Disable cheats option in game setup does nothing

Cr0wst0rm

As the title says, players are still able to access console commands when they opt out to disable these cheats. That makes no sense at all. I actually tried to modify these values myself in serveradmins.xml, but no result at all. Can anyone give me a clue how could i approach this issue? Thanks

sounds to me like someone has the game or server misconfigured.

in the serveradmin.xml if these are anything other then "zero" then that is a problem as well. (the zero is for top admin only)

<permission cmd="dm" permission_level="0" />
<permission cmd="cm" permission_level="0" />

also in the serverconfig.xml

<property name="BuildCreate"		value="false" /><!-- cheat mode on/off -->

Edited by unholyjoe (see edit history)

1 hour ago, unholyjoe said:

sounds to me like someone has the game or server misconfigured.

in the serveradmin.xml if these are anything other then "zero" then that is a problem as well. (the zero is for top admin only)

also in the serverconfig.xml

<property name="BuildCreate"		value="false" /><!-- cheat mode on/off -->

actually, these values do not prevent me from using cm/dm, doest this mean i cant "unadmin" myself when i start the game? This is only for connecting players right?

7 minutes ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

actually, these values do not prevent me from using cm/dm, doest this mean i cant "unadmin" myself when i start the game? This is only for connecting players right?

Found in the serveradmin.xml file:

image.thumb.png.f34d24a256e7cf74d5e5e41561aefe2e.png

Just remove anyone listed there, or change the permission level. Or, in-game, go to the console and enter "admin remove Jugginator", for example.

3 hours ago, Jugginator said:

Just remove anyone listed there, or change the permission level. Or, in-game, go to the console and enter "admin remove Jugginator", for example.

I have same empty pregenerated file. I tried adding myself as an NON admin persona (tried both level 0 and 1000 yet still i am able to run cm and dm commands) both ways.... Here is my xml config

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!--
   This file holds the settings for who is banned, whitelisted,
   admins and server command permissions. The admin and whitelist sections can contain
   both individual Steam users as well as Steam groups.

STEAM ID INSTRUCTIONS:
   ===============================================================
   You can find the SteamID64 of any user with one of the following pages:
   https://steamdb.info/calculator/, https://steamid.io/lookup, http://steamid.co/
   http://steamid.co/ instructions:
   Input the player's name in the search field. example: Kinyajuu
   If the name doesn't work, you can also use the url of their steam page.
   Also you may add/remove admins, mods, whitelist, blacklist using in game commands.
   You will want the STEAM64ID. example: 76561198021925107

STEAM GROUP ID INSTRUCTIONS:
   You can find the SteamID64 of any group by taking its address and adding
     /memberslistxml/?xml=1
   to the end. You will get the XML information of the group which should have an entry
   memberList->groupID64.
   Example: The 'Steam Universe' group has the address
     https://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamuniverse
   So you point your browser to
     https://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamuniverse/memberslistxml/?xml=1
   And see that the groupID64 is 103582791434672565.

PERMISSION LEVEL INSTRUCTIONS:
   permission level : 0-1000, a user may run any command equal to or above their permission level.
   Users not given a permission level in this file will have a default permission level of 1000!

COMMAND PERMISSIONS INSTRUCTIONS:
   cmd : This is the command name, any command not in this list will not be usable by anyone but the server.
   permission level : 0-1000, a user may run any command equal to or above their permission level.
   Commands not specified in this file will have a default permission level of 0!

EVERYTHING BETWEEN <!- - and - -> IS COMMENTED OUT! THE ENTRIES BELOW ARE EXAMPLES THAT ARE NOT ACTIVE!!!
-->
<adminTools>
  <!-- Name in any entries is optional for display purposes only -->
  <admins>
    <!-- <user steamID="76561198021925107" name="Hint on who this user is" permission_level="0" /> -->
    <!-- <group steamID="103582791434672565" name="Steam Universe" permission_level_default="1000" permission_level_mod="0" /> -->
  </admins>
  <permissions>
    <!-- <permission cmd="dm" permission_level="0" /> -->
    <!-- <permission cmd="kick" permission_level="1" /> -->
    <!-- <permission cmd="say" permission_level="1000" /> -->
    <permission cmd="kill" permission_level="0" />
    <permission cmd="chunkcache" permission_level="1000" />
    <permission cmd="debugshot" permission_level="1000" />
    <permission cmd="debugweather" permission_level="1000" />
    <permission cmd="getgamepref" permission_level="1000" />
    <permission cmd="getgamestat" permission_level="1000" />
    <permission cmd="getoptions" permission_level="1000" />
    <permission cmd="gettime" permission_level="1000" />
    <permission cmd="gfx" permission_level="1000" />
    <permission cmd="help" permission_level="1000" />
    <permission cmd="listplayerids" permission_level="1000" />
    <permission cmd="listthreads" permission_level="1000" />
    <permission cmd="memcl" permission_level="1000" />
    <permission cmd="settempunit" permission_level="1000" />
  </permissions>
  <whitelist>
    <!-- ONLY PUT ITEMS IN WHITELIST IF YOU WANT WHITELIST ONLY ENABLED!!! -->
    <!-- If there are any items in the whitelist, the whitelist only mode is enabled -->
    <!-- Nobody can join that ISN'T in the whitelist or admins once whitelist only mode is enabled -->
    <!-- Name is optional for display purposes only -->
    <!-- <user steamID="" name="" /> -->
    <!-- <group steamID="" name="" /> -->
  </whitelist>
  <blacklist>
    <!-- <blacklisted steamID="" name="" unbandate="" reason="" /> -->
    <blacklisted platform="Steam" userid="76561198271551431" name="DeathRace" unbandate="2030-12-12 00:00:00" reason="obama" />
  </blacklist>
</adminTools>

3 hours ago, Jugginator said:

Admin remove and add is not working, saying invalid id both when specified name and/or id

Edited by Cr0wst0rm (see edit history)

11 hours ago, unholyjoe said:

are you running the server from your own computer, are you renting a server, are you running game via p2p for others to connect?

where are you finding the serveradmin.xml saved at?

there may be a serveradmin.xml located elsewhere in a saved folder that its reading from.

