Harvesting crops in 20.6 and I noticed ...

Ripflex

Started a fresh new game, and usual I get 3/3 in the skill so I can harvest the most crops.  I have noticed every other crop getting around 3 - 6 seeds in my 7 slot plots, but only get 0 - 1 with Super Corn and Corn - I'm not kidding.  Now stuck with a lot of potatoes and mushrooms with little corn to cook with.

Yes it's a new game on 20.6 and yes I did a fresh install.

I can't be having bad luck ?

3 hours ago, Ripflex said:

Started a fresh new game, and usual I get 3/3 in the skill so I can harvest the most crops.  I have noticed every other crop getting around 3 - 6 seeds in my 7 slot plots, but only get 0 - 1 with Super Corn and Corn - I'm not kidding.  Now stuck with a lot of potatoes and mushrooms with little corn to cook with.

You most definitly can be having "bad luck". With that said tho, if you need more corn may I suggest raiding all the corn fields found scattered around the city edges and making a few extra corn plots as a just in case. 

17 hours ago, Ripflex said:

Bug? Bad Luck? Hyperbole? Impossible to say unless you post actual hard numbers. Most importantly that includes the number of harvesting rounds you made to conclude there is something strange going on.

I can say that there is a known bug (don't know whether it has been fixed or even acknowledged by TFP yet) that at start of the game the random number generator seem to start with the same sequence of random numbers.

Which means that the first thing you do in the game after starting it will always show the same results. So if you always start a new game in the morning of a new day and buy from the vending machine you will always see the same items in there. Or if you always start the game with farming you will always see the same sequence of seeds returned. Could this be happening in your case?

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

I can say that there is a known bug (don't know whether it has been fixed or even acknowledged by TFP yet) that at start of the game the random number generator seem to start with the same sequence of random numbers.

Which means that the first thing you do in the game after starting it will always show the same results. So if you always start a new game in the morning of a new day and buy from the vending machine you will always see the same items in there. Or if you always start the game with farming you will always see the same sequence of seeds returned. Could this be happening in your case?

I can confirm this is true for looting. If you name a game the same in the same map, and then loot the same container types in the same order, you will always get the extra same loot. Your spawn location will also be the same

It can't be RNG because 4 harvests in a row I get 1 seed from the SAME corn and super corn stalk.   That's the weird thing.

What I'll do is remove the crops and plots and replace them and reverse corn and super corn spots and see if it fixes it.   This is soooo weird.

This way, if what you guys are saying I change the "container" (crop plot and it's crop position.   As before the other crops are working fine with 3/3 Living off the land.

Edited by Ripflex (see edit history)

22 minutes ago, Ripflex said:

It can't be RNG because 4 harvests in a row I get 1 seed from the SAME corn and super corn stalk.   That's the weird thing.

What I'll do is remove the crops and plots and replace tham and reverse cor and super corn see if it fixes it.   This is soooo weird.

This way, if what you guys are saying I change the "container" (crop plot and it's crop position.   As before the other crops are working fine with 3/3 Living off the land.

I guess @meganoth was asking...how many plants of corn are you harvesting? How much seed and how much vegetable do you get from each harvest? And compare those numbers to your other plant harvests? 

But, I have also found it to be a challenge to get ahead on Super corn in A20.6. I just decided that I would not farm until very late into my current play through..so I can't help you out with numbers as yet. Day 91 and not a crop planted.

Edited by Melange (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Melange said:

I guess @meganoth was asking...how many plants of corn are you harvesting? How much seed and how much vegetable do you get from each harvest? And compare those numbers to your other plant harvests? 

I think he answered it, 4 harvests and 7 farm plots with super corn. Getting just 1 seed every time is already a very improbable series hinting at a problem.

Ripflex, did you always harvest at the start of a new play session? If yes, it could be the bug I mentioned. 

8 hours ago, Melange said:

But, I have also found it to be a challenge to get ahead on Super corn in A20.6. I just decided that I would not farm until very late into my current play through..so I can't help you out with numbers as yet. Day 91 and not a crop planted.

Mathematically speaking you can start with planting and harvesting as soon as you have the LotL level you expect to have until the end of the game. No matter how many seeds you have at the moment. Just don't use any produce for anything else than seed-production until you have the number of seeds you finally want.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

I have found a bug about harvesting crops where it only returns 1 seed, it only occurs under very specific conditions, which I reported here:

Basically if you harvest with fists and it's the same slot that you originally planted the seeds with, and keep holding down left click (for nonstop punching), the bug will occur. The seeds show as being received on the bottom right corner but you don't actually get anything until you stop punching (and when you do, only 1 seed is given)

I have stopped using fists and for things like super corn/corn, auger is amazing at harvesting fast.

Edited by NekoPawtato (see edit history)

5 hours ago, JCrook1028 said:

So, have you tried NOT holding down the button and instead clicking each plant? I use a knife myself for harvest.

Too tedious for me (had a 350 plot farm at one point) and I also found it faster to switch to knife or steel knuckles for the 1 block high plants, and auger for taller plants 

Edited by NekoPawtato (see edit history)

On 9/11/2022 at 8:43 PM, meganoth said:

That used to be a common bug when using the C languages RAND function (before the Mersenne Twister algorithm became common).

RAND was just a list of numbers, so if you just called RAND you would start at the same position and get the same sequence of numbers each run.

The fix was that before you called RAND you called SRAND function with a different value (epoch seconds / CPU tick count) to make sure you started at a different positon.

Edited by FinkPloyd
typo (see edit history)

Thank you for the responses.  When I play a solo game I have always did 7 plots and the yields from every plant type on average is 3.   And like I said before, all other crops are getting that average except corn and super corn.  Also I always go for 3/3 Living off the Land for max yields with the new crop changes.

Currently been busy with Divinity O Sin 2 with a friend so I haven't revisited my 7dtd run.  I have expanded the plots to 10 pre plant but added 2 rows for corn since my yields are off and I have too many potatoes 😕   I shouldn't need 2 rows of corn to keep up with 1 row of potatoes imo.   I have to return to my run and give you the results soon.

I was hoping anyone else had a similar problem ?

I may just restart a new game later, it could be an isolated bug ?

Edited by Ripflex (see edit history)