Factorio

ungkor

6 hours ago, ungkor said:

This might be far out there, but on my tenth trip between base1 and base2, I thought to myself:  it would be really awesome to have trains in this game.

Sounds like fun. But if you're going from one base to another (or any two points, repeatedly), I would think that having to drive with a full 4x4 would be less intensive than building tracks, breaking boulders, cutting trees, levelling ground, building bridges and burrowing through hills. Considering how the game works today anyways. And if base1 is being 'abandoned' in favor of base2, why would one want to put in a very expensive railway? But that's merely my logic. A train would be fun though.

Perhaps someone will create a hi-speed rail mod for 7dtd.  All aboard the Navezgane choo-choo! Hey, it could happen. 🚆

7 hours ago, stample said:

We've totally flattened and/or tunneled through mountains just to build a flatter and straighter path between our base and a trader.  Never underestimate the amount of work a lazy person will do to save seconds in the future

Or to put off for a bit longer the pulling weeds, finishing honeydo's, or completing homework that needs doing in the real world, amirite?

20 hours ago, Roland said:

Or to put off for a bit longer the pulling weeds, finishing honeydo's, or completing homework that needs doing in the real world, amirite?

Who would do such a thing?! 😁

A train could be fun, but I'd settle for an auto-drive feature, even if it only followed roads rather than going anywhere (to ease pathfinding logic).  I could set it and go grab something to eat or whatever rather than manually driving 3-5km or more at times.

it would be cool to see a ring road/track that connects every trader. If you were setting up shop, that would be an ideal location for deliveries. Rust recently implemented a raily system like this to all major monuments. I thought it was silly until I took my first train ride and realized how nice it is to have a system that practically drives itself.

Making this up... but...If there was a vehicle (like a car) that could straddle a block (or a specific block/shape) and not be able to drove off of it, then that would work. Then an enhancement would be "it can move forward without a player", so you could have it always driving... but i would assume on e it made it to the end of the chunk and entered one without players, it would stop moving.  BUT it would be useful for mining/mines and traveling as you could ride in it and use it for storage.... if you built the track.  But it would be cool to come a ross "useable track" in an RNG world that you could work with.

Additionally, if this existed ( vehicle or object with wheels that could stay on a track) it might make some interesting "traps": in a poi it could roll and fall and block your path, it could be used to fall on or block zeds (they break blocks, trap blocks, it freely rolls). It would also open up some "liveliness" to pois (like a roller coaster or carnival ride that actually works, ride it (or just stand on it... so you can shoot) and shoot zeds like an old "rail shooter" mini game.

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)