The 7D2D Mod Launcher - A Mod Launcher for 7 Days to Die

sphereii

Well seems both got flagged... still figuring out what to do and if it's useful for me...probably it is cause I play too much 7 days and I like too many mods at the same time lol

I have a hard time playing a single mod at a time; My mind isn't really that great! :)

Which anti-virus software do you use? I can step you through on how to exclude it.

Issues and questions.

This launcher is really difficult to use... How can I use my own progression and item mods in junction with these mods? And how can I load multiple mods?

I guess first thing is first. Valmod? Doesn't work. Loaded it up and crashed on loading the particles. The friggin' particles, man, the quickest and easiest to load. Tried several other mods and got the same thing. Is nothing updated for 15.2 yet, or am I doing it wrong? I suppose it would be worth mentioning that I used the patch for bloom and fog before loading a mod. I'll validate and try again, without the patch.

Also the UI got bugged out when I went from SMX to another mod, and the description was frozen on SMX. Had to relaunch.

About my custom mods... They got wiped when I loaded in another mod. So I have to redo the changes from the 1st of the month again. Kinda pissed. I would really like to see some sort of custom mod plug-in mechanic added instead of jumping through a million hoops just to *try* and get a mod in the launcher. And after you load a mod, how can you clear it from loading again? In essence, how do you un-mod the game from the launcher, without validating? Is that not a thing, or..?

Ill be here for the next two hours validating and trying to figure out what all I had on my progression. Message back whenever.

Hey man. Sorry you are having such a rough go of the Launcher. Let's see if we can get things sorted out for you.

This launcher is really difficult to use... How can I use my own progression and item mods in junction with these mods? And how can I load multiple mods?

In Advanced mode, the Launcher makes a copy of the game, and applies the selected mod you want. For Valmod Expansion, for example, it would make a copy and add the Expansion mod. However, if you wanted to play Valmod Overhaul, it would make another copy, and apply the mod there. This keeps the mod separate from each other, and avoid conflicts.

I guess first thing is first. Valmod? Doesn't work. Loaded it up and crashed on loading the particles. The friggin' particles, man, the quickest and easiest to load. Tried several other mods and got the same thing. Is nothing updated for 15.2 yet, or am I doing it wrong? I suppose it would be worth mentioning that I used the patch for bloom and fog before loading a mod. I'll validate and try again, without the patch.

Which Valmod were you trying to use? Are you using Advanced Mode or Simple Mode? Advanced makes a copy, as I mentioned above, while Simple just over-writes the mods in your steam folder. Simple mod isn't really recommended unless you don't have a lot of disk space.

Also the UI got bugged out when I went from SMX to another mod, and the description was frozen on SMX. Had to relaunch.

How did you apply the SMX mod? And to which Mod? Most Mods, like Valmod, already have a UI applied. It can be difficult to apply a custom UI to a mod that wasn't designed for. The extra workstations that some mods create need custom settings in the UI to work. If you applied an SMX UI mod to another mod, then workstations may not work.

About my custom mods... They got wiped when I loaded in another mod. So I have to redo the changes from the 1st of the month again. Kinda pissed. I would really like to see some sort of custom mod plug-in mechanic added instead of jumping through a million hoops just to *try* and get a mod in the launcher. And after you load a mod, how can you clear it from loading again? In essence, how do you un-mod the game from the launcher, without validating? Is that not a thing, or..?

I'm sorry your changes were lost. The Launcher is designed to apply patches to the vanilla version of the game. If you have custom mods you want to do, you could create a My Mod. There won't be a download link, so the Launcher will just make a copy of the game, and won't add anything automatically to it. You can then make your changes in that, and they won't get over-written.

Ill be here for the next two hours validating and trying to figure out what all I had on my progression. Message back whenever.

Good luck. Let me know if you need more clarification or support.

Edited by sphereii (see edit history)

Alright, I won't quote all that, because that's a lot of text there. But as for the SMX situation, I failed to mention it was within the launcher I had this problem. It seemed to happen when I did a random combination of poking through the mods on the launcher and trying to create a my mods. What I mean by the description was stuck, is that whatever mod I clicked on, SMX's description popped up for each. Not a big problem if you already know each mod, but it was cumbersome for me.

I wasn't using advanced mode because the directory I have it on doesn't have all that room. I can move it though. But how does advanced mode work in running multiple mods? Does it load each new copy with its mod simultaneously, or will it just be a single mod per loadup? Just curious.

