Please please add an auto run key

Heafus

If you didn't get a bicycle by day 2 in this game, the lack of auto-run might have killed the game for me.  I can't stand games that make you move slowly or limit your ability to move quickly by not having an auto-run.  Spending a ton of time getting from point A to point B is not fun gameplay for me and serves no purpose other than to make the game take longer to play.  Thankfully, you do get a bicycle quickly and can move to minibike or motorcycle not too long after, so it isn't a game killer for me.  Even so, I think that an auto-run feature is needed as well.

I'd also like to see not just auto-run (toggle between run and walk), but the ability to continue running/moving without touching the keyboard.  I've heard someone mention that the lack has something to do with the possibility of running into things or dying (might even have been a year ago in this thread when it was posted), but that's true in basically any game that has the feature.  I don't care if I might crash or even die.  My interest isn't in starting to move and leaving to come back later.  It is in starting to move and then not have to hold the key and just occasionally changing direction as I go.  This would be especially nice in the gyrocopter.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

@Riamus Auto run doesn´t mean unlimited stamina. You wil still have to manage that. Not getting a bicycle and having auto run wouldn´t change how fast you can move from A to B. 

For me it´s purely because having to press shift all the time is highly uncomfortable and even painfull at times when having to fly or drive a long distance.

36 minutes ago, Riamus said:

If you didn't get a bicycle by day 2 in this game, the lack of auto-run might have killed the game for me.  I can't stand games that make you move slowly or limit your ability to move quickly by not having an auto-run.  Spending a ton of time getting from point A to point B is not fun gameplay for me and serves no purpose other than to make the game take longer to play.  Thankfully, you do get a bicycle quickly and can move to minibike or motorcycle not too long after, so it isn't a game killer for me.  Even so, I think that an auto-run feature is needed as well.

I'd also like to see not just auto-run (toggle between run and walk), but the ability to continue running/moving without touching the keyboard.  I've heard someone mention that the lack has something to do with the possibility of running into things or dying (might even have been a year ago in this thread when it was posted), but that's true in basically any game that has the feature.  I don't care if I might crash or even die.  My interest isn't in starting to move and leaving to come back later.  It is in starting to move and then not have to hold the key and just occasionally changing direction as I go.  This would be especially nice in the gyrocopter.

Gyrocopter auto pilot. Yeah that would be cool. I would just settle for altitude leveling. I sometime go slow up or slow down but I never achieve stable level flight. Sometimes it bugs me when I am making a large trek on the gyrocopter, and when it gets dark or really foggy and I cannot even see the altitude setting on the top right because the text blends in with the sky on the compass area, and I descend or clime way too high. There is no way to travel safely without auto leveling during this. I do not remember what it is actuality called in flights sims but unless you are playing ultra realistic on your sim, they usually have a leveling command.

I am torn with the option to add roll to the gyrocopter via the mouse because it would make flying way easier but you would not have freelook to look down and see what your flying over.

Edited by bobrpggamer (see edit history)

1 minute ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

@Riamus Auto run doesn´t mean unlimited stamina. You wil still have to manage that. Not getting a bicycle and having auto run wouldn´t change how fast you can move from A to B. 

For me it´s purely because having to press shift all the time is highly uncomfortable and even painfull at times when having to fly or drive a long distance.

That is the reason I swapped the Q key for the shift for run. So much easier to use Q and W for running with my ring and middle fingers than trying to use shift and W.

My keys are Tab for inventory (pinky), Q for run (ring), W for walk (middle), E for actions (index). Can use them all without moving my left hand or taking right off the mouse.

And index finger is still next to R for reload...although I still get that beautiful click noise when I try to shoot a zombie that is up in my face sometime...ok a lot of the time :D

@Gamida If we were talking about anything else than sprint, simply rebinding the key would be the easy solution. Also putting this on Q means i can´t press sprint and left at the same time without an akward position of the finger. But as literally every game uses shift for that, it would be a real pain to retrain that every time i come back to the game and every time i switch to another game. And no, because of one game i don´t wanna have to rebind every other game.

