't change. GPU impact depends on the quality of the shape combining algorithm and could actually be zero in comparison to the current pregenerated shapes. Obviously, the derived combined shapes an be cached and reused (so id the same combination is used again, the already generated result is used).

The Pimps and other POI designers would profit even more than us players as they simply stumbkle over the need for combined shapes way more often than we do.

On 5/26/2023 at 10:28 AM, Abusimplea said:

Some way to combine multiple shapes in one block. We get more shapes each version. But finding the right one gets harder the more there are and i still always have one corner somewhere there the correct shape to fill isn't in the list but two or three more simpler shapes that would combine into it are.

Drop all existing shapes that are just combinations of simpler shapes and let us place multiple shapes in the same block. Final durability may just be that of the strongest block placed. The game would still only save a single shape in the block's position - a dynamically derived shape combining the placed shapes. So memory footprint wouldn't change. GPU impact depends on the quality of the shape combining algorithm and could actually be zero in comparison to the current pregenerated shapes. Obviously, the derived combined shapes an be cached and reused (so id the same combination is used again, the already generated result is used).

The Pimps and other POI designers would profit even more than us players as they simply stumbkle over the need for combined shapes way more often than we do.

That's an interesting idea but I don't think that would work well with how the game handles blocks and system resources.  I think that would potentially increase the system resources needed to play the game by too much.  Of course, I don't know the programming behind a voxel game, so I could be wrong.  As it stands, the game has a maximum unique blocks limit and people already reach that limit if they are using some of the mods out there.  Whether or not combining blocks into one would be enough to cause issues, I'm not sure.  I know I've run into times when I could not get the right block shape for what I needed.  One example was when I dug a tunnel badly and had to use angled blocks for the walls because I didn't dig a straight tunnel.  It worked fine inside the tunnel but when I tried making an entrance to the tunnel, I found that I couldn't square it off properly with the available block shapes.  Almost, but not quite.  So I get where you're coming from.  I don't expect a change to this, so unless they are adding a shape you need, you're probably better off creating a custom shape and adding it via mod.  You can always suggest shapes that you feel are missing and there is a chance they'll add the shape.

8 hours ago, Riamus said:

That's an interesting idea but I don't think that would work well with how the game handles blocks and system resources.  I think that would potentially increase the system resources needed to play the game by too much.  Of course, I don't know the programming behind a voxel game, so I could be wrong.  As it stands, the game has a maximum unique blocks limit and people already reach that limit if they are using some of the mods out there.  Whether or not combining blocks into one would be enough to cause issues, I'm not sure.  I know I've run into times when I could not get the right block shape for what I needed.  One example was when I dug a tunnel badly and had to use angled blocks for the walls because I didn't dig a straight tunnel.  It worked fine inside the tunnel but when I tried making an entrance to the tunnel, I found that I couldn't square it off properly with the available block shapes.  Almost, but not quite.  So I get where you're coming from.  I don't expect a change to this, so unless they are adding a shape you need, you're probably better off creating a custom shape and adding it via mod.  You can always suggest shapes that you feel are missing and there is a chance they'll add the shape.

Correct. It basically requires the use of microvoxels. TFP did consider this at one point early in development, but chose not to due to the complexity and overhead involved. 

On 5/29/2023 at 5:07 PM, SylenThunder said:

Correct. It basically requires the use of microvoxels. TFP did consider this at one point early in development, but chose not to due to the complexity and overhead involved. 

Not necessarily. I think his idea was that the game creates new blocks with their own ids on the fly from the basic blocks whenever such a block is created. Afterwards the block would be indistinguishable from a block that had been defined from the start.

It would require code to geometrically add together the shapes that define a block (i.e. shape itself and hit boxes), obviously a feature that would require intricate knowledge of how unity defines blocks and I assume a lot of development time. But once there it would cost practically no overhead using the created blocks or complexity in how blocks are represented.

On 5/29/2023 at 5:07 PM, SylenThunder said:

Correct. It basically requires the use of microvoxels.

I actually anticipated this concern, so i mentioned, how it can be done without a finer voxel granularity: "The game would still only save a single shape in the block's position - a dynamically derived shape combining the placed shapes."

