What do you want to see in Alpha 22/Gold:

Crypted

My list of things I would like to see in Alpha 22/Gold other than what's on the Roadmap to Gold and Beyond already. 

• More Zombies (So it's not the same zombies that your killing over and over again)
  • More Artwork/Decorations maybe with some graffiti in some run-down areas 
  • More Traps/Turrets 
  •  POI's (This is definitely already going to happen) I would love more bunker/underground POI's 
  • More Options in Settings (like the small containers going poof when you search and loot all of it in Alpha 21, I personally don't like that)
  • Hazmat Suit Fix (I think they said this would be fixed soon anyway) 
  • Maybe a Dog/Wolf Companion (I know this was talked about but I think this will be a really nice addition to the game other than the noise from barking)
  • At Least One More Trader (So your not visiting the same trader in different areas on the map)
  • Better Farming/Living Off The Land With (More Variety of Seeds to Grow)
  • More Weapons/Mods 
  • At Least One More Vehicle like a boat for example
  • Some Working Elevators (Not All Have To Be Working Just a Few)
  • Better Animal Models And More Kinds of Animals
  • Maybe More Types/Kinds Of Skill Books
  • Maybe More Perks/Perk Points applied to existing perks that are not complete
  • Optimization/Bug Fixes (This is already going to happen before the game goes gold)
  • A Hazard similar to the fire hazard coming to Alpha 21 but with maybe poisonous gas also 
  • Better Looking Backpack
  • Better Drinking/Eating Animations (which was talked about at some point) 
  • Maybe adding the Athletics perk back (where you run that perk over time Improves your stamina and recovers faster)

I know all of this would be a lot of work and some not really needed/wanted but would be greatly appreciated. 

What do you think should get added to Alpha 22? 

I hope that I give you all ideas for Alpha 22/Gold. 

Edited by Crypted (see edit history)

• Crypted changed the title to What do you want to see in Alpha 22/Gold:
12 hours ago, Crypted said:

My list of things I would like to see in Alpha 22/Gold other than what's on the Roadmap to Gold and Beyond already. 

• More Zombies I don't think we need more, but I'd like a variety of skins for each.
  • More Artwork/Decorations maybe with some graffiti Graffiti is problematic because you'll see the same thing repeatedly everywhere.
  • Traps/More Turrets Not really needed, but I'm fine with it.  I wouldn't mind a 7.62 turret just to make more use of my ammo.
  • POI's (This is probably already going to happen) Yes, it's already happening.  Many new ones for A21.
  • More Options in Settings I think everyone would like this.
  • Hazmat Suit Fix (I think they said this would be fixed soon anyway) With removal of clothing and going strict armor, I'm guessing this would become a mod.
  • Maybe a Dog/Wolf Companion Due to pathing, they said definitely not.
  • At Least One Or Two More Traders Not sure this is really necessary.  Not against it, though.
  • Better Farming With (More Types of Seeds) Again, not sure it's really necessary.
  • Weapons/More Mods I don't think we necessarily need more mods, but changing mods that aren't really much value for ones that would be more useful is good.  As far as more weapons... I think each weapon needs to be unique in what it offers rather than just a different gun with different ammo or something.  I wouldn't mind them adding a sword, though.
  • At Least One More Vehicle I'd be happy to see a boat so water maps are more viable or a real helicopter, but I don't think we'll see either.
  • Some Working Elevators (Not All Have To Be Working) This would be fun for bases, but I think it leads to a difficult time with POI design as it gives easy access to any floor.  Even if you had a bunch of stuff blocked in front of the elevators on various floors, it's still not great from a POI design standpoint, imo.
  • Better Animal Models And More Kinds of Animals I'm sure with all the art improvements, they'll eventually improve animal art (I hope so).  More animals aren't a big deal.  Other than running them over for fun, I ignore animals except in the first few days until I can feed myself through normal play without trying to hunt (just killing wolves that attack, etc.).
  • Maybe More Types/Kinds Of Skill Books They are already changing how stuff works for crafting, so I think we're better off seeing how that works before thinking about if more changes would be good or not.
  • Maybe More Perks Anything in particular?
  • Optimization/Bug Fixes (This is already going to happen before the game goes gold) Yes, already planned.
  • A Hazard similar to the fire hazard coming to Alpha 21 but with maybe gas Well, fire is from gas, but I assume you mean poisonous gas.  There aren't many sources of poisonous gas you'd find in a town, so it's not a great option.  Broken gas pipes on fire can be common, though gas leaking and on fire for X years is unrealistic.  Still not sure that these will be of any interest as you could just break it and ignore the shutoff valve or run through it and drink water to ignore the damage.  Seems more visual effect than anything else to me.
  • Fishing I like fishing in games but only if done well.  Some games implement fishing in very annoying ways.  I'm fine with it here but I think I heard it mentioned that they don't want to add that to this game.
  • Sleeping No.  I don't play a game to sit around waiting for my character to sleep.  In games with sleeping, you "fast forward" when you sleep, but you can't do that in this game.
  • More Minerals For what purpose?  More isn't always better.  If there is no good reason other than just having more things to gather and take up space, then I don't like this option.
  • Better Looking Backpack  In what way?  I think it looks fine.  I'm fine with better UI, but it should remain in a style that fits the game.  But the backpack itself doesn't really seem to need anything.
  • Better Drinking/Eating Animations These animations are not a big deal to me.  There are other animations that I'd rather see improved (climbing for one).