P2P, i start basic game, no cheats and i can still use CM/DM and all other stuff !!!

location of serveradmin.xml is "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\Saves\serveradmin.xml"

I am not sure that serveradmin.xml is used at all in P2P games. The player starting the game is probably hardwired to have admin rights and all other players setting depends on the option.

If you start a dedicated server, then serveradmin.xml IS used correctly (at least the last time we checked).

4 hours ago, Javabean867 said:

Wait, are you only worried about yourself accessing cheats?  Or are you worried about other people accessing  cheats?  If it's the prior, just don't lol.

If it's the later then follow the other people's instructions.

well i need to make sure my friend in p2p wont be able to do so too

33 minutes ago, meganoth said:

I am not sure that serveradmin.xml is used at all in P2P games. The player starting the game is probably hardwired to have admin rights and all other players setting depends on the option.

If you start a dedicated server, then serveradmin.xml IS used correctly (at least the last time we checked).

quess im going with dedicated server then....

49 minutes ago, Gamida said:

So if just them joining your game do you mean they can access the creative menu.

Don't you just have to turn that off here...

image.png.a1d9ab773d3ea309e76fed827b2e76ef.png

or do this in console...

image.png.07f9cc521bbb8df644a200c991b5a940.png

Can you READ? I already said multiple times that i have cheats OFF!

Just now, Cr0wst0rm said:

This just shows that the game is either unpurposely or purposely (i dont care) broken. This should not be possible for a game that is 9 years in works. Devs should definitely do something about this. It just takes away the *need* to play the game by the rules and generaly makes it more boring when you know that you can cheat all the things in....

30 minutes ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

This just shows that the game is either unpurposely or purposely (i dont care) broken.

It's a setting between on/off, not a setting between on / off / "disable entirely". Once in a game, if you have sufficient rights, you can change the setting. It's not broken, it just isn't the switch you're looking for.

I don't think joining players have sufficient rights by default, but I haven't tried. At least I agree they likely shouldn't.

I don't know if it even should be possible for a p2p game to remove admin from the host; that wouldn't make much sense as he owns the files anyway.

If you can't get your friend to play a legit game just by talking with him.. it sounds like he doesn't want to?

If I knew what setting are actually required, I'd post them; but I don't, so, just rambling... :)

14 minutes ago, theFlu said:

It's a setting between on/off, not a setting between on / off / "disable entirely". Once in a game, if you have sufficient rights, you can change the setting. It's not broken, it just isn't the switch you're looking for.

I don't think joining players have sufficient rights by default, but I haven't tried. At least I agree they likely shouldn't.

I don't know if it even should be possible for a p2p game to remove admin from the host; that wouldn't make much sense as he owns the files anyway.

If you can't get your friend to play a legit game just by talking with him.. it sounds like he doesn't want to?

If I knew what setting are actually required, I'd post them; but I don't, so, just rambling... :)

Dont bother. They didnt hire him within the hour while he is convinced he is the best programmer in this universe. He is now just looking for little things to put a boot against the game.

3 minutes ago, theFlu said:

First post.. you wouldn't happen to be that friend of his? Welcome to the forum, but I'm perfectly able to pick my own battles, thanks! Just a little bored atm .. ;)

No way i could be his friend, ever. Been a long time forum user that quit, but with only lurking this guy made me want to make a new account and give him some "nice" feedback on his arrogant a$$.

1 hour ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

This just shows that the game is either unpurposely or purposely (i dont care) broken. This should not be possible for a game that is 9 years in works. Devs should definitely do something about this. It just takes away the *need* to play the game by the rules and generaly makes it more boring when you know that you can cheat all the things in....

I mean, if it is broken I'd agree it needs to be fixed. But, with that said, if you and your friends can't fight the urge to cheat then that reflects more on you than the game. It isn't that hard to not open the CM and grab something...

33 minutes ago, YourMirror said:

Dont bother. They didnt hire him within the hour while he is convinced he is the best programmer in this universe. He is now just looking for little things to put a boot against the game.

I never said i was the best programmer nor the game is bad

59 minutes ago, YourMirror said:

No way i could be his friend, ever. Been a long time forum user that quit, but with only lurking this guy made me want to make a new account and give him some "nice" feedback on his arrogant a$$.

At this point i dont need to think that you are one of them console crybabies

6 hours ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

Yes I can read. Can you? Well read this. When someone makes a comment even if it something that was repeated, be civil.

And don't bother to answer me as you are going to be among one of the very few who I have added to my ignore list.

Am sure there maybe a few others who also ignore you in future when you ask for help.

7 hours ago, Gamida said:

Yes I can read. Can you? Well read this. When someone makes a comment even if it something that was repeated, be civil.

And don't bother to answer me as you are going to be among one of the very few who I have added to my ignore list.

Am sure there maybe a few others who also ignore you in future when you ask for help.

If you are going to be hurt over the fact that i dont want to repeat myself, then dont bother answering at all.

I don't regard this as a computer or even a game design issue. Its a mechanical issue. Check for a loose nut on the keyboard. I know I've screwed up before on the forums, but this instance is noteworthy. Just my opinion. Since the thread has died a quick death anyway, it doesn't matter. 

Edited by Melange (see edit history)