Teragon Unofficial Documentation

Riamus

Teragon is a map generator created by Pille.  Official documentation will become available at a later time.  Until then, I have started work on an unofficial documentation for Teragon.  You can view and download this below.  It will continue to be updated, so check back occasionally.  There is still a lot of work to do with it, but it covers many commands and includes screenshot comparisons to help you understand what changing various parameters will do.  I will update this first post with the latest update time and date so you can easily see if there is a newer version available.  If you have any questions or comments, or if you find any mistakes, please let me know.  You can also find me on Teragon's Discord channel.

Teragon Discord

For questions about using Teragon, please visit #discussions on Teragon's Discord channel.

A20 Documentation (this will no longer be updated)  -- Use with Teragon v0.42 or older

A21 Documentation (this will continue to receive updates)  -- Use with Teragon v0.43.0 or newer

Hint: If you download the PDF instead of viewing it in your browser, you will be able to click on items in the Table of Contents to jump to the right page.

Note that the link to the PDF version is available from the Help Center tab in Teragon.  As of v0.44.0, much of the documentation will be visible from within Teragon when clicking on the commands.  You can still view the documentation files linked here to see comparisons and examples, as well as additional information not available from within Teragon.

Last Update: 10:05PM EDT January 7, 2024

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

Teragon 0.40.0 was released.  A link to this documentation is now available from the Help Center tab on Teragon itself so you can find it easily.  If you decide to download the documentation rather than viewing it online, I recommend updating it at least each time a new version of Teragon comes out (probably at least 24 hours after so I have time to upload it if I'm not around when the Teragon update comes out).

2 hours ago, LINKEN said:

Hi

after the update to 0.40.0 the factorys are all on the map. thank you very much for the great work :)

Yeah, the previous versions didn't use certain tiles, which meant some POI wouldn't show up.  That is working now.

Teragon 0.41.0 is now released and documentation has been updated.

Please read the new Initial Setup section of the documentation and update your presets accordingly.  This will help to prevent problems for people using your presets.

• 2 weeks later...

It was pointed out that Google Docs can no longer show this documentation online due to the size having grown too large.  It still works fine if downloaded, but I am adding a PDF version that you can also use if that works better for you.  It will be updated whenever I update the Word document.  See the first post for the link to the PDF.  Note that the PDF is just converted by Word and there may be some issues with it compared to viewing the Word document itself.

• 2 weeks later...

You can get to the Discord server by clicking on the Help menu in Teragon and clicking on Teragon Discord.  Here is a link for it, though.  I do not know if links change or not, so you should always use the Help menu to get there in case this link stops working at some point.

With A21 Experimental coming out on Monday, please be aware that any maps you have created with Teragon will not work in A21.  I believe you'll be able to create a new map in Teragon after installing A21 and it'll work but until we can test that, I can't be certain.  I'll update this after I find out for sure.  Keep in mind that Teragon will not have some of the newest RWG features like country tiles initially and it may be some time before all the new features are added to Teragon.  If you have trouble with Teragon maps in A21 and you created the map after installing A21, please check on Teragon's discord channel in #discussions for help.

I have updated the documentation with some additional information to help with generating maps in Teragon.  Most things are now included in the documentation.

Ok, as promised, here is an update for using Teragon with A21-- You can use Teragon to create A21 worlds in its current version after you have A21 installed.  However, there are a few things to keep in mind.

• If you want the new wilderness POIs to appear in the wilderness of your Teragon maps, you need to update the POI Property List to include those new POIs.  This is not done for you but you might be able to get a copy of an updated list from someone who has made one.  Check in the #discussions channel in Discord to see if anyone can help you out with that.  Any new town POI will appear just fine.
  • The new country tiles may incorrectly get placed in towns because Teragon doesn't know what these are yet.  This hasn't been verified whether or not that will happen or if they are just ignored.  Either way, they will not be placed in the wilderness the way A21 RWG does since they are a new feature.
  • Make sure you update your game version that is in Teragon (Tools > Initial Setup, if you're using [gameversion] as recommended in your Game Version field; or just in the Game Version field if you are not using [gameversion] as recommended).  It should now say:  Alpha.21.0.302  .  Note that this version will change as updates come out but it should work fine if you leave it at this version, though you are welcome to update it with each new A21 update.  In fact, it would probably be fine to have it as Alpha.21.0.0  , though this hasn't been verified.
  • As a reminder, any custom POIs or mods will not work until they are updated for A21.  Do not try making a map that uses them if they haven't been updated for A21.

If you have problems with making A21 maps in Teragon, please check on Discord for help.

