Epic Online Services Login Failure

Kosmic Kerman

When I started 7dtd this morning, I go the following error message: Could not fully initialize Epic Online Services: Not able to get login ticket from your platform.  This is a new error message to me.   All I want to do is to play a single player game.  The "Play Offline" button is greyed out and cannot be clicked. I'm on A20.5 (b2). The retry button did not fix the problem What gives here?

Update - I exited and restarted and everything seems to be fine now.

P.S. As someone who has exclusively played Single Player since A15, I am not a big fan of seeing an error message about Server/Multiplayer problems that locks me out of the game.  

Edited by Kosmic Kerman (see edit history)

Just for anyone else visiting this running into the same issue. This type of thing is usually from one of two causes. The first being that it is blocked by security software because you did not exclude the client like you are supposed to. The second is just bad DNS records. Windows isn't great at managing the DNS stack, and just sitting on the server selection screen for five minutes can be enough to overload it. Often when you face an issue like this, just flush the DNS stack by running "ipconfig /flushdns" from the command prompt or reboot the system. 

Epic Online Services, which is different than Epic Games, was put into A20 to support cross platform play.

7 minutes ago, Melange said:

@SylenThunderGood to know. I had the same issue and about at the same time too. A reboot fixed it. I use Steam (which has its own problems here behind the Great Firewall). Only recently have I been seeing Epic errors. How did Epic get a hook in this game? And why?

13 hours ago, Melange said:

@SylenThunderGood to know. I had the same issue and about at the same time too. A reboot fixed it. I use Steam (which has its own problems here behind the Great Firewall). Only recently have I been seeing Epic errors. How did Epic get a hook in this game? And why?

EAC is an Epic service. 

Also as Start69 stated, EoS was added in a20 to support cross-platform play. Something Steam could have offered for years, but won't.

• 5 months later...

in my case this appeared because of having an ipv6 only APN from telekom. 
The Epic online services sends an api request, and because of my ipv6-only connection the reply was never received. swapping internet.v6.telekom to internet.telekom fixed it.

I hope this helps someone, this prevented me from playing the game online for more than half a year.

• 1 year later...

Did anyone ever find a fix for this issue? I've tried everything including completely uninstalling and reinstalling the game. I've tried adding exceptions for everything in firewall, disabling firewall, etc.... Why did you break my game so that I can no longer play it online like I want to? The only option it gives me is to play offline. Log file shows successful EOS handshake but then unable to connect to it.

Mono path[0] = 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/7 Days To Die/7Day - Pastebin.com

Edited by SylenThunder
Corrected log because poster cannot follow instructions. (see edit history)

Basic troubleshooting for EoS.

1. Ensure your local clock is synced correctly for your local time. 

• Right-Click on the Time in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
  • Select Adjust Date/Time.
  • Turn on the Set Time Automatically button.
  • Click the Sync Now button.

2. Use a public DNS.

3. Make sure you aren't using any proxy servers.

4. Clear your cache.

5. Ensure Windows is updated and on a Stable version. Using insider builds will create issues.

6. Flush your DNS.

Also curious, what exactly did you do when "adding exceptions for everything"?

39 minutes ago, SylenThunder said:

Basic troubleshooting for EoS.

1. Ensure your local clock is synced correctly for your local time. 

• Right-Click on the Time in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
  • Select Adjust Date/Time.
  • Turn on the Set Time Automatically button.
  • Click the Sync Now button.

2. Use a public DNS.

3. Make sure you aren't using any proxy servers.

4. Clear your cache.

5. Ensure Windows is updated and on a Stable version. Using insider builds will create issues.

6. Flush your DNS.

Also curious, what exactly did you do when "adding exceptions for everything"?

Those DNS settings are invalid and do not validate upon changing them to those values. I reverted to Cloudflare DNS settings (1.1.1.1, etc...) I have tried adding exceptions in my firewall for all the different 7d2d launchers, and tried disabling my firewall entirely, nothing works.

2 hours ago, NewGuy said:

Those DNS settings are invalid and do not validate upon changing them to those values. I reverted to Cloudflare DNS settings (1.1.1.1, etc...) I have tried adding exceptions in my firewall for all the different 7d2d launchers, and tried disabling my firewall entirely, nothing works.

So you did not exclude your client and save folders from security software then, and it could be blocking access as well.

