Companion animals > drones

spiritking

Been awhile since I played 7dtd, noticed they have drones now that do everything from attacking, healing and storing loot for you, and while thats cool and all, what was the FP's reasoning for including the drone in the 1st place?

Would it not have been better (and make more sense) to just have gone with a companion animal like a dog/wolf etc, and have it do the same things (except healing of course). I mean, in a zombie apocalypse it would be pretty inconceivable for a normal person (who didnt take years in engineering courses) to create a contraption even remotely close to a drone as effective as that, but its completely within reason for anyone to find a pup and train it to fetch, guard, attack etc.

The animal could've been programmed just like the drone, minus the flying capabilities of course (unless you had a bird companion) and done almost everything it does already

I'm just curious as to why they decided to go that route, if they've ever stated why, and if companion animals will ever be introduced into the game.

I mean, this really comes down to personal preference, right? Drones are the "it" thing. Dog companions have been done to death in other games and while I agree it would be cool to have a dog, doing a drone was much more practical from an a.i. and pathing standpoint. Also, I don't have to feed a drone.

Also, just to clarify, drones don't attack...yet. There has been talk of adding that in the future, though, and I'm pretty sure there's code in the xmls that allude to it.

Edited by Syphon583 (see edit history)

100% pathing is the reason. They had models for a companion dog but scrapped it when they started looking seriously at implementation due to the nightmare of pathing. The drone floats above and so 99% of pathing issues are solved right away. It really was a no-brainer especially since it was a (forgive the pun) a pet project and not even one of the original goals or stretch goals.

On 9/21/2022 at 8:03 AM, Roland said:

100% pathing is the reason. They had models for a companion dog but scrapped it when they started looking seriously at implementation due to the nightmare of pathing. The drone floats above and so 99% of pathing issues are solved right away. It really was a no-brainer especially since it was a (forgive the pun) a pet project and not even one of the original goals or stretch goals.

Ahhh, I was wondering why Junk Turrets didn't have advancements into mobility (like a miniature tank esque Robotic sledge that followed around and then started attacking anything that got close that was hostile), here's hoping the Drones get the weaponry modification and allowed to bring two at a time.

20 hours ago, Weazelsun said:

Maybe one day someone will reskin the drone to have a chicken or vulture model.  Though I do wonder; if more deaths would occur with having a wolf companion constantly bumping into you? At least with the drone you can kind of dodge around it since its hovering.

Actually, I for one like the concept of having a skin for the drone. That opens up so many fun possibilities. 

Edited by Melange (see edit history)