Destroying All the Blocks

Jinx_DG

I love that each and every block, except for those trader protected, can be destroyed. I love that the trees and grass won't grow back unless re-planted. I love that I can wipe an entire poi block by block off the map leaving behind only a field of dirt. Best Game Ever! 

And because of that I've been wondering..... 

Has anyone ever attempted to destroy and entire (Small) map, like down to bedrock? The entire Map. Buildings, landscaping, & earth? Have you ever thought about attempting such a thing? I have. I want to know if it's possible and what it would look like. I can picture a small army of players chopping and mining their way to nothingness. Am I the only one? 

Edited by Jinx_DG (see edit history)

I heard it would take a loooong time.. assuming you chopped or pickaxed it, but I’ve been on modded servers that have “very powerful explosives” like the rocket launcher than can take out a lot of blocks. I saw it used for fast tunneling (and general Mayhem)… so maybe there’s a faster way to do it…. But I’ve never heard anyone actually doing it.

So... math.  A one kilometer square map would have a maximum of 1000*1000*256 blocks in it (not sure what the 256 number's actual average per map would be but somewhere over 128, I suspect).  A 2k map would have 4 times that.  A 4k map would have 4 times the 2k.  You get the pattern, I hope.

So you would have to potentially destroy 4 BILLION blocks to clear out an entire 4k map.  Let's make it 2 billion to be closer to reality (discounting water and air blocks and other things like indestructible traders).  Destroying one block per second would take over 34 million minutes (or just under 65 years) if I've done my math correctly.  And that's just a 4k map.

It would be nice if they included a metric in the game that had the total number of blocks you've completely destroyed (and one for all the zombies, too).

9 minutes ago, Maharin said:

So... math.  A one kilometer square map would have a maximum of 1000*1000*256 blocks in it (not sure what the 256 number's actual average per map would be but somewhere over 128, I suspect).  A 2k map would have 4 times that.  A 4k map would have 4 times the 2k.  You get the pattern, I hope.

So you would have to potentially destroy 4 BILLION blocks to clear out an entire 4k map.  Let's make it 2 billion to be closer to reality (discounting water and air blocks and other things like indestructible traders).  Destroying one block per second would take over 34 million minutes (or just under 65 years) if I've done my math correctly.  And that's just a 4k map.

It would be nice if they included a metric in the game that had the total number of blocks you've completely destroyed (and one for all the zombies, too).

Dude..... 😕

Seriously tho, appreciate the time you took to math it. I would have no doubt done the same if someone else had posted a question like this. I'm going to pretend that maths didn't just completely destroy my head fantasy and pretend it's still possible. 😁

8 minutes ago, 8_Hussars said:

Not every block has to be individually destroyed; explosives, cave ins, zombie diggers...

Ok... let's play another scenario.  Destroy all of the bottom blocks in a 4k map simultaneously.  How long do you think that would take to resolve?  Good luck finding a computer that could handle that.

2 hours ago, Crater Creator said:

You might be interested in a discussion we had over on the Steam forum about a similarly grandiose goal.  To paraphrase: given a powerful enough server and a year of prep time, could a majority of a million players on the same server survive?

Nice! I'll definitely go check that out. Need to let my laptop cool down a bit anyways. I swear I heard it cuss at me at one point. Lol. Hard to log out when your in the 7dtd zone. 😆

19 hours ago, Maharin said:

Ok... let's play another scenario.  Destroy all of the bottom blocks in a 4k map simultaneously.  How long do you think that would take to resolve?  Good luck finding a computer that could handle that.

I seriously wonder how much RAM your computer would need to make this possible, regardless of CPU power and the time it would take to calculate everything.

Hmm, the prediction for the OP question is a little pessimistic. It's more of a 2d problem than a 3d one:

- You can reach about 3 blocks away from your location to mine the lower block of your two-high character. This means you won't need to clear the entire "second" layer of the world, only the lowest one and then make paths through every 6th row of the world.

- Making campfires to fill the bottom layer will* prevent the collapsing blocks from forming destroyed stone; it's a lot of work, but that way you only need to clear one block per x,y - spot. The dirt layer alone causes plenty of re-digging otherwise. Then you can choose whether you want the world to be a one massive campfire, of if you want to clear them out.

With those requirement, a 4k world would have 16M blocks as the bottom layer to clear, and an extra 16M/6 for the required tunnels. And then the 16M campfires with their measly health - so about 35M blocks total. Not even an issue.

And of course that would require the SI engine not just chocking up.

*at least it used to the last time I was collapse-mining, but that was patches ago.

I like the idea of this, idk if auguring 16M blocks is the best way to go about it though

Id rather have CM and spawn in an inventory full of rockets and dynamite, or make some mod where the materials are super cheap and they make like 100 instead of 1

but just imagine...a whole map leveled to bedrock

2 hours ago, POCKET951 said:

but just imagine...a whole map leveled to bedrock

Or, there is nuke bunker somewhere and you accidentally set off the countdown timer while wrenching the console :)...now there is an oh fecal matter moment.