dart trap set to zombies but hits me.

lil_joha

set up is this way. generator to motion senser (set to zombies only) to pressure plate to dart traps.  double check they work but if I stand on the plate I get hit too. and thats without a zombie in the range of the motion senser

triple checked  everything  each of the 4 dart traps so zombie only. so does motion senser. made sure the only power is thru the motion senser.

I do have a relay in between the generator and the motion sencer as I hate having so many wires showing. what might I be doing wrong?

Set up is this way. generator to motion sensor (set to zombies only) to pressure plate to relay to dart traps.  double check they work but if I stand on the plate I get hit too. and that is without a zombie in the range of the motion sensor

triple checked  everything  each of the 4 dart traps so zombie only. so does motion sensor. made sure the only power is thru the motion sensor.

I do have a relay in between the generator and the motion sensor as I hate having so many wires showing. what might I be doing wrong?

also direct wired the motion sensor  still same results. dart traps fire at me..

e doing wrong?

Huh, I had a reply here, but it got >poofed<? Odd.

17 minutes ago, lil_joha said:

triple checked  everything  each of the 4 dart traps so zombie only. so does motion sensor. made sure the only power is thru the motion sensor.

I don't think dart traps can be set to "zombie only". If they get power, they shoot. That said, I configured a similar setup and I saw the same behavior. If I step on the plate, I get shot, even though the motion sensor has no targets (set to zombie only).

Also, if the motion sensor does have a target, but nobody is standing on the plate, the dart trap still fires. Like the pressure plate is acting as a relay. Something ain't right.

image.png.b58f18959a092b55b4c93dab45b6f0e4.png

31 minutes ago, Boidster said:

I don't think dart traps can be set to "zombie only". If they get power, they shoot. That said, I configured a similar setup and I saw the same behavior. If I step on the plate, I get shot, even though the motion sensor has no targets (set to zombie only).

Also, if the motion sensor does have a target, but nobody is standing on the plate, the dart trap still fires. Like the pressure plate is acting as a relay. Something ain't right.

Your post didn't go poof. the thread was accidentally double posted.

28 minutes ago, Boidster said:

If I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing, the motion sensor simultaneously bypasses the pressure plate, powering the dart trap, and powers it. Which both tells me the pressure plate is doing nothing in that circuit and causes me to wonder when in the heck did we become able to have 2 inputs going to a Dart trap, or any electrical components for that matter? 2 output yes, not inputs though.

ok took the presure play out of the curcuit. now does not hit me.  (did check that it worked by setting to me and steping into its range)

but I know in 19 I had it set up to hit zombies  using motion sensor and pressure plates.  so to only activate if they were at the door and not fire if they were not in the darts path across the door ways.

A simple workaround would be to put a relay between the motion sensor and the pressure plate. The relay passed trough the power but not the signal. When a zombie is detected by the motion sensor only then the pressure plate should recieve power and can activate the dart trap.

The setup would then be Generator -> Motion Sensor -> Relay -> Pressure Plate -> Dart Trap

The downside is that the power duration on the motion sensor needed to be set to the same amount of time that the pressure plate is set. So if you set the pressure plate to 5s then the motion sensor should be set to 5s as well or better 10s.

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

1 hour ago, RipClaw said:

The setup would then be Generator -> Motion Sensor -> Relay -> Pressure Plate -> Dart Trap

The downside is that the power duration on the motion sensor needed to be set to the same amount of time that the pressure plate is set. So if you set the pressure plate to 5s then the motion sensor should be set to 5s as well or better 10s.

This, you'll need a relay in between any triggers to achieve AND functionality.

As for the power duration, you could also add a "warning light" powered from the relay, as a "don't step on the plate" indicator. With that you might be willing to have a longer power from the motion sensor.

8 hours ago, RipClaw said:

A simple workaround would be to put a relay between the motion sensor and the pressure plate.

7 hours ago, theFlu said:

This, you'll need a relay in between any triggers to achieve AND functionality.

Is this intended behavior? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me if so. Both the motion sensor and the pressure plate ought to behave like a transistor or a solenoid. Power comes in, and if there is a signal (motion sensed or pressure applied), power goes out. It doesn't make sense to me that a pressure plate can pass power through without anything stepping on the plate. Or alternatively, that a dart trap will fire based only on "signal" being passed in. It should require power, and the pressure plate ought not to provide it without...pressure. On the plate. Like it says on the tin.

Is there some useful behavior that requires the concept of "signal" from a motion sensor to pass through pressure plates and such as?

26 minutes ago, Boidster said:

Is this intended behavior?

As far as I know, yes. I've described it a couple times on the forums, and so have plenty of others - so I'm just a little surprised that you didn't know it.

The basic function is referred to as "Passthrough triggering" in the journal (or something similar). That is an easy way to allow for an "OR" functionality, so that you can run one door from multiple cameras; the relay-for-an-and may well be a happy coincidence.

30 minutes ago, Boidster said:

Both the motion sensor and the pressure plate ought to behave like a transistor or a solenoid.

They do, they just connect between three wires, not two.. a power pair goes the entire length of a trigger chain, and a signal cable as well. Each triggered item just connects the power to the signal. Any appliance after the trigger chain just connects to the signal as its power input.

5 minutes ago, Boidster said:

Thanks. Besides the NAND gate silliness from a couple of weeks back I don't really get into much complicated electrics, and no powered doors. Our traps are generally generator -> trigger -> trap so it all kinda made sense. I'm one of today's lucky 10,000!

That's why I put so much effort into figuring out how to do an inverter. I knew once I had that I had everything due to the already existing and/or functionality. It was the only thing needed for full circuits.

2 hours ago, Boidster said:

Is there some useful behavior that requires the concept of "signal" from a motion sensor to pass through pressure plates and such as?

The pass through of the signal is needed for example for vault doors or drawbridges if they should function as both exit and entrance.

Here is the setup usually

Power source -> motion sensor -> motion sensor -> door / drawbridge.

Or you use a combination of motion sensor and trigger plate e.g. with

Power source -> trigger plate -> motion sensor -> door / drawbridge.

18 hours ago, RipClaw said:

A simple workaround would be to put a relay between the motion sensor and the pressure plate. The relay passed trough the power but not the signal. When a zombie is detected by the motion sensor only then the pressure plate should recieve power and can activate the dart trap.

GReat.. it works now... thank you for solving my issue