The 7D2D Mod Launcher - A Mod Launcher for 7 Days to Die

sphereii

Question: to replicate what I have on one local system on our network here to the two other systems, what all needs to be relocated? (Keeping in mind I have a new mymod that uses my own changes of the badco zombie only mod)

I'd like to be able to start the server on one system, and then conect to that with the other two systems.. I can do that now with the server launcher, but I've never tried it with mods.

Do you have all your changes in the downloadable zip file? Or is there still a combination of download of Bad Company, plus your own local changes?

I uploaded all the changes including badco in a zip on onedrive. The my mod loads compo, valmod enhancement, and the massaged badco zombie only zips, and then launches the game.

The only concern is that the mod launcher looks for specific local folders for its info, and then grabs the mods off the web for launching.

I'm sure I can load the mod launcher on both other systems and add these mods together, but I'm usure of how it interacts with the server manager tool.

So the Mod Launcher is useful only for the client install, and not the server.

For the server, you would install the mods manually. Quite a few of the XML files from the server actually get pushed to the client, but having a local copy won't hurt either. You can actually modified the server's Config XML directly, in most cases, without updating your downloadable zip file.

Sounds like the eaiest way is to justmake a backup of the install folder manually, and then drop the additions created by the mod manager into the original install folder.. and thn wipe it and replace it with the original if I need to go back to vanilla.

I'm prety sure the homegroup and network are all sharing properly now, so it should be easy to do.t

Sounds like the eaiest way is to justmake a backup of the install folder manually, and then drop the additions created by the mod manager into the original install folder.. and thn wipe it and replace it with the original if I need to go back to vanilla.

I'm prety sure the homegroup and network are all sharing properly now, so it should be easy to do.t

Sorry for the delay in answer.

Maybe I'm not following what you are trying to accomplish. The Mod Launcher will install the mods for client side, so that it can connect to a modded server easily, or just play in single player.

Were you having trouble creating a mod pack to share between computers? For that, I would recommend using a tool like Beyond Compare to check for differences between a vanilla clean version of 7 Days To Die, and your modded version. There's an option for "Copy Differences to Folder" that would copy all the changes to a different folder, so you can zip it up as your download link.

Here's my goal: use the server launcher tool to host a game with all three mods on one pc networked here, and connect to that with our two gaming PCs here to play local co op with the mods.

Rather than compare and sort, isn't it just easier to backup the whole steam game folder, and just drop the modded game folder into it to replace/add the combined modded files?

And then if we want to go back to vanilla, just delete the game folder contents and replace it with the contents in the backed up game folder.

There's two versions of 7 Days To Die: Client and Dedicated Server (available through Steam Tools menu). Dedicated Server does not require a 7 Days License, and can run without a GUI.

You can manually make the copies of Steam for the clients, and apply the mods manually. That's what the Mod Launcher does automatically for you though. The Mod Launcher will keep a separate folder containing a copy of the game, plus its mods. This way, you can switch to playing vanilla and mods, without having to delete, re-download from steam, or the likes.

I got things working fine on my one system here, but for some reason I get a script error if I install this on my other system. If I unzip the release it looks to run fine, but the installer with the auto updating would be more desirable.

This is on windows 10.. any ideas what might be broken? It installed fine on my other system.

If I use the second one click install, I get an application launch error. It said the error was sent to the website, but here's a onedrive copy of the error: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjYp78Zx8Mnfgr5zemtFRhHFOE0AkQ

Edited by Gareee (see edit history)

I think it does.. I need to check to see if this is installed on this system. Its easy to work on this one because it has a normal monitor and desk.. my other game system is on a 82" tv, and sitting on the couch working on this is slower going.

EDIT: I thought you were talking about net framework, which has the latest installed. I really like this tool for combining several mods for launching organised and quickly.

I believe if you run the OneClick Installer, it will check for the correct version of the .NET framework, and install it automatically, if not found.

It requires .NET Framework 4.5 or higher, however.

Gareee, I just got back to my desk, and the link you posted has expired. Did you want me to still review the log file?

I'll try that, but I do have the latest net framework on this system.

If it errors again, I'll link that log

- - - Updated - - -

I had cleared everything off, and redownloaded the oneclick, and that seems to have done the trick! Thanks!