I know all of this would be a lot of work and some not really needed/wanted but would be greatly appreciated. 

What do you think should get added to Alpha 22?

I just want lockable slots in a vehicle/drone so you don't pull certain stuff out with the Take All button and more control over tile placement in RWG so you can do some more interesting tiles and "towns", such as airports, railways, tile-based rivers, subways/sewers, boulevards, raised roads, etc.  And also better options for gateway tiles.  If I could have more paint/texture options (they keep saying no) and get more of the items that are available in the POI Editor made available in the game (also basically a no for most things at least), I'd really be happy.  But those are pretty much off the table, unfortunately.

Thank you for your opinion Riamus because it's always nice to see what someone else thinks. I only created this topic because Alpha 21 should be coming out soon because of the dev streams coming soon. Wanted to create this topic before Alpha 22 dev diary got put on the forums so The Fun Pimps could possibly see any of these posts. I agree with you on somethings like more interesting tiles and "towns", such as airports, railways, tile-based rivers, subways/sewers, boulevards, raised roads, etc. 

Maybe More Perks Anything in particular? I was thinking the living off the land perk because it looks like it could fit more perk points there because it only has three. 

Thank you for your opinion Riamus because it's always nice to see what someone else thinks. I only created this topic because Alpha 21 should be coming out soon because of the dev streams coming soon. Wanted to create this topic before Alpha 22 dev diary got put on the forums so The Fun Pimps could possibly see this. I agree with you on somethings like more interesting tiles and "towns", such as airports, railways, tile-based rivers, subways/sewers, boulevards, raised roads, etc. 

Maybe More Perks Anything in particular? I was thinking the living off the land perk because it looks like it could fit more perk points there because it only has three. 

To clarify, I wasn't in any way suggesting the post or ideas aren't good.  Just giving my personal opinions on them.  :)

I'm not sure what more points in LotL could provide.  I don't think we need to make farming more "fruitful" than it already is at LotL3.  This is a survival game after all, and it is already so very easy to feed yourself as it is after the first week or so.  It wouldn't really matter to me, though.

32 minutes ago, Riamus said:

To clarify, I wasn't in any way suggesting the post or ideas aren't good.  Just giving my personal opinions on them.  :)

I'm not sure what more points in LotL could provide.  I don't think we need to make farming more "fruitful" than it already is at LotL3.  This is a survival game after all, and it is already so very easy to feed yourself as it is after the first week or so.  It wouldn't really matter to me, though.