I tried both Valmod expansion and overhaul and got the same errors at loading the particles on 7DTD. I could never run the game through the launcher, and then I went back to check on my directory, and it was full of extra folders and junk (from me using simple mode, I know), so I figured starting it as normal wouldn't work either. Verifying and moving my installation now and going to run SMX or Valmod cold turkey to test. Theoretically, if they're up to date, it should work.

Other than that, just a little extra detail on how one goes about adding files from their drive (rather than a link) to a My Mods folder/pack in the launcher. And a bit more detail on packs themselves. Thanks for the help so far.

Also, I don't know when my post will get through, as its been about six hours now since you've posted (and I replied a few minutes after you posted, just taking 10 years to get approved by forum staff (no rush, its late)), but I verified 7DTD, moved my installation, and didn't hit load defaults in the launcher this time lmao (also could've been a factor in my bad initial experience). But Valmod runs wonderfully now. I'll fiddle with it more tomorrow and probably play around with the progression in Valmod too. Not bad, sir! Happy camper here.

Also, I don't know when my post will get through, as its been about six hours now since you've posted (and I replied a few minutes after you posted, just taking 10 years to get approved by forum staff (no rush, its late)), but I verified 7DTD, moved my installation, and didn't hit load defaults in the launcher this time lmao (also could've been a factor in my bad initial experience). But Valmod runs wonderfully now. I'll fiddle with it more tomorrow and probably play around with the progression in Valmod too. Not bad, sir! Happy camper here.

Sorry for the delay! I got the email notification, but the post wasn't here.

Seems like you have something working now, which is great.

Advanced Mode, by default, makes multple copies of the game under C:\7D2D\, allow you to play mods without them conflicting. This path can be changed, however. For instance, if you click on the Advanced button, then click on Spider, you should see a screen where it shows the Destination Folder. You can change this to whatever you like.

When you switch to Advanced, you will want to delete your entire 7 Days To Die folder in your Steam folder, then re-validate. This will make sure there's no old mods sitting around. You want your Steam copy to be purely vanilla.

For each Mod you install, it'll create a copy of the game. That's around 3 to 4G, depending on which mod you want to install.

If you want to make a copy for your own mods, then you can click on "Add New My Mods". This will create an empty folder, where you can add different download links if you have them. A download link is optional though, so you can just make your changes as you would normally do them.

If you want to make a copy for your own mods, then you can click on "Add New My Mods". This will create an empty folder, where you can add different download links if you have them. A download link is optional though, so you can just make your changes as you would normally do them.

I know the setting of which you speak of when you say the download link is optional, but I have unchecked the said setting "Refresh Mods Automatically" and it still copies the mods from the links, overwriting any edits I have made. Potential bug, or is there another setting for this? Of course the last resort is always just to hop on mediafire and post my xml(s). Let me know what you think.

I know the setting of which you speak of when you say the download link is optional, but I have unchecked the said setting "Refresh Mods Automatically" and it still copies the mods from the links, overwriting any edits I have made. Potential bug, or is there another setting for this? Of course the last resort is always just to hop on mediafire and post my xml(s). Let me know what you think.

Refresh Mods automatically triggers redownloading, or re-syncing of the mod. Unchecking that will still cause the Launcher to copy the files from TempMods into the game folder.

I'd recommend using Github for hosting your mods. Many modders keep their mod files on it. It allows you to see previous changes, is backed up, etc.

Good day Sphere2,

Launcher is still working GREAT ... I just don't understand why so many people have problems .. unless they putting it in the C:\program folder and not the game folder. But anyway, it doing just fine for me. :)

I do have a question .. in the older version you had the Starvation Game listed and in the new version it is not .. Just wondering why and if it will be coming back. [ NOW, I Don't play that game anyway .. I prefer Valmod over them all, it is the most stable of them all .. Have played ST-SDX and liked it until he required electric for lighting and took out the vanilla light ]

Have a great day and Enjoy

Good day Sphere2,

Launcher is still working GREAT ... I just don't understand why so many people have problems .. unless they putting it in the C:\program folder and not the game folder. But anyway, it doing just fine for me. :)

I do have a question .. in the older version you had the Starvation Game listed and in the new version it is not .. Just wondering why and if it will be coming back. [ NOW, I Don't play that game anyway .. I prefer Valmod over them all, it is the most stable of them all .. Have played ST-SDX and liked it until he required electric for lighting and took out the vanilla light ]

Have a great day and Enjoy

Thank you for the kind words. The launcher does have a lot of successful installs ( measured in the thousands now ).