I didn't save the error log so you can look it over though... sorry. If I get another error on either system, I'll give you the log and a head's up.

I've been trying to use this to modify an existing mod, but I think there;s something either wrong or that I don't understand.

Here's wat I'm doing.. please LMK if its not how its supposed to be done.

I create a new my mod, and add the compo mod.

I then add bad company, and test. It works fine.

I then make some changes to bad company, remove it, and then replace it with the new version and save.

I test, go in amd make another updated version of bad company, delete the first update, replace it with the new version, and save.

I repeat the test and process.

After 6 or 7 versions, I'm not seeing the proper bahavior in the game.

I delete the my mod completely, create a new one, and then ad the latest version of Bad Company, and its completely broken and has no effect in game at all.

Am I missing a step somewhere, or doing something wrong?

My impression is that this creates a new game folder, and adds the mods contents to that folder, and directs the game to use it when you hit play.

Could this be leaving behind some files when you switch mods for testing? Or maybe you need to save after deleting a mod, and then re edit again to add another new mod?

I haven't been sure if I've done something wrong, or if the workflow I'm using is a incorrect.

When you hit the Play button in the Launcher, it will download the links, and extract the contents in a folder called TempMods, under your new game folder. You can view the files in that folder and see if that's what you'd expect.

When you say you made changes to Bad Company, and replace it... how exactly are you doing this? Are you modifying the files in TempMods? They would get over-written when you click on the Play button again, if the "Refresh Mods Automatically" is enabled.

Hay Sphereii can you put me a download in your launcher again? Heres the link -

https://github.com/SpiderJZMOD/True-Survial-A15-JZMOD.git

It's the full mod. Good for SP, Mp, Lan and Dedi

Thanks

Nice! No problem. Should we give the option to pair with Compo Pack?

Edit: Done. File -> Load Defaults to see it. Next launch of the Mod Launcher should let the users see it as well.

Edited by sphereii (see edit history)

When you hit the Play button in the Launcher, it will download the links, and extract the contents in a folder called TempMods, under your new game folder. You can view the files in that folder and see if that's what you'd expect.

When you say you made changes to Bad Company, and replace it... how exactly are you doing this? Are you modifying the files in TempMods? They would get over-written when you click on the Play button again, if the "Refresh Mods Automatically" is enabled.

What I'm doing if creating a work bad company folder, and editing the xml files. I zip that up, uploading it to one drive, and then replace the previous version in the my mod with the new link from one drive.

I had everything working, and had a few my mod versions so I decided to clean everything up. I deleted the myh mods, created a frexh one, added compo and then my onedrive link of the latest version, and when I ran it, the bad company zombies were no longer added at all. They had been working though with the previous mymod using that onedrive link.

This seemed like a good way to develop a mod and test it out, but its proving now to probabl;y be more work than manually creating a work game folder.

You may be right. The Mod Launcher was more designed to handle finished mods, rather than assist in developing them. That being said, there does not appear to be anything amiss about your method on going about doing it.

If you want, you can PM me your links or My Mods XML, and I can give it a try.

I'm not sure if I even have a working one now. I'll have to do a normal folder install and test to see if its doing what it should. I suspect that its not emptying the contents of its temporary my mod folder, and new files might or might not be getting dumped into it. I kept think "I'd already made that change!" when seeing issues, and repeatedly fixing it.

It might also be that you really need to save a my mod after every addition OR subtraction from it as well. As it is now, you can make multiple changes before saving, which might have confused it.

No I have the combo pack included in the mod. Thanks for setting it up.

Spider, the downloads I'm seeing are compo mod, and then the bad company mod. If I'm ready by things right, the bad company mod install will over write the compo rwgmixer.

If it does, then the only poi's that will show up are the ones included in and listed in the bad company rwgmixer.

If that's the case, then you really don't need the compo mod, since many of its buildings are included in bad company.

Or do you have a custom new rwgmixer for random gen that is based off bad company and includes the additions from compo?

I stripped out the animal zombies and bandits from bad co, and wanted to add in the additional compo buildings, but that's a lot of adding to the mixer, and I still havent really modded it at all yet