Console and PC edition coming to XBOX Game Pass

Roland

6BCF754B-D091-4B75-A5CD-706F4D736131.png

If you have seen this announcement please be aware that it is not a new version or an updated version of the console edition. It is the same console version that has always existed. However, now the PC version will be available through their store as well so that Steam won't be the only way to purchase or play the game.

In the future, when a new console version is released, it will have parity with the PC version and cross platform play will be possible.

16 hours ago, Master Astolfo said:

My excitement just went from 100% to 0%.

The never ending wait for an updated console version continues. :'(

Same.  As soon as I heard the Gamepass news I came here to check the forums (first time in years).

Sorry. Remember for the sake of future expectations that the updated console version will not come out before the PC version has been completed. Until the news is released that PC is finished, any announced release of a console version is going to be the original version.

About a year ago I decided to buy an XBox Series S due to the current graphics card prices. My goal was to be able to play coop games with a friend that visits me frequently and said XBox plus one Game Pass (which works for my PC and my XBox at the same time) was way cheaper than building a second PC. While that provided us with more games to play than we ever will have time for, it came with the downside of 7 Days to Die not being on of them (as well as Raft). Which is quite a bummer, because I really love 7 Days to Die and it is the game I'd love to play with my friend the most.

Now we have that announcement that was quite a welcoming surprise to me. Though I expected it to be the old console edition, so I didn't get my hopes up too much and decided to check the forums first. Well, thank you a lot Roland for this clarifying thread, I appreciate it a lot. But it makes me question, assuming the PC version will be done at some point and TFP decide to do a console version, what's the situation then regarding the Game Pass? What I mean is: The contract that allows Microsoft to put 7dtd on the Game Pass, is that a contract between Telltale Games and Microsoft, or between TFP and MS, now that Telltale is gone?
If it's the former, I assume there will be new negotiations happen between TFP and MS? And if it's the latter, is there a chance that it will simply be updated (assuming it's still on the Game Pass by then)?

I'm well aware that there is a high likelyhood that it either wasn't discussed yet or there aren't any decisions made or those decisions aren't supposed to be public yet. So, if all you can say is:"Who is to say?", then that's how it is. But as I preempted, I'm very looking forward to being able to play it with my friend (who doesn't have a PC), so I guess nobody would be hurt by asking.

I guess, to make it more simple: What's TFP thoughts on the Game Pass in general?

On 4/19/2022 at 4:41 PM, Roland said:

In the future, when a new console version is released

That's the only word that matters. And hey the old console version was still a blast, bugs and all. As a GPU subscriber I'll be thrilled when I can play on laptop or Xbox, same version, with crossplay. Did Roland mention crossplay? No he did not. A boy can dream. Reading is fundamental.

28 minutes ago, Boidster said:

That's the only word that matters. And hey the old console version was still a blast, bugs and all. As a GPU subscriber I'll be thrilled when I can play on laptop or Xbox, same version, with crossplay. Did Roland mention crossplay? No he did not. A boy can dream.

He did say at the end  at least once it is updated in another year or whatever it might be.

17 hours ago, Jihh said:

About a year ago I decided to buy an XBox Series S due to the current graphics card prices. My goal was to be able to play coop games with a friend that visits me frequently and said XBox plus one Game Pass (which works for my PC and my XBox at the same time) was way cheaper than building a second PC. While that provided us with more games to play than we ever will have time for, it came with the downside of 7 Days to Die not being on of them (as well as Raft). Which is quite a bummer, because I really love 7 Days to Die and it is the game I'd love to play with my friend the most.

Now we have that announcement that was quite a welcoming surprise to me. Though I expected it to be the old console edition, so I didn't get my hopes up too much and decided to check the forums first. Well, thank you a lot Roland for this clarifying thread, I appreciate it a lot. But it makes me question, assuming the PC version will be done at some point and TFP decide to do a console version, what's the situation then regarding the Game Pass? What I mean is: The contract that allows Microsoft to put 7dtd on the Game Pass, is that a contract between Telltale Games and Microsoft, or between TFP and MS, now that Telltale is gone?
If it's the former, I assume there will be new negotiations happen between TFP and MS? And if it's the latter, is there a chance that it will simply be updated (assuming it's still on the Game Pass by then)?

I'm well aware that there is a high likelyhood that it either wasn't discussed yet or there aren't any decisions made or those decisions aren't supposed to be public yet. So, if all you can say is:"Who is to say?", then that's how it is. But as I preempted, I'm very looking forward to being able to play it with my friend (who doesn't have a PC), so I guess nobody would be hurt by asking.

I guess, to make it more simple: What's TFP thoughts on the Game Pass in general?

Current information we simple forum users have is that TFP owns the IP of the old console version (but not the source code). But there is a chance that the publisher who is porting the finished game to the consoles already has licenced rights to the console versions, maybe even to the old one as well.

That would mean that any new uses of the old console version (like putting it into the xbox pass) would have to have gone either through TFP or the publisher licenced to do the porting.

19 hours ago, Jihh said:

These are great questions for which I have no answers yet. As I stated, at this time, TFP is mostly interested in the additional exposure for the PC version.

So I have a question for clarification sake, in the news and announcement post you mention that they believe they can pull off a back port to older consoles as well as a port to the new ones, would this be as a new game or done as an update? I've kept my physical disc so if it's done as an update I wouldn't need to buy the game again. 

3 hours ago, Ralco said:

So I have a question for clarification sake, in the news and announcement post you mention that they believe they can pull off a back port to older consoles as well as a port to the new ones, would this be as a new game or done as an update? I've kept my physical disc so if it's done as an update I wouldn't need to buy the game again. 

As the new game. The current game version cannot be updated. Period.

They may work out some kind of discount for existing owners, but that would be extremely difficult to track. Especially for those who purchased physical copies.

Archived