64k map A20

selissi

I don't think they support 64k maps.  Largest map size supported by RWG is 10k.  I believe (but someone with more experience can correct me) that you will run into issues trying to generate a 64k map with the RWG.  A third party map builder might work, but I don't typically use them so I don't have any experience of them for A20.

9 minutes ago, selissi said:

They don't but I've seen many servers running A20 with 64k map. So there must be some kind of too.

as pointed out, we do not support anything higher then the 10k map.

through normal methods you cant generate a 64k map. so chances are they use a 3rd party program or modded the config to allow it.

if you see a server that has such, then you need to contact them and good luck with getting the info you expected.

seriously the best place is for you to take this up in the Modding Section of the forum instead of general discussion and general support.

there might be someone there to help you. good luck :)

Edited by unholyjoe (see edit history)

1 hour ago, selissi said:

They don't but I've seen many servers running A20 with 64k map. So there must be some kind of too.

Just a FYI

Nitrogen is not supported anymore so I don't think it supports the new tile system in random generation.

KingGen was setup to use the new tile system in A20, but I don't think it is being maintained anymore - but I could be wrong

Soon, a new 3rd party map generation program will be available

64K Maps? How much RAM do you need for that? The answer is "Yes". I think @selissi is confusing max number of players with map size.

And a public server with a 64K map? I mean sure someone might have a machine standing around with a ton of RAM to host a server, but many? Renting a server with enough RAM is gonna cost a fortune.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

12 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

Largest map size supported by RWG is 10k.

Supported. There is a modlet that expands the list up to 15k and those maps seem to work find on my computer, playing solo or testing POIs and RWG.

13 minutes ago, Maharin said:

18,446,744,073,709,551,616 bytes of physical RAM ought to be enough.

Heh, after the 75 minutes of map generation time.

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

31 minutes ago, zztong said:

Supported. There is a modlet that expands the list up to 15k and those maps seem to work find on my computer, playing solo or testing POIs and RWG.

yep but the key word is "supported" as far as TFP goes that is.  :)

i am sure people have gone over the supported limit and had no issues.

and i bet it takes far more then 75 minutes to compile a 64k. :) if its possible.

14 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

64K Maps? How much RAM do you need for that? The answer is "Yes". I think @selissi is confusing max number of players with map size.

And a public server with a 64K map? I mean sure someone might have a machine standing around with a ton of RAM to host a server, but many? Renting a server with enough RAM is gonna cost a fortune.

Not confusing anything. I'm hosting a multiple games for my friends and I do have tones of RAM :)

6 hours ago, Pille said:

Every time someone mentions maps larger than 16K, Alloc's statement comes to my mind: "should not work at all due to unity limitations on texture sizes". Things may have changed since 2019, though I doubt it.

nature of the BEAST (loosely speaking about humans), any game or program with limitations is automatically targeted and someone will find ways to circumvent them and prove they can do more/bigger. there is limitations in how servers will run with large maps and thats why we only support 6,8 and 10k maps. can they make bigger.. yes and i do not know just how big now.

can we stop it... i doubt it and not worth trying. better things to worry about and to do. :)

Edited by unholyjoe (see edit history)

I have had 16K Maps running fine for my machine. 12K runs on most PC´s that aren´t a potato.

@Pille, so 10K will be the limit in teragon aswell?

@unholyjoe Why even trying to stop it? Everyone dealing with 3rd party software should be aware that things can go south regarding performance. That´s mod knowledge 101.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly 16k maps are hard on any client machine ram usage also.  I have found (having run quite a few 16k maps in the past) that a lot of people simply don't have enough ram to run the larger maps.   Some folks simply give up while waiting for it to push down from the server (evident by so many abandoned accounts that never made in).  10k pregen is all I run now days but as soon as the Teragon becomes available I may use it to generate a 12K.  Much more than that and the longer term players in my community starts to have trouble with it.

SIDE NOTE: I run them on a Linux server with 128 gigs of RAM.  I don't generate them on the linux server.  I generate on the windows client and then upload them to my linux server using WinSCP. 

Edited by morggin
additional info added. (see edit history)