I really don´t see the big deal of adding this as an option. No need to make this a default.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

1 hour ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

@Gamida If we were talking about anything else than sprint, simply rebinding the key would be the easy solution. Also putting this on Q means i can´t press sprint and left at the same time without an akward position of the finger. But as literally every game uses shift for that, it would be a real pain to retrain that every time i come back to the game and every time i switch to another game. And no, because of one game i don´t wanna have to rebind every other game.

I really don´t see the big deal of adding this as an option. No need to make this a default.

I was just mentioning what I did to overcome the need for a autorun, I know it won't work for everyone. I don't understand the part about part about pressing Q means you can't press sprint and left at same time? Do you mean as in strafing as in running while moving sidwways to left? If so yeah I know what you mean. I don't strafe so it doesn't affect me as I just use the mouse to turn and face where I am wanting to go. I also bind my Q key to run in my other games lol. Not that many so not that big a deal for me.

Well if they ever do add autorunning, I am sure I will just bind that to the Q key also :)

5 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

I don't need it for running or even bicycle as I don't travel far until I have decent transportation.  Once I have a minibike at the very least, that is when it becomes useful as I'll travel far more.

"If" you didn't get a bicycle early, then it would have been a problem without it.  I would have wanted to use it even without having stamina afterwards just to avoid holding the key nonstop.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

22 hours ago, FridayPie said:

Autorepeating options often are considered a cheat feature. _Certain_ AAA companies ban just on detection of software for keyboard that is capable.

I've never come across a game which banned keyboard macros. Even if there was one, how would they detect it if I switched to hardware only mode? I use my laptop to program the macros, then move the keyboard to my gaming PC and the electrical signals that come from my keyboard are no different to if I pressed them myself.

Sure, they could infer that no human would be logged on and playing for 48 hours straight, but that's a different matter entirely. 

look.. i found a couple pennies..

I did this:

<set xpath="/vehicles/vehicle[@name='vehicleMotorcycle']/property[@name='velocityMax']/@value">14,9</set>

because I got tired of holding down the go fast button..

maybe that can translate to walk/sprint somehow..

1 hour ago, 12pack said:

look.. i found a couple pennies..

I did this:

<set xpath="/vehicles/vehicle[@name='vehicleMotorcycle']/property[@name='velocityMax']/@value">14,9</set>

because I got tired of holding down the go fast button..

maybe that can translate to walk/sprint somehow..

Looks as if you switched the places of the 14 and 9 so default is run and now what was run is the walk speed. That would indeed work buuuuuut....

In situations where you would need to walk you still now have to hit the shift key.  Now if you are the person who runs constantly then this would not be so bad as you

wouldn't have to hold shift so often. Just for now no getting away from that shift key.

I was thinking of (this was long, long ago lol) getting one of those foot pedal thingys that plugged into a usb port that you could bind keys or combo keys to.

Was thinking of using one for fast walking and driving and maybe one for push to talk.

You could put the left mouse button as move and the right as "go fast" and it wouldn't be bad at all.  Assuming you don't care about mouse look by using the mouse button to enable it.  At least then it is entirely mouse controlled.  Still not ideal, but better.  I still prefer being able to let go of controls without slowing down or stopping if I need to grab something.   Of course, if you have a mouse with extra buttons, you can set any of them to do these extra commands.  Unfortunately, I hate those kinds of mice. Lol. 😁

19 hours ago, Gamida said:

Looks as if you switched the places of the 14 and 9 so default is run and now what was run is the walk speed. That would indeed work buuuuuut....

In situations where you would need to walk you still now have to hit the shift key.  Now if you are the person who runs constantly then this would not be so bad as you

wouldn't have to hold shift so often. Just for now no getting away from that shift key.

Yep.. that's it.. easy, lol..

I think it works out really well for the vehicles most times.. as long as ya stay on the road in the wasteland..

if ctrl can toggle crouch.. then why can't shift toggle run..

A macro easily gets around the long flights and the like for an auto run feature though this is a really basic function that should be in the game.  The problem I have with auto run missing is that when traveling longer distances it is boring.  Boring is not good when playing a game.  To fill that time an auto run would at least give me the ability to investigate my points for leveling, take a look at my mats I have been gathering, possibly lighten my load a bit, some basic organization, map stuff or do other ancillary tasks that are also not really fun but in general need completing.

This is not good for the player.  Give me something to do when walking is no longer interesting.