The 7D2D Mod Launcher - A Mod Launcher for 7 Days to Die

sphereii

Thanks rsv777!

I added Pacco's SDX mod HeadBanger to the default. Click on File -> Load Defaults to get the new listing.

Reminder, it's a large download. After your initial play, remember to uncheck "Refresh Mods Automatically" to avoid re-downloading it on the second play.

-SphereII

Hi, I found this launcher by random forum lurking and actually I got one question.

Maybe I totally misunderstood, I get the fact this downloads mods automatically and let#s you play with them without the whole XML file overriding hassle but can I combine mods with this easily as well? Like let's say I would like to play with clockwork project, steel mod and valmods expansion?

Can I use the launcher to download them in a way which will save me hours of ID editing and XML reading so that nothing important gets overridden?

Hey Xireka

The 7D2D Mod Launcher allows you to download existing mods, which you can use along with prefab mods. However, you wouldn't be able to use Valmar's Overhaul and A Clockwork Project together in a combined mod.

The Launcher simply replaces completed files, and does not do any merges, unless it's a specific patch format. The Patch format should really only be used for binary files, and not XML files.

XML item ids would colide between different mods. Even if we could renumber them (which is technically possible), we would blow the id limits in the block.xml, as well as other XML files.

I hope this clarifies things a bit for you,

-SphereII

Hey all

Small update to the 7D2D Mod Launcher that you should receive on your next start up.

Changes include loading the Default list automatically (no more clicking on File -> Load Defaults, and also included two new copy hooks to make deploying mods fasting for SDX mods.

Enjoy,

-SphereII

Hey coastie222

I did some more testing last night with the DLC of HeadBangers, and I was getting a similar error. I removed it from the Configuration until I could figure it out.

Would you mind trying Head Bangers, without the PSG?

-SphereII

Could you send me your Output.log so I could check it's an error with the psg mod?

Hi Pacco.

I'm trying to reproduce, but seems to be a bit hit or miss. All my subsequent tests were successful. I've re-enabled it in the default list, so it should be available again.

If anyone gets a crash, would you mind letting us know? You can go to the View Menu, and click on Log Files. From there, you can select whether to view the Launcher log, or the 7 Days To Die Output log. Once you have selected it, click on Upload Log File. This will upload it to pastebin, and give you a link to share with us.

Thanks,

-SphereII

Ok Sphereii Im about ready to try and make my mod into a SDX mod and add some SDX toys with it. Now I read through and watched the tutorials on SDX but other than that I have never touched it. What would be the best way to convert my mod into a SDX mod for the solo purpose of pushing it out through your launcher. Do I need to make a Config File with all my changes or can i make my mod the base game SDX works off? Could you tell me what would be the best/easiest way to convert it?

Hey Spider

I would suggest using your original mod as the base XML files. SDX looks like it'll read the Config file for each SDX Mod, and attempt to merge it into your existing XML files. You'll need their SDX tool in order to do the Build, and all that jazz.

Once you have confirmed your mod works, then I'd recommend using Beyond Compare 4. This program can do a difference check between two folders. You'll want to have a vanilla version of 14.7 available on your hard drive; either through Steam, or using the Launcher to download the 14.7 version under The Fun Pimps heading.

Then, use the Beyond Compare 4 to select your new modded folder, and the vanilla version. You should see something like this:

jEsn7O4l.png

Highlight the files that are shown to be different. In my above example, they are Purple.

Right click, and Copy To Folder.

This will copy only the files that are different, in the right folder structure. This is what you'll want to give to your players. You can either share it through a MediaFire link (zip, and upload), or create a free github directory, and commit all the files as they are.

The benefits of github is that you can go and make changes, without having to re-upload all the files.

Let me know if you have any questions. Once you have your zip file in place, or in github, I can help you make an official Launcher config.

To test, you can always click on Add new My Mods, and add your download link there. That'll create a local config for you to do testing on.

-SphereII

No, all this work is just on your end initially. You are just creating the download package. It's fairly similar to how you are releasing your mod now; It's just more being included because of the different SDX folders. I find Beyond Compare 4 is a fairly easy way to find all the files that SDX has changed, so you don't accidentally miss any.

Once you are done with the download package, and confirmed everything is working, your players will just be able to use the Launcher to download and install everything, just as if you did it yourself. They don't have to worry about how you created it.

-SphereII

So to clarify the steps on porting an existing mod would be as follows:

1) Install SDX

a) Download the SDX file, and extract somewhere.

b) Copy the SDXMods to your 7 Days to Die with your existing mod

c) Edit the settings.ini and change the first path to your 7 Days to Die with your existing mod

d) Find and download the SDX mods you want, and place under the SDXMods folder. This cannot be nested; SDXMods/CoolMod/mod.xml

e) Use FrontEnd.exe in your SDX 0.6.0 install, Select Mods you want (including default 3), and click on Build.

f) Press Play in FrontEnd.exe and test the mod.

g) Repeat until you are satisfied.