The Starvation entry you may have seen was when DONA (Dawn of the Apocalypse ) was running a Starvation Server. DONA uses the Mod Launcher for all the servers in that group. Since then, the Starvation server was retired and a new server was rolled out (True Survival SDX), as we typically swap out mods every few months. It was never intended for a standalone, single player instance :)

Thank you for the kind words. The launcher does have a lot of successful installs ( measured in the thousands now ).

The Starvation entry you may have seen was when DONA (Dawn of the Apocalypse ) was running a Starvation Server. DONA uses the Mod Launcher for all the servers in that group. Since then, the Starvation server was retired and a new server was rolled out (True Survival SDX), as we typically swap out mods every few months. It was never intended for a standalone, single player instance :)

OK, Thank you for the update on that.

A couple of YouTubers have been playing the Starvation Mod and I was just wondering.

I've been playing Valmod_Overhaul_Horde_Big Backpack ... I could never get the backpack to work before NOW and using the launcher has made it SO much easier. Thank you again, Have fun and Enjoy

OK, Thank you for the update on that.

A couple of YouTubers have been playing the Starvation Mod and I was just wondering.

I've been playing Valmod_Overhaul_Horde_Big Backpack ... I could never get the backpack to work before NOW and using the launcher has made it SO much easier. Thank you again, Have fun and Enjoy

Valmar and Starvation Team do great work, as do all the modders :) I am definitely not smart enough to pull of the magic that they do

If you are still having a problem .. Watch this video .. it is helpful about install:

Have fun and Enjoy

Hey sphere, long time listener, first time caller :) (you know it's BS lol)

Anyway, I have only recently been using your launcher and was wondering something that I am too lazy to read through everything to find out. Can I tweak xml files like I want (stacks, damage, gui changes and what not) and save them so I can add them when I start a new game with a fresh install. I mean can I save it on my computer and not have to put it on line somewhere that I have to download it. One click and done.

I save the files now but having to search for them after a while is a pain because of time between uses or I move them somewhere else.

Person who stressed you out early in testing

Gambonian

Hey sphere, long time listener, first time caller :) (you know it's BS lol)

Anyway, I have only recently been using your launcher and was wondering something that I am too lazy to read through everything to find out. Can I tweak xml files like I want (stacks, damage, gui changes and what not) and save them so I can add them when I start a new game with a fresh install. I mean can I save it on my computer and not have to put it on line somewhere that I have to download it. One click and done.

I save the files now but having to search for them after a while is a pain because of time between uses or I move them somewhere else.

Person who stressed you out early in testing

Gambonian

Hello Stranger :)

You can do a few things here. I'll use Valmod's Expansion as an example, but will apply to any mods.

Option #1:

You can install Valmod's Expansion, and run play for the first time. This will create the folder, download the mod, and update all the game files. Then you can go in and edit all the XML files you want. You won't need to use the Launcher again (it'll just over-write your fles).

Option #2:

You can install Vamod's Expansion, and do at least a Test Sync on it. This will download the mod under TempMods. You can then make all your changes in there. Uncheck the Refresh Mods Automatically, and hit Play in the Launcher. It will copy the TempMods over, installing all your new changes every time.

Option #3:

Go for broke, and make a copy of the mod you want to modify. Upload it somewhere, either github or mediafire, and make a My Mods for it. It'll download and install the mod file each time you want to play.

Depending on your changes, Option #1 may be the safest bet for you. It'll make sure to download and set up the mod correctly, and once you know it works, you can make your changes.

Option #2 is nearly the same, but has added risk that you forget to uncheck Refresh Mods Automatically and it'll over-write your changes.

Option #3 is more work, and probably too much work for a Single Player run through. However, if there's a chance you want to share the mod with others to play, then it'd be the right choice.

any chance to get this on linux/mac?

Hey TOR

There's no plans currently to make it work on those platforms.

I have toyed around with the idea of making a python script to perform the same functionality. It'd be shell based, nothing too fancy though.

So, my girlfriend and I have been in love with this game, long story short, we wanted it to be way more challenging. I found the 7DTD mod launcher and got it installed on both of our computers. The launcher works great on my computer, its a bit confusing, and I cant find out how to load anything other than True Survival, but luckily that's the mod we were mostly interested in. My girlfriends laptop is a different story, when the launcher goes to open the game, we get the 'Unable to connect to steam' error message, I've looked up fixes on google, tried every single one. Nothing has worked, so my last hope is this forum and/or the subreddit. The vanilla game loads up just fine, its only when mods are loaded. I'll also mention that her computer is running Windows 8, not sure if that could cause any issues with the launcher.