Not sure why you could not use Google DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. That is very unusual unless for some reason they are blocked by your ISP, or by the network administrator. 
More information on your network/internet configuration could prove to be helpful.

I have no security software blocking access to the client and save folders. I can ping those Google DNS ip's, but when trying to use them in my internet options, they failed to validate. This is of no consequence because I distrust and hate google anyway, so I would not have used their DNS even if it was the only working solution to get this game working again. I tried a solution I found elsewhere which involves editing platform.cfg to remove anything other than Steam. This allows me to see a server list now, but I can't join servers running EAC, and I can't join other non-EAC servers because it throws an error due to the changes I made to platform.cfg.

The game used to work just fine, I could play online. Now the devs throw in all this crossplatform and Epic bs and it's all broken now. 10 years of them fixing things that aren't broken and breaking lots of things in the process.

Update: I have no idea what fixed it, but I just tried to login to a MP game server and it worked! The server had EAC enabled and no password required, and it let me join. I messed around with some things last night and the last thing I remember doing was reverting back to the original platform.cfg file by validating my game files in Steam and it replaced one file, likely the platform.cfg file because I just checked it and it has the default settings again. Who knows, maybe the EOS servers were just having issues yesterday and are fine today.

• 4 weeks later...

I have now tried at least THIRTEEN FIXES and none of them work what so ever. This is getting insane, epic online services need to sort their @%$# out becuase i'm done doint their job for them. spent a full 40 hours working on this bug following guides. Here's what I've tried and STILL UNABLE TO CONNECT:

1) Disable Firewall Completely

2) Disable IPv6 while IPv4 enabled, and the opposite next

3) Change IPv4 DNS Server address to 8.8.8.8 , 8.8.4.4

4) Reinstall 7D2D, Steam, Epic Launcher and EOS, EVEN MY ENTIRE WINDOWS OS

5) FLUSH DNS

6) Change network from public to private

7) Create inbound rule through firewall to open specified ports for forwarding

8.) Verify Integrity of game files

9) Verify no proxy server enabled

10) Unplugging/Resetting Modem

11) Graphics Cards Up to Date

12) Ensure Local Clock Synched

......like what else is there to even try at this point. completely destroyed this game for me and created so far 4 weeks of wasted evenings doing their job for them. Absolute insanity...

1 hour ago, Beksinski said:

I have now tried at least THIRTEEN FIXES and none of them work what so ever. This is getting insane, epic online services need to sort their @%$# out becuase i'm done doint their job for them. spent a full 40 hours working on this bug following guides. Here's what I've tried and STILL UNABLE TO CONNECT:

1) Disable Firewall Completely

2) Disable IPv6 while IPv4 enabled, and the opposite next

3) Change IPv4 DNS Server address to 8.8.8.8 , 8.8.4.4

4) Reinstall 7D2D, Steam, Epic Launcher and EOS, EVEN MY ENTIRE WINDOWS OS

5) FLUSH DNS

6) Change network from public to private

7) Create inbound rule through firewall to open specified ports for forwarding

8.) Verify Integrity of game files

9) Verify no proxy server enabled

10) Unplugging/Resetting Modem

11) Graphics Cards Up to Date

12) Ensure Local Clock Synched

......like what else is there to even try at this point. completely destroyed this game for me and created so far 4 weeks of wasted evenings doing their job for them. Absolute insanity...

*It may be a Steam <--> EOS issue with naming or formatting? I also cannot connect to EOS when i launch the epic launcher to try to connect and finish installing it. For some reason my computer is now unable to use EOS. I have a screen cap saved of what the CMD output says if i run EOS as admin and it says something like:

Logs dir contains a file {EpicOnlineServicesHost.err.log} that does not match our naming template! does that for .err.log, .out.log. , .wrapper.log

@Beelzybub thanks, but this did not work either :x I added exclusions for:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die   &&    C:\Users ; because i don't have a Userdata folder I can find so I assumed that's an equivalent?

Out of the group i play with i think i'm the only one that has a history going back years of having an Epic Account && a Steam account. Maybe their name encoding match communication they use to handle exclusively steam users aren't matching up. When i ran EOS as admin it output some command line and said something about names not matching their template?

I also tried detaching my steam account but that had no effect either so i retied it

@SylenThunder Do you know if there's anything else I can try?