2) Use Beyond Compare 6. Compare your 7 Days to Die Folder to a vanilla version. I use the Launcher to generate The Fun Pimp's Alpha 14.7 install.

3) You should see the purple folders highlighted in your modded folder; Select all the Purple folders, and right click, Copy To Folder. This will copy only the changed files.

4) Zip and upload. That's your new Mod zip file, which is likely larger than your existing mod zip file.

5) Once uploaded, click on "Add new My Mods" in the 7D2D Mod Launcher, and create a small personal config; Copy and paste the download link

6) Play that Mod and make sure everything still works.

7) Create a 7 Days to Die Config file. Here's a small example. It has two mods in it: http://textuploader.com/5bt3i/raw

8) Share the link, or ask StompyNZ or I to add it to the Defaults.

-SphereII

I tried to play headbangers with the mod launcher I get some errors when loading the game,

Is this the proper way to play it with mod launcher:

1- get fresh install of 14.7

2- open 7D2DLauncher.exe

3- in simple mode, go to file>load default

4- in sdx, select headbangers

5- select the steam game folder for 7 days to die

6- don't check any of the option on the right

7- click the Play mod button and wait

when I do this I get in output_log.txt

SDX: ResourceWrapper - Failed to load asset: #extweapons?sniper_zoom_overlay

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 37)

2016-09-01T23:39:12 14.220 ERR Loading and parsing items xml file (Unknown block name 'CannabisSprout1' in use_action!/ at ItemActionPlaceAsBlock.ReadFrom (.DynamicProperties _props) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ItemClassesFromXml.CreateItems (.XmlFile _xmlFile) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 )

2016-09-01T23:39:12 14.222 ERR Loading of items aborted due to errors!

2016-09-01T23:39:12 14.222 ERR at ItemActionPlaceAsBlock.ReadFrom (.DynamicProperties _props) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ItemClassesFromXml.CreateItems (.XmlFile _xmlFile) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Exception: Block with name 'MiningMachineStone' not found in block id 1

at Block.LateInit () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Block.LateInitAll () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at WorldStaticData.Init (System.String _name, .XmlFile _xmlFile) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at WorldStaticData.V (System.String ) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at WorldStaticData+XE.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at GameManager+JL.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

p.s: I use the release.zip download link, not the other 2

Edited by Destro (see edit history)

Here my experience with the 1.0.1.4 version (end result: I made it work without the custom zombie skin unless those were removed)

- On my first attempt, after hitting play mod and waiting I got an microsoft.net framework errors saying the value of something can not be NULL

I could choose to ignore I ended up choosing the other option by accident.

- on my second attempt, I kept the force mod download just in case but I forgot what happen after

- on my third attempt, I kept "force mod download" and "Launch with steam" selected, the game started, but it might have used the anti-cheat version of the game, so when the game started I got a black screen and nothing else.

- on my fourth attempt, I just launched the game from steam with the "without anti-cheat" option an then started my singleplayer game and it seem to work I could use the new gun and I had the new quest line, but it seem the new zombie skin did not change, but this might be related to my computer, even with the other ways of installing headbangers I was not able to get the new zombie skins, I have no idea why that is.

The End result is that I can play the headbangers mod just without the new zombie skin.

Anyway thank you for the help

by the way the 1.0.1.4 link you gave me was still saying version 1.0.1.3 in the down-left corner of the launcher, its not super important but some might end up thinking they don't have the right version of the launcher.

I'll take a look at the Release.zip file again. I thought I updated it everywhere. Thanks for pointing it out.

If you'd like, I could take a look at your Launcher log file. If you go to View -> Log Files, and press Upload Log files, I can review them.

-SphereII

Is that what you wanted, I never used pastebin:

http://pastebin.com/Q59V3dWY

I have not used the launcher after my third attempt like I said in my post, the log is what I got after opening the mod launcher to look at the log

In the mod launcher, is the option "enable EAC" supposed to deactivate the anti-cheat for 7 day to die when you don't select it or does it do something else?

Edited by Destro (see edit history)

I also have difficulties to run SDX mods thru the Mod Launcher. I have never used SDX before. I am using 'simple' version, not 'advanced'. Usually I have black screen with a cursor and it does not progress, so I have to kill the game. Some times I have the 'session token error', but the mod successfully loads after that. But then I am greeted with 'welcome to the true survivor mod', which is somehow left after I played 'true survival'. I am just hopping to different mods to try and see if any mods starts ok (I assume that the launcher allows safe mod changing). Sometimes I have to 'verify file integrity' in STEAM to make normal (non SDX) mod to install normally.

Sorry for this messy feed back, if it would be helpful, I can do it all again systematically and write all steps down and post here. My most recent log file http://pastebin.com/ytYV3XpH