I've tried:

Deleting ClientRegistry.blob

Un/Reinstalling Steam

Un/Reinstalling 7DTD

Un/Reinstalling the 7DTD Launcher

Un/Reinstalling the Mods

So, my girlfriend and I have been in love with this game, long story short, we wanted it to be way more challenging. I found the 7DTD mod launcher and got it installed on both of our computers. The launcher works great on my computer, its a bit confusing, and I cant find out how to load anything other than True Survival, but luckily that's the mod we were mostly interested in. My girlfriends laptop is a different story, when the launcher goes to open the game, we get the 'Unable to connect to steam' error message, I've looked up fixes on google, tried every single one. Nothing has worked, so my last hope is this forum and/or the subreddit. The vanilla game loads up just fine, its only when mods are loaded. I'll also mention that her computer is running Windows 8, not sure if that could cause any issues with the launcher.

I've tried:

Deleting ClientRegistry.blob

Un/Reinstalling Steam

Un/Reinstalling 7DTD

Un/Reinstalling the 7DTD Launcher

Un/Reinstalling the Mods

Sorry you are having trouble. Let's get it all sorted out.

Are you using Simple or Advanced mode?

Simple mode re-uses your steam folder, swapping out mods one-at-a-time. This is less than ideal, however, since it's not really cleaned up.

Advanced Mode is a safer bet.

If you are using Advanced mode, did you Download from Steam, or Copy from Local?

If you copied from local, was the steam folder clean? Any existing mods?

If downloaded from steam, you may have to re-start steam to get rid of the Unable to connect to Steam message.

Sorry you are having trouble. Let's get it all sorted out.

Are you using Simple or Advanced mode?

Simple mode re-uses your steam folder, swapping out mods one-at-a-time. This is less than ideal, however, since it's not really cleaned up.

Advanced Mode is a safer bet.

If you are using Advanced mode, did you Download from Steam, or Copy from Local?

If you copied from local, was the steam folder clean? Any existing mods?

If downloaded from steam, you may have to re-start steam to get rid of the Unable to connect to Steam message.

I believe she used advanced, I can't ask cause shes at work at the moment.

She made the copy from local, with no existing mods installed.

Next time she gets the chance, could you ask her to re-try? Then, if it fails, go back to the Mod Launcher, click on the View menu, then Log Files. Select the 7 Days To Die output.log from the drop down, then click on Upload Log file. It will give her a pastebin.com link, which will contain her log file.

Another thing to ask her, is if her Windows Firewall popped up when she first tried running the mod. I know under Windows 10 it does, but not so sure about Windows 8. The firewall could be blocking the game.

The Mod Launcher itself doesn't connect to Steam, so it's the game that is having issues.

im at her computer now, i uninstalled and tried again in advanced, i'm refreshing the mods and will try again, in the meantime i'm going to go into her settings and see if there is a firewall enabled, I do believe it asked for permission. I'll let you know what happens. Also, i looked at the log file and everything seemed to be working fine in the launcher.

im at her computer now, i uninstalled and tried again in advanced, i'm refreshing the mods and will try again, in the meantime i'm going to go into her settings and see if there is a firewall enabled, I do believe it asked for permission. I'll let you know what happens. Also, i looked at the log file and everything seemed to be working fine in the launcher.

Good luck. Let me know if you need any more help.

well i launched the game, and it instantly got locked minimized, every time i tried to open it, it went back to minimized, im trying one more time in case it was a fluke of sorts, then i'll start the process over from the beginning myself to make sure everything is where it needs to be. My girlfriend isn't very computer savvy, and has a bad habit of just clicking on things without knowing what they do.

well i launched the game, and it instantly got locked minimized, every time i tried to open it, it went back to minimized, im trying one more time in case it was a fluke of sorts, then i'll start the process over from the beginning myself to make sure everything is where it needs to be. My girlfriend isn't very computer savvy, and has a bad habit of just clicking on things without knowing what they do.

If you are launching True Survival SDX, it could take 3 to 10 minutes to load up into the menu, depending on computer speed and disk drives. If she's using anti-virus programs, maybe add the Launcher's folder in an exclusion list.