Teragon Unofficial Documentation

Riamus

Teragon v0.46.0 is now available and documentation updated.  This update provides a variety of fixes and improvements to existing commands.  It also adds a preview image for presets (you need to include the image) and an additional default preset.  The Add Source Path command now also includes a list of POI that are found with that command and the ability to see previews of the POIs, making it easier to know if your command is set up correctly.  There are additional shading options for terrain and water to provide a better view of your preview map.  These options only affect the preview image and not your in-game map.  You can also now right click on a command's parameters to take a screenshot of the parameters (even if they are partially off the screen) in order to share your settings when asking for help.

A20 maps are also supported in this version in order to fix an issue in the v0.42.0 version.  The A20 documentation will not be updated to reflect using this version for A20, so you may need to look at both versions of the documentation if you're trying to figure something out.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

On 9/10/2023 at 8:06 AM, Ru Melin said:

Hy, may I ask about the status of Teragon and A21?

Best regards

Sorry for the delay.  This thread is easily lost in the posts, so I don't always see if someone posts here.  Teragon works fine with A21.

Teragon 0.47 has been released and the documentation updated.  There are many changes and improvements in this release, including some optimizations to various commands to improve generation speeds.  In addition, you can now create groups of POIs that can be placed as if they were a single POI (including being rotated).  This allows you to place the airport mod or similar groups of POI on your maps with ease.  Note that although group POIs can be placed randomly by using [random] for the coordinates, it is usually going to work best to place them in specific places.  This is because group POI are generally going to be larger than a normal individual POI (especially if you're grouping multiple tiles together) and if that gets placed on top of a mountain, it will look pretty bad.  :)

Teragon v0.48.0 has been released and the documentation is updated.  Many of the new things in this version are designed to help with placement of POI in towns, though there are a variety of new features and bugfixes available.  Enjoy!

There are also some new parameters for Create Rivers that can allow Rivers to grow in width as they head towards the edge of the map.

Teragon 0.49.0 has been released.  This version focuses on the 3D Previewer.  You can now view your maps in 3D in Teragon, making it far easier to look for problems without having to load the map into the game.  Note that the previewer is still new and there will be improvements to it.

To use the previewer, you will need to download it first.  To do so, go to the Help menu in Teragon v0.49.0 or newer and choose to download the previewer.  It will download a .ZIP file.  Extract that to your Teragon folder.  Once you have the previewer installed, you can use the new Update Preview 3D command in your preset to create the 3D preview.  The original Update Preview command is only for the 2D preview.  If you want to have both previews, you will need to use both commands.  Note that the 3D Preview can take a little bit to fully load, so wait until it finishes loading before trying to navigate the preview.

Once the 3D preview is fully loaded, click on the Capture Mouse button at the top of the preview and then click on the preview itself and you'll be able to navigate around the map.  Press F1 to see the keys available to you in the preview window.  ESC will remove the mouse capture and allow you to continue to use Teragon.

The documentation has been updated to include information about the 3D Previewer.

Minor update to the documentation.  The Previewer was updated with a couple more keys you can use and that changed some of the keybindings, so the documentation is updated to show the updated keybindings.  Note that the 3D Preview can now show tile colors based on districts.

I downloaded latest version of Teragon but it won't load. When I click the exe file a white box pops up for a few seconds with the word Notification in it then disappears. Earlier version still works but it doesn't ask if I want to update.

Posted (edited)

To expand on what Pille said, Teragon needs to be in a folder labeled Teragon.  If you have two copies, that likely means you named it something else.  Rename it to Teragon (you can either drop the folder on a different drive or in a subfolder called something else or you can rename your other copy to something else until/if you want to use that one again).  It should then work.  If it isn't showing the update window in your old version, you may already have updated (current version is 0.49.0).  If not, go into the Help menu and choose to check for updates to Teragon.

15 hours ago, Pille said:

My guess is that you have a display bug for some reason. I guess it wants to tell this: "You are not allowed to rename Teragon's main directory.".

14 hours ago, Riamus said:

To expand on what Pille said, Teragon needs to be in a folder labeled Teragon.  If you have two copies, that likely means you named it something else.  Rename it to Teragon (you can either drop the folder on a different drive or in a subfolder called something else or you can rename your other copy to something else until/if you want to use that one again).  It should then work.  If it isn't showing the update window in your old version, you may already have updated (current version is 0.49.0).  If not, go into the Help menu and choose to check for updates to Teragon.

Right on the money lol. I had folder called "Teragon Jan 8th, 2023" to show that it was latest copy. Thank you both.

1. The first official release was Jan 13th, 2023. So you can't have a version from Jan 8th 23.

2. It can update itself, so there's no reason to add a date to its directory name. 😉

8 hours ago, Pille said:

1. The first official release was Jan 13th, 2023. So you can't have a version from Jan 8th 23.

2. It can update itself, so there's no reason to add a date to its directory name. 😉

When I saw Riamus say there was a new update (0.49.0) on Sunday, the 7th, that is when I downloaded it.

The date added to the name was just for my benefit so I would know which one it was by looking at folder.

9 hours ago, Gamida said:

When I saw Riamus say there was a new update (0.49.0) on Sunday, the 7th, that is when I downloaded it.

The date added to the name was just for my benefit so I would know which one it was by looking at folder.

I was referring to the year. We have 2024. :)

23 hours ago, Pille said:

I was referring to the year. We have 2024. :)

Yeah I realized after that I had said 2023, but I meant 2024....I am still stuck on 2023 lol

As you can see below I have kept a few teragon downloads over the past year.

I had it labelled right in my folder I just typed it wrong in the post. :)

image.png.f1785d889933d46ed321e8cc3e8bcaa8.png

Edited by Gamida (see edit history)