Jump to content

JaxTeller718 Presents Action Skills For A20


JaxTeller718
 Share

Recommended Posts

I did not want to include this in the Modlet Collection because I will be working on this separately.

 

A20.0_2021-12-13_10-52-35.thumb.jpg.7bc55a37d219370ca854b72977060960.jpg

 

 

This will restore a version of the old Action Skill system. Tool and weapon usage earn you XP in the following categories:

 

Construction
Mining
Blade
Blunt
Pistols
Rifles
Automatics
Shotgun
Turrets
Electric
Brawler
Javelin
Archery

 

Killing with Construction or Mining Tools will grant XP for Blunts or Bladed, Repairing and Upgrading grants XP for upgrading. For now I have excluded chainsaw, augers and nailguns due to rapid XP acceleration and because these tools are special in their own right.

 

Restores the feeling of the Action Skill system from A16 and before. Right now as you use weapons and tools you will acquire Action Skill XP in the category. The skills will provide a boost to damage, stamina, weapon spread and more depending on the item.

 

 

I will expand on this idea in the future to possibly include unlockable recipes as in previous alphas. This has not been 100 percent fully tested so some inconsistencies may apply.

 

 

Download Action Skills

 

Do not add this to an existing game or remove it from your game. It relies on buffs and progression and may wipe your save.

 

Please Note: If you level your skills via action and not purchasing there will be a lock icon that is green. You have unlocked that level but this means if you BUY the next level it will not unlock the next white padlock it will unlock the FiRST. This is a side effect of the code, but I did not want to remove the ability to purchase skills.

 

If this is unacceptable you can open the progression xml and replace base_skill_point_cost="1" in the file with base_skill_point_cost="0"

Edited by JaxTeller718 (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a great idea - really missed this system and I think this is a great way to add it into the current one.   I was bummed when they ripped the old system out for the console friendly sloppy dumbed down version we have now.  

 

Since it can't be added to a current game ill have to try it next reset - Thanks for the hard work Jax!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Madnesis said:

This is dope!!! I have been playing some A20 lately, super happy about the update but really missing the A16 progression which I really liked.

I'm so glad I came across this post, such an awesome surprise. Thank you so much for sharing!!!

So glad you are enjoying it! I miss the old system dearly as well. I plan to update this over time to really be like it. Thanks for trying it out :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, paulj_3 said:

We have a number of top-notch guys here, Jax, and I reckon you're one of the top two or three. Many thanks for all your work and inspiration.

 

pj

With the amount of talent surrounding me I consider this to be the highest compliment one can pay. Thank you very much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, wolverine576 said:

Old school farming, where you till the ground...i hate farming plots!

That is a project for Ravenhearst :)

6 hours ago, Madnesis said:

Using the Bone Knife (at least right-click action to carve meat) doesn't seem to increase the Blade skill. Is this expected?

It should, I dont see why not. I will look into it. It is possible power actions do not level and I will need to fix that somehow

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, wolverine576 said:

Whats the difference in the Green icon, shopping basket, and the green lock? If i understand it, you have to unlock, by doing the action, then buy with skill points?

Is that how it works. I had a version 2 years back that worked that way. I will test if this is still the case but no you shouldnt have to do both. If you do then thats a huge bug i will fix

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/17/2021 at 5:23 PM, JaxTeller718 said:

Removed the ability to buy perks as it was interfering with unlocks through the LBD (learn by doing) system. This is an unfortunate side effect of how the skill points work. I will try to return purchasing in the future.

 

Wait, so there are no skill points in this now, so you have to rely solely on leveling things up by doing them? You know, the original was a mix of both, action points and skill points and it made sense and gave me more freedom where I want to put the points versus what's not so worth it, so the less favorite actions were the ones I usually just "learned by doing" instead of investing skill points into them. If there are no skill points here or you simply cannot spend them, then I guess I'd have to pass. :(

Edited by mr.devolver (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, mr.devolver said:

 

Wait, so there are no skill points in this now, so you have to rely solely on leveling things up by doing them? You know, the original was a mix of both, action points and skill points and it made sense and gave me more freedom where I want to put the points versus what's not so worth it, so the less favorite actions were the ones I usually just "learned by doing" instead of investing skill points into them. If there are no skill points here or you simply cannot spend them, then I guess I'd have to pass. :(

People seemed confused by the unlock thing, so what would you like me to do? Answer the same question over and over or make things easier for me? I will look into returning the purchase of the points, or you can simply edit it back in yourself by changing one number.

 

base_skill_point_cost="0"    to   base_skill_point_cost="1"

 

EDIT

 

I have returned the 1 point cost to buy the skills because i do agree it should be both ways. I have noted in the first post about the unlock icon.

Edited by JaxTeller718 (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, JaxTeller718 said:

People seemed confused by the unlock thing, so what would you like me to do? Answer the same question over and over or make things easier for me? I will look into returning the purchase of the points, or you can simply edit it back in yourself by changing one number.

 

base_skill_point_cost="0"    to   base_skill_point_cost="1"

 

EDIT

 

I have returned the 1 point cost to buy the skills because i do agree it should be both ways. I have noted in the first post about the unlock icon.

Hmm, I think you can't please everyone, but I do think it makes sense to have both and I believe that you feel the same way about this. You are a talented modder and if you ask me, I would rather risk a few confused people, but have a good mod in the end. You know your reasons why you want both, so make it what it should be. :)

 

Thank you for putting points back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very great mod. Thank you very much. "Buy perk" side effect - is nothing compare to awesome feature this mod gives. But, it wil be "the best mod ever" if we(you & all community) could add some other such "mastery skills", like athletics(run) and acrobatics(jump), healing mastery(heals&meds) , armor mastery(damage reduction), or even some skills like bonus damage to animals, zombies, etc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/17/2021 at 10:22 AM, JaxTeller718 said:

Is that how it works. I had a version 2 years back that worked that way. I will test if this is still the case but no you shouldnt have to do both. If you do then thats a huge bug i will fix

pretty sure you have to do both atm cause unless i unlock them they are always greyed out and locked even with base_skill_point_cost="0"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/29/2021 at 10:51 PM, NovaZone said:

pretty sure you have to do both atm cause unless i unlock them they are always greyed out and locked even with base_skill_point_cost="0"

 

I'm pretty sure that's just a UI thing. I've seen the skills improving in real time, like the base damage on my stone axe vs a rock, per thwack,  increase over time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Hockallz said:

 

I'm pretty sure that's just a UI thing. I've seen the skills improving in real time, like the base damage on my stone axe vs a rock, per thwack,  increase over time. 

yeah ur right was hard to notice early game where 1% of something is like 0.25 but it does in fact work even if you don't put points into the skill

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh dude, this mod is crazy good! Please do follow up on updating this mod, I'd love to see something like a "loot" skill in there some day.

Then again, all your mods are crazy good and detailed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...