On 5/31/2023 at 2:54 PM, meganoth said:

It would require code to geometrically add together the shapes that define a block (i.e. shape itself and hit boxes), obviously a feature that would require intricate knowledge of how unity defines blocks and I assume a lot of development time. But once there it would cost practically no overhead using the created blocks or complexity in how blocks are represented.

Yes, knowledge about the internal format used by the engine would be required. But maybe, they built the most important part of their game themselves - in that case, they would have that knowledge already.

The easiest way to combine the hitboxes and shapes would basically be to just superimpose both gemoetries without any optimization. That would likely lead to some redundant tris being drawn. As combined shapes aren't normally used as filler in walls and ceilings, the performance impact might turn out to be negligible.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2023 at 7:57 PM, Crypted said:

They said two more quests are coming to Alpha 21 one of which is the infested quest, But what's the other one?

A list of quests I think It might be and some quest ideas for the future of 7DTD:

• Defend a specific item/POI or protect one of the traders
  • Gather a specific resource/Item for the trader 
  • Give supplies from one trader to another
  • Something similar to a clear quest but with just bandits like at a (Bandit Camp) This one would have to wait until bandits get added but I think people will like it. 
  • Waves upon waves of zombies (defeat them all to complete the quest and earn a big reward, but keep In mind each wave gets harder) just an idea
  • A quest that has something to do with the Duke of Navezgane or Noah (when the story and factions get added of course)
  • A quest where you explore/check out a new area like a (town, biome, city) they could call it the daring adventurer quest like the perk
  • Adding more to the buried supplies quest like more containers for a example (maybe get multiple buried supplies with one of the quests)
  • A demolition quest of some sort 
  • Adding more to the (Opening trade routes)

I hope TFP add at least one of these quests In, that would be really nice. 

Really cool ideas indeed. Hope your wishes come true :)

Personally I'd love new armor and weapons. There was an overhaul i was playing recently that had scrap tools and weapons to go with the regular vanilla scrap armor and honestly I thought that was a pretty good thing so I'd love to see that. I'd also love to see wooden staff type weapons because you'd be surprised at the versatility of a strong stick. Heck I'd love to see medieval weapons possibly connected to a museum POI and something like maces or more knife types.

The problem with more weapons is that if they are not unique, then they are really nothing more than cosmetics.  So if weapon A and weapon B both provide the same type of effects (such as bleed for knives) then why have them other than because you like the look of them?  Take a handgun for example.  Right now, you have a pistol with medium ammo capacity and medium damage or a .44 with low ammo capacity and high damage.  These offer you two different options depending on your preferred way to play.  But what if you add another handgun that is also medium ammo capacity and medium damage.  What is the value other than looks?  There is also the issue of perks being used to improve skills with a given weapon.  You'd have to either add more perks to cover the additional weapons or group a bunch more weapons into each perk, which starts to feel excessive.  And then there's the fact that they are using 3 tiers for weapons (some only have 2 right now and that should really be changed).  If they added another tier as a late game option, that would open up space for some additional weapons, though they'd have to be ones that fit in that tier, so that would eliminate many of the weapons people might be looking for.

I agree that having your favorite type of weapon in the game can be great.  I like staves and swords and other types of medieval weaponry but other than just for the look of it, I don't think it really adds much to include it.  There are mods that add in many more weapons if you want to give it a try.

New armor will be coming in A22.  It will replace the current armor/clothing system.  Not sure if I'll like how they are doing it but we'll see.

I think his focus is on melee weapons, hearing that he is telling about medieval swords and maces. And here the game got a bunch of potential, think about his mentioned stuff, TFP could specialize it for attacking feets, so zeds would fall off. I didn`t dislike the spear in A20, it was quite unique and sometimes really enjoyed playing it. Alternate attack was a standalone feature and as this attack knocked back enemies you could easily pull it out when the zed was on the ground. But you do not use this attack when fighting against 3 or more zeds, throwing was a bad option then.

I think balancing this system for only melee weapons is quite challenging and devs got no focus on it. When the Zeds are running (according to your settings) melee is no such a big issue anymore so it isn`t worth to set focus on it. But yes, a wide range of melee weapons, all with their own unique abilities would be awesome. 😁

4 minutes ago, Gideon said:

Very deep mod capability with steam workshop support, so that people can mod and share mods to make the game in to the exact type of game they want.

The only part of this that doesn't exist currently is Steam Workshop. That will come later when the game is finished.