The 7D2D Mod Launcher - A Mod Launcher for 7 Days to Die

sphereii

New update today with two minor changes.

1) Fixed an issue where invalid characters were being used to try to save files (for Chromecide)

2) Allowed the EAC checkbox to be saved, on a global basis. Will work on fine tuning it for a mod-specific basis.

Mods List is cleaned up of older Alpha 15.x Mods, and are only display Alpha 16 mods now.

If there's a mod that you still want to play on Alpha 15.x, let me know and I can add it back to defaults.

The list of older mod links can be found here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/SphereII/7D2DConfig/master/Default.xml

Example:

# Arkmania's PVP

#https://raw.githubusercontent.com/SphereII/7D2DConfig/master/Arkmania.xml

# Spider's True Survival mods

#https://raw.githubusercontent.com/SphereII/7D2DConfig/master/Spider.xml

Just copy the web link, and add to the Mod Launcher through the Open URL button, and the mods will re-appear.

At some point, if mod makers want to use your product (and I don't see why they wouldn't), they should conform to a specific format that allows you easy integration. I'm not sure if you're big enough yet to make that "demand" to modders, or if you're still trying to get to that size.

At some point, if mod makers want to use your product (and I don't see why they wouldn't), they should conform to a specific format that allows you easy integration. I'm not sure if you're big enough yet to make that "demand" to modders, or if you're still trying to get to that size.

I notice a lot of modders using things like Mega, and Dropbox. They are pretty easy to use, but they do expire links after awhile. I'm gentle encouraging people to use github, under the guide of Mod Launcher support.

While that's true, I'm also interested in preserving these mods, regardless if they appear in the launcher or not. Nothing worse than clicking on the link of a cool mod, and getting a 404.

I also want to see that mods are installable without using the launcher, for those who aren't interested in using it.

As for growth, the more the merrier. It was created for a server group of about 20 people. It's gravy if anyone else uses it :)

I think github it's a bad idea to store our mods. Not everyone can, or wants to understand how it works.

For example: i will never install any software for filehosting on my computer.

I tried to understand github - but i'm tired... it's really for advanced users - for those who really need it. Not for me...

But your mod-Laucher is a good idea.... :) I wish that my mod was loaded through it.

Can there be any opportunity to use a different file-host? Even if it is without some of the features...

Or, for example: those who want to add their mod in the Launcher - get account (or password) and upload their files to a special server. That is, in fact, to keep our mods in not on different file-sharing, but on the dedicated server for 7dtd mods...

Sorry if this is a triviality, but i'm really far from modern IT :D

(I use Opera12 and WindowsXP...)

Edited by n2n1 (see edit history)

You could add subcategories to the launcher, a14 a15 a16 or something, and just move the mods to wherever they belong. Cause everything in the launcher is behind a + anyway

The XMLs that populate the mods have a <Version> tag, to match what's in Steam. Like <version>alpha15.2</version> I could make a filter that would show or hide those.

The problem comes with the repos I'm pointing to. If the modder updates to Alpha 16.1, and re-uses the alpha15.2 folder, then it doesn't make sense to show it under Alpha15 anymore. Further more, I may not even notice they did that.

I think github it's a bad idea to store our mods. Not everyone can, or wants to understand how it works.

For example: i will never install any software for filehosting on my computer.

I tried to understand github - but i'm tired... it's really for advanced users - for those who really need it. Not for me...

But your mod-Laucher is a good idea.... :) I wish that my mod was loaded through it.

Can there be any opportunity to use a different file-host? Even if it is without some of the features...

Or, for example: those who want to add their mod in the Launcher - get account (or password) and upload their files to a special server. That is, in fact, to keep our mods in not on different file-sharing, but on the dedicated server for 7dtd mods...

Once configured, GitHub is pretty straight forward, but I understand your concerns. Github is not a requirement in itself to be included in the mod launcher.

Different file hosts can work, as long as it follows these types of rules:

1) Direct download links only.

2) Consistent download link

3) File in a zip file

For 1), that would be http://www.dropbox.com can't be used. Instead, I have to manually change it to something like: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/. Or if you own http://www.disney.com, you could have http://www.disney.com/Mod.zip.

