Instead of turning to attack me, the dire wolf impaled itself on the iron spikes I had around my base.

ElCabong

I've had quite a few zombies recently do something like that.  They get within striking distance of me, turn away, and then proceed to beat the hell out of a lamp post or some other inanimate object.  It's possible the critters and zombies have all sampled some stash of Prozac from the old world.

33 minutes ago, unholyjoe said:

those are our internal testers, they were testing the damage and stability of the spikes. they also proved that they do see the traps and not ignore them anymore. :)

Good to know.

I suspect the coyote was harassing the saguaro for trying to impersonate a yucca though. Prickly subject ,but a howling good thing to watch. 🐺

3 hours ago, Maharin said:

They get within striking distance of me, turn away, and then proceed to beat the hell out of a lamp post or some other inanimate object.

They do that quite a bit; sometimes I'm pretty sure it was about something silly, like jumping with max parkour. You're three meters in the air, so there's no path to you => destroyArea, find the nearest thing at face height and eat that. Only happens sporadically as the zeds aren't re-pathing every moment.

Sometimes I can't come up with a reason, but I still assume it's some sort of a path issue, just not obvious.

26 minutes ago, theFlu said:

They do that quite a bit; sometimes I'm pretty sure it was about something silly, like jumping with max parkour. You're three meters in the air, so there's no path to you => destroyArea, find the nearest thing at face height and eat that. Only happens sporadically as the zeds aren't re-pathing every moment.

Sometimes I can't come up with a reason, but I still assume it's some sort of a path issue, just not obvious.

I can see a path issue being the cause of this but in this case I was 10 ft in front the direwolf and there was nothing between me and it

3 hours ago, Maharin said:

I've had quite a few zombies recently do something like that.  They get within striking distance of me, turn away, and then proceed to beat the hell out of a lamp post or some other inanimate object.  It's possible the critters and zombies have all sampled some stash of Prozac from the old world.

That makes sense. they got a hold of some fentanyl. 

Just now, ElCabong said:

I can see a path issue being the cause of this but in this case I was 10 ft in front the direwolf and there was nothing between me and it

Yeh, it happens pretty inexplicably as well.

Then again it's running on a deterministic machine doing _exactly_ as it's told, so there's always a reason. Maybe a chunk border, maybe some process like an SI calc making the path decision take too long, maybe the movement AI thought it should've "landed already" and since it didn't it felt like it failed.

Or maybe it was just trying to play fetch with the nearest stick. :)

Yup, AI seems a bit weird atm. We were standing in a garage, dropping things for each other and a feral wight ran in our direction. 2 blocks before he reached my buddy he took a sharp left turn and attacked a pillar. It wasn´t dark, and we didn´t crouch.

It was actually like when he came near and saw our weapons and armor that he deceided that it was safer for him to attack that pillar.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

I’ve always felt that there should be two sets of AI. The sporadic variable pathing among zombies for horde night so they all don’t just do the same exact thing and the single-minded relentless terminator AI for the rest of the week like we had in A17.  

There is something weird with AI right now with crouching aswell. Even in the middle of a street during the day, just crouching down makes them loose you and they are within 20 blocks. Even with the stealth meter at 100. That does happen a lot.

The other described example with not crouching and them simply deceiding they don´t see you after running towards you, also did happen more than once, just not as often as when crouched.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

And wink :).

That would be a WTF?

Unrelated a few BMs ago I walk past garage where I had made my fight at the antenna tower next to it.  Anyways, one of the yellow shirt schizo teen Z is frozen in mid air jump like  Karate kid pose almost.   I figure prahix glitch, probably need to restart, but I keep walking  by it and notice his head is following me.  Freaked me out, so I popped it is head off, then rebooted  the game.