I know you were just giving your personal opinion on it. 🙂       

I just think living off the land doesn't really make any sense because to craft a seed you need five of whatever you want to make like corn seeds for an example. I think it would be nice to have a farming skill book series or something like that. 

59 minutes ago, Crypted said:

I know you were just giving your personal opinion on it. 🙂       

I just think living off the land doesn't really make any sense because to craft a seed you need five of whatever you want to make like corn seeds for an example. I think it would be nice to have a farming skill book series or something like that. 

Yes, but with LOTL 1 you would get out 6.5 of whatever you want to make **on average**. Use 5 for a seed again and use the 1.5 produce for food.

The "5" sounds big, but that is only the upfront cost to start your garden.

With LOTL 2 and 3 you get out even more, with LOTL3 you will profit even in worst case harvests

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

Yes, but with LOTL 1 you would get out 6.5 of whatever you want to make **on average**. Use 5 for a seed again and use the 1.5 produce for food.

The "5" sounds big, but that is only the upfront cost to start your garden.

With LOTL 2 and 3 you get out even more, with LOTL3 you will profit even in worst case harvests

I just have the console version but i've seen some youtubers make videos on farming saying that it's not really worth the time or perk points to spend. But I have seen enough gameplay to decide for myself and in my opinion based on what i've seen it's not worth the time because you can hunt and get food a lot easier and faster. I get what your saying though.  🙂

5 hours ago, Crypted said:

I just have the console version but i've seen some youtubers make videos on farming saying that it's not really worth the time or perk points to spend. But I have seen enough gameplay to decide for myself and in my opinion based on what i've seen it's not worth the time because you can hunt and get food a lot easier and faster. I get what your saying though.  🙂

For me, farming is something that suits my convenience. I do not need to actively hunt because the meat I get passively by fending off wolves, for example, is more than enough. In addition, you have the advantage with higher quality food that you do not have to eat so often. My only criticism is that these dishes should do more than just fill you up.

It's only worth it at all IF you max it out, and even then the chances of harvesting a seed from your crops still seems lower. It requires a LOT of work to get a suitable garden going, almost as if TFP doesn't really want players to do any farming. Even maxed out, I end up spending a LOT of my yield making more seeds just to make sure I'll have a good supply of produce for my group's meals.

I'll farm starting in the mid to late game. There's usually no point in starting an early farm as I don't have the cooking skill for advanced recipes that use the produce. I enjoy hunting and foraging at night, so early game I'm usually flush on bacon and eggs.

Like @Old Crow the mid-game effort is spent spinning up more seeds to get to my production goals once I've put some points into Living Off The Land to lower the cost of making Farm Plots -- not to have positive seed production.

Once I'm nearing my production goals I'll invest more in the cooking skill so I can use the farm's produce.

If you get by with hunting and the weaker food stuff then good your you. I agree that meat is a bit too easy to get right now which makes me suspect there will be some rebalance in the future. If that happens you might have to reevaluate whats the best course is for you.

As you can see there are wildly different opinions about it. I start a farm early and usually only invest 1 point into LotL and that immediately at start so I get the farmplot bonus immediately. Time to tend to the farm is available in scores because I have nights where I stay in the crafting base and then harvesting is just another mini task besides cooking and glue and ammo production and ...

For that I get lots of the better foods which means I save time with hunting/harvesting meat/eating. I don't think I need more time than you, but if you have fun with hunting then that is exactly what you should prefer doing.

You will find a youtuber for every imaginable true or false opinion. Also youtubers need to present action in their videos which means their playstyle is often geared to fighting/hunting/scavenging, farming and other "organisational" tasks need to be cut from their videos or kept to a minimum. I am not surprised.