16 minutes ago, Beksinski said:

Do you know if there's anything else I can try?

The only other thing I can think of would be to install the revocation certificate from here. The downloaded r2m02.crl file must be installed (right-click on the file) by selecting Place all certificates in the following store and selecting Trusted Root Certification Authorities. A system restart may be needed.

I normally only need to use this fix for getting servers to appear in the server list.

22 minutes ago, Beksinski said:

because i don't have a Userdata folder I can find

Mine is "C:\Users\sylen\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie" Yours will be similar. Do note that the AppData folder is hidden, so you will need to enable viewing hidden files and folders.

@SylenThunder 

I tried the exceptions to the AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie but didn't work. I will work on the revocation certificate. But Also, Here's some small sections of the output log where i saw fails or errors after it gets to the menu where it fails to connect via EOS. ONE THING IS EOS SAYING NOT JSON/error from backend?? These might be insightful to more skilled eyes: (i had to redact some heading numbers on each line so forum didn't think was spam)

INF GameSense server not found (no props file), disabling
 INF [PartyQuests] Initialized
 INF Awake done in 714 ms
INF [XUi] Instantiating XUi from default prefab.
 INF [XUi] XUi instantiation completed in 7 ms
 INF [XUi] Loading XUi asynchronously
INF Updated culture for display texts
WRN [EOS] [LogEOS - Warning] Error response received from backend. Response is not JSON. ServiceName=[SDKConfig], OperationName=[GetPlatformConfigRoute], Url=[<Redacted>], HttpStatus=[403], CorrId=[]
 WRN [EOS] [LogEOS - Warning] SDK Config Platform Update Request Failed, Result Code: EOS_UnrecognizedResponse, Retrying after 3.425397 seconds
INF [XUi] Parsing all window groups completed in 378 ms total.
INF Reloading serveradmin.xml
 INF Loading permissions file at 'C:\Users\rowec\AppData\Roaming/7DaysToDie/Saves/serveradmin.xml'
 INF Permissions file unchanged, skipping reloading
Couldn't create a Convex Mesh from source mesh "Head" within the maximum polygons limit (256). The partial hull will be used. Consider simplifying your mesh.
 INF [XUi] Initialized all window groups completed in 404 ms total.
INF LoadTextureArraysForQuality quality -1 to 0, reload False
 WRN [EOS] [LogEOS - Warning] Error response received from backend. Response is not JSON. ServiceName=[SDKConfig], OperationName=[GetPlatformConfigRoute], Url=[<Redacted>], HttpStatus=[403], CorrId=[]
 WRN [EOS] [LogEOS - Warning] SDK Config Platform Update Request Failed, Result Code: EOS_UnrecognizedResponse, Retrying after 4.821192 seconds
INF LoadTextureArraysForQuality took 4.096
INF Loaded (local): rwgmixer in 0.03
INF Loaded (local): archetypes in 0.04
INF Loaded (local): loadingscreen in 0.02
 INF WorldStaticData.Init() needed 5.000s
INF [Steamworks.NET] Login ok.
 INF [EOS] Login
INF AchievementManager: Received stats and achievements from Steam
 INF [EOS] Connection test failed: The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden.
 INF Preparing quit
INF Persistent GamePrefs saved
INF Cleanup
5 WRN [EOS] [LogEOS - Warning] SDK Config Platform Update Request Failed, Result Code: EOS_UnrecognizedResponse, Retrying after 10.553789 seconds
INF AchievementManager.Cleanup
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Platform.EOS.RemoteFileStorage.get_IsReady () [0x0000b] in <a58aca9c8ed54d639b41f6dc2ac2f31b>:0
  at XUiC_NewsWindow+<retrieveNews>d__15.MoveNext () [0x00062] in <a58aca9c8ed54d639b41f6dc2ac2f31b>:0
  at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) [0x00026] in <4bba812690714c578170328b4ec178d0>:0

I think that log is saying it's trying to request info from EOS, and instead of getting a JSON response back you got an HTTP code status of 403 instead.

I found a similar issue here for a different game https://www.reddit.com/r/SatisfactoryGame/comments/l2hyod/cant_log_into_multiplayer_error_on_startup/

Seems to indicate IP ban or rate limiting from Epic? Try going to the API link in the comments and see if it gives you a 403 error there or if it gives you a JSON

Edited by NekoPawtato (see edit history)