Hunting Rifle Scope Nonsense

Z3R0 RefleX

The Hunting Rifle Scope in 7 Days to Die makes no sense and ruins the look of the gun..

I last played this game before recently when Alpha 18 was out and haven't played since until this week. Upon re-downloading the game I started a new survival world in Alpha 20.5 and made some fair progression, and I noticed that all the gun models had changed along with a new weapon tier. I do not object to the new models at all, but the sight equipment on them drives me nuts.

Most guns when you equip a red dot or a scope have a reasonable and believable variation of the scope to fit the gun and make it look like it was made for said gun, but the 2-8x scope on the Hunting Rifle is just ridiculous.

There is a perfectly normal hunting rifle-spec scope sitting on top of the gun which would look good on its own and be believably made for the gun, but the fact that there is a hideous soup can tied into the scope with string seemingly serving no purpose makes it the worst eyesore to come out of this game that I've seen. Where as other guns of this tier get normal scopes such as the Russian looking scope on the AK47 Machine Gun and the EOTECH Holographic sight on the Pump Shotgun, so why try to make this one look especially hand made and ruin it? Is it realistic to think that players would be more likely to find an EOTECH military-grade weapon optic than a basic hunting rifle scope?

This ruined the gun's scope for me and I run iron sights on the gun now since it looks great on its own and the fixed zoom sensitivity means I can still hit my shots on animals from long range with 1x sights, but it would be great to be able to use the scope without making my gun harder to look at than a Logan Paul YouTube video.

Has anyone else noticed this? And if so do you agree? 

The hunting rifle has for a long time been one of my favorite weapons in the game and one I always thought was cool, but why ruin its look with this goofy scope mod just to look unique.

In a world where the dead walk, police spit litres of radioactive goo, and you can craft your own gyrocopter and rocket launcher, I think some people get a little too hung up on whether their scope is military or soup can.

To be honest, I had never even noticed. But I am not a gun nut.

13 hours ago, Pernicious said:

In a world where the dead walk, police spit litres of radioactive goo, and you can craft your own gyrocopter and rocket launcher, I think some people get a little too hung up on whether their scope is military or soup can.

To be honest, I had never even noticed. But I am not a gun nut.

Your point is exactly why there should be a decent hunting rifle scope in the game, you can do all these amazing things in a world with exotic enemies where survivors have incredible technological capabilities and scavenging luck, and yet they craft the most terrible eyesore of a scope for one of the most primitive rifles in the game. I think its the fact that you are as you say "not a gun nut" that makes it hard for you to understand where I'm coming from.

10 hours ago, Z3R0 RefleX said:

I think its the fact that you are as you say "not a gun nut" that makes it hard for you to understand where I'm coming from.

Yes, it is. But it is also the fact that this is a post apocalyptic survival game that makes me feel like the Eotech holoscope is the one out of place, not the soup can scope. 

I'm fairly good at mechanics and jerry rigging. If the same thing happened in Sydney and I was left. I'm 99% sure I could build a couple motorcycles out of my lawn mower  and hedge trimmer and my wife's and my push bike. But it wouldn't look like a Harley Davidson or a Hayabusa. 

I could probably 3d print adjustable sights with no magnifying capability. Or possibly adapt one of my old SLR lenses for a magnifying scope, but it wouldn't be a holoscope. 

But really, either way, I wouldn't care if they introduced an M4 in the game and it looked a Steyr AUG that fired 7.62. (I only know that almost all guns used by NATO militaries use 5.56 because of editorials on Finland and Sweden joining NATO and their hardware being compatible is a thing) That kind of detail doesn't bother me, and I would guess wouldn't bother most people. Accuracy is nice, but for most of us, as long as the game is balanced and enjoyable, we don't notice.

Edited by Pernicious (see edit history)

On 5/29/2022 at 9:47 AM, Ramethzer0 said:

It is pretty hideous looking.

They should really keep the tin can variations for pipe weapon.
By the time you can craft a working SMG surely you should be able to craft a decent-looking silencer.  And this goes for all weapons / mod combinations.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2022 at 10:34 AM, ElCabong said:

The idea here is to make something that looks primitive and improvised and literally put together with chewing gum and duct tape. Something primitive that you ditch for something better as soon as you can. 

Let me put my two cents here regarding this.

Fallout 4 tried this and made the worst possible firearm settings in a Fallout game ever; they managed to make guns inverted (bolts on the left side, ejecting on right, SOMEHOW), makeshift scopes made of nails on sides, .38 Special and .308 guns look exactly the same, when they're makeshift and one caliber has triple the pressure of the other, and what is worst of all, when you upgrade your guns, they don't start to look "normal", they appear even MORE jury-rigged than before.

The Pimps take this to a whole new level. The level of jury-rigging of the weapons is just obscene, and it makes sense to a certain level, but it gives no options for the players to actually use something that looks "used", but "normal". There are many things the pimps could focus on to improve their game, and its obvious that they should have focused on guns and weapons earlier, instead of trees and animal fur.

3 hours ago, Razzoriel said:

Let me put my two cents here regarding this.

Fallout 4 tried this and made the worst possible firearm settings in a Fallout game ever; they managed to make guns inverted (bolts on the left side, ejecting on right, SOMEHOW), makeshift scopes made of nails on sides, .38 Special and .308 guns look exactly the same, when they're makeshift and one caliber has triple the pressure of the other, and what is worst of all, when you upgrade your guns, they don't start to look "normal", they appear even MORE jury-rigged than before.

The Pimps take this to a whole new level. The level of jury-rigging of the weapons is just obscene, and it makes sense to a certain level, but it gives no options for the players to actually use something that looks "used", but "normal". There are many things the pimps could focus on to improve their game, and its obvious that they should have focused on guns and weapons earlier, instead of trees and animal fur.

You're right about the firearms in Fallout. I can add a few things to the list. Now that M$ owns it, things will improve. I'm sure