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

If you get by with hunting and the weaker food stuff then good your you. I agree that meat is a bit too easy to get right now which makes me suspect there will be some rebalance in the future. If that happens you might have to reevaluate whats the best course is for you.

As you can see there are wildly different opinions about it. I start a farm early and usually only invest 1 point into LotL and that immediately at start so I get the farmplot bonus immediately. Time to tend to the farm is available in scores because I have nights where I stay in the crafting base and then harvesting is just another mini task besides cooking and glue and ammo production and ...

For that I get lots of the better foods which means I save time with hunting/harvesting meat/eating. I don't think I need more time than you, but if you have fun with hunting then that is exactly what you should prefer doing.

You will find a youtuber for every imaginable true or false opinion. Also youtubers need to present action in their videos which means their playstyle is often geared to fighting/hunting/scavenging, farming and other "organisational" tasks need to be cut from their videos or kept to a minimum. I am not surprised.

I mean don't get me wrong farming is nice because of the different plants you can grow and different foods you can make. It would be my preferred choice of food if it was at least a little easier to farm, (but I'm not saying that it should be really easy). Honestly if there was a LOTL skill book series, in my opinion this would be all that really needs to happen. I think they will add this book series because it says in the Alpha 21 dev diary. (23 new magazines added to loot). 

I think farming is worth it. I think it is more a matter of when you start to farm, than if you farm.

• If you're playing with others then somebody getting into it quickly is a good idea. You, or somebody, is probably also going to get into cooking pretty early.
  • If you're playing solo, then it is going to depend on where you place your priorities. (I'm usually solo.)

If you're going to hang out at a base at night to craft, build, or mine, then a farm is going to be handy early because you're not generating any food otherwise.

Early game, I'm going to need feathers, so I'll be out hunting chickens, buzzards, and bird nests and whatever zombies and animals I find along the way in nests, trash, and corpses so I'll come back with: eggs, meat, water, brains, nitrate, leather, glue, bones, etc. Note the brains and nitrate are farm plot ingredients that I can bank until I pick up LotL.

Early game I'm more likely to spend my points on being tougher, sneakier, stamina, and doing more damage. Mid-game I feel I can spread out more into farming and then cooking.

For me, farming is essential after the early game.  I don't put any points into LotL until after I get the perks I consider more important for me - I quest and scavenge a lot, so I max Daring Adventurer asap, max Parkour asap, and start getting Lucky Looter up right after those (I do usually put one point in that from my initial tutorial points).  Then it is often weapon-based perks.  Only after that do I bother with LotL, but will max it right away at that point.  I refuse to plant anything until I max it.

For me, the benefits of farming is that I don't have to hunt (I hate hunting... I'd rather by killing zombies).  I'll usually get plenty of meat from just killing off wolves and bears and occasionally mountain lions that attack me since I am cooking food with vegetables rather than only meat.  No need to hunt.  And eggs are so annoying to collect that I get away from those as soon as possible.  With the higher tier foods made with vegetables, I can eat once or twice a day rather than half a dozen or more times at the lower tiers that you can make only from hunting and gathering eggs.  Having to constantly eat or drink is annoying to me, so I like having the higher tier foods.  And farming is easy.  Sure, it takes 5-10 minutes for a medium sized plot each planting/harvest to collect everything, create any missing seeds, and replant.  But that's far less time than hunting.  And if you aren't either in the snow where animals are everywhere or "waste" points in the hunting perk in order to see the animals, you're going to spend even more time hunting.  Not worth it to me.  At LotL3, I will have good harvests and bad harvests.  I've had 0 produce left after replacing seeds even at LotL3 (I don't think that's supposed to happen, but it has) and I even think I had -1 one time,  though I can't be positive about that now.  But other times, I'll come out with a ton of vegetables as all seeds get recovered.  In the end, it averages out to a good value and I do well with it.  For SP, having half a dozen each of corn, potatoes, and mushrooms works very well.  You'll quickly have way more food than you can eat.

