Snufkin's Paintings Additions

Snufkin

• 2 weeks later...

Hello SNufkin – Amazing mod – I do have a question for you though – I wanted to change a few of the posters to something of my own but it doesnt seem to work – I have made the images 160x160px and overwritten the original but in game it seems the vanilla posters are showing and not my ones – any idea why? please contact me asap

• 2 months later...

I believe these are only accessible using Creative Mode. If you aren't familiar with Creative Mode, turn on Cheats in SP and hit the 'u' key in game to bring up the Creative Menu. Type painting in the search field and they will appear. Drag into your inventory and place in a fitting location.

41 minutes ago, arramus said:

I believe these are only accessible using Creative Mode. If you aren't familiar with Creative Mode, turn on Cheats in SP and hit the 'u' key in game to bring up the Creative Menu. Type painting in the search field and they will appear. Drag into your inventory and place in a fitting location.

Oddly I believe I was in creative mode....but I'll try it again!

You know, I hate to be a downer, but I'm pretty sure nearly all of those movie posters are still under copyright, and owned by the film studios. By using them in your mod, you're doing the same thing (legally speaking) as if you had included someone else's model without permission. You're in danger of getting your GitHub repo DMCA'd.

http://vintageposters.co.za/about/copyright/movie-poster-copyright/

The paintings are almost certainly in the public domain though, since they were created before 1923, so those are safe.

I'm not making any demands or anything, just saying you're putting yourself at risk.

And, obviously, if the copyright holders have actually granted you permission to do this, then never mind.

26 minutes ago, khzmusik said:

You know, I hate to be a downer, but I'm pretty sure nearly all of those movie posters are still under copyright, and owned by the film studios. By using them in your mod, you're doing the same thing (legally speaking) as if you had included someone else's model without permission. You're in danger of getting your GitHub repo DMCA'd.

http://vintageposters.co.za/about/copyright/movie-poster-copyright/

The paintings are almost certainly in the public domain though, since they were created before 1923, so those are safe.

I'm not making any demands or anything, just saying you're putting yourself at risk.

And, obviously, if the copyright holders have actually granted you permission to do this, then never mind.

It might be ok, as it seems to fall under "fair use" clause, given the mod is not being used for profit (or being sold and/or reproduced for gain)?  Of course, github may not care and just yank the repo. , as it seems social/websites often tend to do with a heavy hand. Of course, its made on top of 'git' so you should have a local repo as a backup. Of course, these are not full size, HD original stock images so I'm not sure a generic scanner/checker/checksummer will find them. Then again, an AI "visual" scanner might do something weird and pick it up. Of course, I'm sure a lot of mods are taking images from the net and cropping them for icons.  Then again its going to be impossible? to identify a snipped pic of a hash brown or a bullet vs. a poster.  ugh. my brain

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...