For 2), if you change the file, like update to a new version, that download link stays the same. Otherwise, we have to change the Mod Launcher's config every time.

For 3), Zip files are just consistent :)

The reasons for github is that it's consistent, has version information (if you screw up, you can roll back to a previous copy), and can give you a downloadable zip file. For large files, it can do an incremental download; after the initial download, it'll be faster each time, rather than re-downloading it each time you want to play.

The files also won't expire; so if you see a cool mod from last year, it may have expired on dropbox or mediafire, but it'd still exist on github.com.

Edited by sphereii (see edit history)

The XMLs that populate the mods have a <Version> tag, to match what's in Steam. Like <version>alpha15.2</version> I could make a filter that would show or hide those.

The problem comes with the repos I'm pointing to. If the modder updates to Alpha 16.1, and re-uses the alpha15.2 folder, then it doesn't make sense to show it under Alpha15 anymore. Further more, I may not even notice they did that.

Well most modders would know better than to re-use a folder from a previous build. One would think ;)

How about making a How to use github for uber beginners? Plus a youtube video.

Well most modders would know better than to re-use a folder from a previous build. One would think ;)

How about making a How to use github for uber beginners? Plus a youtube video.

I'll see what I can whip as up as a bare bones tutorial. I don't have my full computer gear, so it won't be flashy.

/// deleted, i send PM :D

Hey n2n1. I replied to your PM. Feel free to add me to Steam (same username as here). I'd love to work together to get your mod in the Launcher, but some changes will need to be done first. I don't think the changes are too scary :)

Morning sphereii

Something strange started after your update .. I Was and Still am using the .. Experimental version of Valmod Overhaul for A16.1 (b1) .. but after the update the 7D2D loader would pop up also while loading game along with Launcher .. Which it has Never done before on any game that I played using the Launcher.

Now it does Not interfere with anything it seems .. other than popping and loading game .. game seem to be fine .. But I did notice that the .... [7DaystoDie_EAC.exe] is at the bottom of load list in the Valmod Overhaul, but it does not prevent you from using the CM while in game. Just thought I would give you heads up on this.

Enjoy your day, Gary

Morning sphereii

Something strange started after your update .. I Was and Still am using the .. Experimental version of Valmod Overhaul for A16.1 (b1) .. but after the update the 7D2D loader would pop up also while loading game along with Launcher .. Which it has Never done before on any game that I played using the Launcher.

Now it does Not interfere with anything it seems .. other than popping and loading game .. game seem to be fine .. But I did notice that the .... [7DaystoDie_EAC.exe] is at the bottom of load list in the Valmod Overhaul, but it does not prevent you from using the CM while in game. Just thought I would give you heads up on this.

Enjoy your day, Gary

Sounds like two issues here:

Loader popping up: In Steam, right click on the game and select Show Game Launcher. Then, make sure that "Show this launcher on the next start" is unchecked.

7DaysToDie_EAC.exe: In the Mod Launcher, do you have the EAC checked? EAC will validate your DLL files. As far as I know, valmod can work with EAC, as long as you aren't using the bigger backpack mod.

sphereii .. How can I send a couple screenshots of issue .. I checked the link in their launcher and IT is unchecked .. but still happening .. all of 7D2D boxes are unchecked on that pop up screen about their [7d2d] launcher.

Is there on email link that I can use .. didn't see one on the Launcher Web page .. just the [sphereii software 2016] and that did nothing when I clicked on it.

Thank you

PS: I can not make them small enough for here, I can rar/zip them .. but my program will not reduce size.

sphereii .. How can I send a couple screenshots of issue .. I checked the link in their launcher and IT is unchecked .. but still happening .. all of 7D2D boxes are unchecked on that pop up screen about their [7d2d] launcher.

Is there on email link that I can use .. didn't see one on the Launcher Web page .. just the [sphereii software 2016] and that did nothing when I clicked on it.

Thank you

PS: I can not make them small enough for here, I can rar/zip them .. but my program will not reduce size.

You could upload to Imgur, then send me a link. Either here, or you can send me a PM.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21854[/ATTACH] That one and I have to do separately They won't let upload the other. I'm going to close and come back in

Another thing you can do, is go to the View menu, and log files. Then upload both log files, giving me the pastebin.com links.