It's the zombie apocalypse and there aren't any Hostess Twinkies

ElCabong

5 hours ago, Melange said:

Lol. On my first read, I pictured a happy little twinkie engine pulling a slew of wheeled carts filled with happy tourists who had just left the factory tour. At 2:00 AM? Oh, you mean the real railroad...shunting on the rails...and you wait and wait...not fun.

Nah the Factory was very 50s brutalist style. Mid sized boxy building with I think blue accents, large loading dock for trucks and a rail track going into the back of the building. They had a factory seconds shop but again it was very very basic. They sold cheap damaged boxes of twinkies or hoho’s or even crushed loaves of bread. Fun place to go as a kid but to my knowledge no tours were offered or given.

12 hours ago, Melange said:

Another example is the brand name atop the large round plastic rubbish bins in the game. They say 'BRATE' instead of 'BRUTE' - a trade name for that kind of product.

Maybe close enough to the original to still be recognizable?  Actually could have sworn they did say BRUTE when first appearing in a previous Alpha though. Memory fails me.

Your memory is correct. I remember, because I was the one who sent in a bug report that they shouldn't call them BRUTE rubbish bins. :humble:

Edited by Crater Creator (see edit history)

18 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

I was so dissapointed when i finally tried twinkies. Soooo much sugar. I couldn´t taste anything but sugar. Don´t get me wrong i like sweet things. But that was way too much. Guess as a european i am just not used to that much sugar.

Well, a brand called maytag explains my confusion. I always thought Maylag is a very weird way to refer to "Miele" washing machines.

What could even lead to more confusion: Immigrants to the US in the 1800's and early 1900's would often have the spelling of their family names changed by officials to look more 'American' - no umlauts  or other accents on letters. I'd be willing to wager that the name was originally 'Meitag', or very similar - meaning literally "Mowing day" in German -as with a scythe in the fields. Would have been pronounced more like 'my tawg', but it became Maytag.  TFP changed it further to May Lag. And so the English language evolves...

Edited by Melange (see edit history)