EDIT: Ok, so there does seem to be a problem with Teragon in A21 where it isn't creating traders.  You may have to manually add them or wait until Teragon's next update.

• 3 weeks later...

Teragon will be compatible with A21 soon, with certain features not yet implemented or not fully implemented.  But it will work fine for creating your A21 maps.  There is an A21 compatible testing version currently available in the #testing channel of Discord if you want to start using it before the official release.  Please note:  If you are using a previously created preset, you must replace the text in the Read POI Property List command with what is in the Read POI Property List command in the updated default preset in order to have the A21 wilderness/region POI.

I've updated the online documentation ahead of the official update this time because there are new POI Property List parameters that anyone using the testing version will need to know about.  The documentation may get an update again shortly after the official update is out for Teragon if there are changes made between now and then.

Teragon 0.43.2 has been released and is compatible with A21.  There are a few items still needing to be updated for A21 but maps can be created without manual work with this release.  The updated documentation lists the things still needing to be added to Teragon.

Reminder:  As mentioned in the post above, if you are using a preset that was made in an earlier release of Teragon, you must update your Read POI Property List command with the POI Property List located in the updated default preset in order to get the new wilderness POI.

If you still want to use Teragon to make A20 maps, you will need to continue using 0.42.0.  No further updates will work for making A20 maps.

Teragon 0.43.3 was just released to fix an error in 0.43.2.  If you were not previously using Teragon for A20 or if you removed Teragon and downloaded a clean copy instead of updating it, then it would crash when you clicked Run.  This is fixed in 0.43.3.  HOWEVER, for the fix to work, you will need to remove Teragon and download a clean copy if you were having trouble with 0.43.2.  Just updating will not fix it for you.

Alternatively, you can open the Tools > Initial Setup dialog and update all of the paths to the correct paths and that will also fix the problem for you.

Be careful if you're removing your current Teragon folder if you have any presets saved in there so that you don't delete those as well.

I just created a map with Teragon after updating it , and tried to play it and it said the map was still in Alpha 20 and I couldn't even start the game. When trying to start a game the map had Alpha 20 in big red letters and the start game button was grayed out. This was before I had read your statement about deleting the Read property list and pasting in the new one. Was that the issue or is it still not useable for A21?

I forgot to change my version to A21 in the tools command:) It works now:)

Edited by Astralweaver
Found Solution to Issue (see edit history)

On 7/10/2023 at 9:46 PM, Astralweaver said:

I just created a map with Teragon after updating it , and tried to play it and it said the map was still in Alpha 20 and I couldn't even start the game. When trying to start a game the map had Alpha 20 in big red letters and the start game button was grayed out. This was before I had read your statement about deleting the Read property list and pasting in the new one. Was that the issue or is it still not useable for A21?

I forgot to change my version to A21 in the tools command:) It works now:)

Yeah, you just need to change the version in Teragon to match the game. I'm glad you got it working. 😀

Teragon v0.44.0 is now available.  It includes a completely new UI that allows you to view much of the documentation directly within Teragon as well as a new Tour option (F12) that will explain some of the interface.  The new UI allows you to undock tabs to allow you to place them in a format you like as well as using multiple monitors.  The documentation has also received a significant update, including all the new features of Teragon and a split of the A20 version documentation from the A21 version documentation.  The A20 documentation will no longer be updated.  The A21 documentation will continue to receive updates and all references to older versions of Teragon and outdated information has been removed.  You can still reference the older information in the A20 documentation.  I recommend looking over the updated A21 documentation to see all of the changes and additional documentation.  The updated links are in the first post and I'll only be sharing the PDF links going forward.

Again, if you have questions, the best place for support is in #discussions on Teragon's Discord server (the link is in Teragon).  You can ask me here as well but I may miss the question.

On 7/26/2023 at 6:50 PM, The_Great_Sephiroth said:

Call me thick, but where do you download it? I have the documentation linked above and I have the old A20 version of Teragon but cannot find a download for the new Teragon.

Update:

Found an old version and it updated to 0.44.2 so I believe I am good now.

I know you got it working, but for others: Teragon should update itself to the new version if you already have it.  Otherwise, I believe the link is in the kinggen thread and was posted in January.  It is also available from discord.

Teragon 0.45 is now available and the documentation has been updated (see the first post for the link to the documentation.  There are some exciting new commands in this version, including the ability to make directional environmental biome maps that can give you a north/south, east/west, or radial biomes so you could have snow in the north and desert in the south, for example; crevices that can even have ambient light, white smoke and/or black smoke in them, and cliffed coasts where you can have cliffs near your water or even set them away from your water.