I'm not annoyed by the "farming game" comprised of if you get a seed back or not, but I'd be completely cool if it would just automatically replant. I find the extra clicks and effort to craft replacement seeds to be tedious. It's maybe neat little mini-game if you have no LotL, but all I'm going to do when LotL is at 0 is store the produce and seeds for later.

1 hour ago, zztong said:

I'm not annoyed by the "farming game" comprised of if you get a seed back or not, but I'd be completely cool if it would just automatically replant. I find the extra clicks and effort to craft replacement seeds to be tedious. It's maybe neat little mini-game if you have no LotL, but all I'm going to do when LotL is at 0 is store the produce and seeds for later.

Its not a mini-game but idiocy to craft seeds if you have no LotL

1 minute ago, meganoth said:

Its not a mini-game but idiocy to craft seeds if you have no LotL

I agree. I'm mostly thinking of the "did I get a seed back when I harvested" as a mini-game. I could skip that in favor of auto-replant and just give me the remaining produce, even if that were LotL 4.

1 hour ago, Riamus said:

At LotL3, I will have good harvests and bad harvests.  I've had 0 produce left after replacing seeds even at LotL3 (I don't think that's supposed to happen, but it has) and I even think I had -1 one time,  though I can't be positive about that now. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but LotL3 gives triple the plants (according to description) which would mean 6 plants per seed. Even worst case with no seeds back you get one plant out of every pot and a seed to replant.  A bug happening here would be very conspicuous and I think we can rule that out.

So I'd say this didn't happen and you just miscalculated, for example forgot that you had one pot empty or filled with a different plant, or you had a mod running, or ...

48 minutes ago, Crypted said:

Just a thought to see if anyone wanted another one, me personally I don't really care but I would like to see the existing workstations/crafting stations look different you know since the forge and workbench got changed. 

I have a feeling they will all change.

53 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but LotL3 gives triple the plants (according to description) which would mean 6 plants per seed. Even worst case with no seeds back you get one plant out of every pot and a seed to replant.  A bug happening here would be very conspicuous and I think we can rule that out.

So I'd say this didn't happen and you just miscalculated, for example forgot that you had one pot empty or filled with a different plant, or you had a mod running, or ...

Yes, this is indeed possible.  😁

1 hour ago, zztong said:

I can't think of a purpose for one.

I'm going to change my mind. If we're dreaming, I'd like to shift the campfire into being a kind of stone-age universal (low capability) workstation, and then open up a wood-burning stove for cooking to go with the existing workstations.

If they wanted to make a 3rd tier where things were electric powered that would be cool.

They could differentiate between three levels by slowing things down in the lower levels.

I think the secret stash should stay In but make It to where you had to do enough quests for any of the traders to unlock It and get better loot. TFP could also adjust the loot in the secret stash accordingly based on your level, so your still getting better loot but not a motorcycle on day one for an example. Maybe something to do with reputation or something else, who knows because there Is two factions getting added and also bandits. 

This Is just my idea of what It could be like instead of removing It. 

What do you think It should be?

4 hours ago, Crypted said:

I think the secret stash should stay In but make It to where you had to do enough quests for any of the traders to unlock It and get better loot. TFP could also adjust the loot in the secret stash accordingly based on your level, so your still getting better loot but not a motorcycle on day one for an example. Maybe something to do with reputation or something else, who knows because there Is two factions getting added and also bandits. 

This Is just my idea of what It could be like instead of removing It. 

What do you think It should be?

Ah, nostalgia.

I'm glad it is gone. It was a very unpractical way of separating out a too large part of the goods into an unsorted secondary list. Whenever you went to the trader you wasted time because you always had to check that second list for any stuff you wanted. If you wanted ammo for example you looked in the general ammo category but then had to look up and search the stash for ammo again.

If at all, the "secret" items should have been a handful at max and real premium items at a premium price you could only afford if you specifically saved dukes for that purpose.