Can you play offline in P2P or LAN mode?

Lord Elathorn

On 2/3/2021 at 2:58 PM, Lord Elathorn said:

No - not a play pirated games question. I have the game legitimately, but I wanted to know if I can play it when I'm out of internet range on my boat

Did you come by that boat legitimately or are you an actual pirate?

If you put steam in offline mode maybe 1p will work? (Test it and if it works you have your answer since you own a copy. :))
This game requires a 3g connection minimally to play with friends tho. Even if its LAN which only improves ping.

Also, just putting it out there but satelite internet works anywhere and if youre in 1p it wont matter what your ping is cuz youre connected to yourself. lol

Edited by Pichii (see edit history)

15 hours ago, Pichii said:

This game requires a 3g connection minimally to play with friends tho. Even if its LAN which only improves ping.

Pretty sure not. The connection speed between clients and server should be at least at 3G-speed. If playing in LAN, THIS connection part is way faster than 3G.

Not tested in a real environment anyway:

The server in opposite only verifies the logindata of players via internet. That's very few traffic volume and not time critical (at least not in matter of ping times, of course the requests will timeout at some time). Basically from what i saw from all my traffic, this should work with minimal internet connectivity (like GPRS) and should even work if the clients have no internet access, but only the server.

So if you e.g. put up a LAN with 4 clients + server on a boat and (only) the server hast internetconnection, e.g. by using his built in cellular device, you should be able to play multilpayer.

Edited by Liesel Weppen (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2021 at 1:22 AM, Liesel Weppen said:

Pretty sure not. The connection speed between clients and server should be at least at 3G-speed. If playing in LAN, THIS connection part is way faster than 3G.

Not tested in a real environment anyway:

The server in opposite only verifies the logindata of players via internet. That's very few traffic volume and not time critical (at least not in matter of ping times, of course the requests will timeout at some time). Basically from what i saw from all my traffic, this should work with minimal internet connectivity (like GPRS) and should even work if the clients have no internet access, but only the server.

So if you e.g. put up a LAN with 4 clients + server on a boat and (only) the server hast internetconnection, e.g. by using his built in cellular device, you should be able to play multilpayer.

Still have to have a data connection to play 7d2d in the first place tho.
Even if its LAN or you cannot login.
I have tested this when my internet has gone out.
Data traffic is about the same as discord usage. Its just that you have to have a data connection in the first place.
Its kinda laggy depending on the network you connect to but playable.

Using LAN merely avoids going thru steam servers and routing so you get alot of ping boosts.
(If you do a 3G connection, I strongly recomend LAN to make it a enjoyable experience.)

Edited by Pichii (see edit history)

• 6 months later...

I find this to be major issue for me.  I'm trying to continue a solo game in my living room, which has a weak wifi signal.  Why should I be required to connect to the internet to play a solo player game?

I think a simple solution would be to allow a download of 7days that is solo only, that does not allow multiplayer.  No internet, solo only.  If you want multiplayer, steam required, internet connection required. 

23 hours ago, ungkor said:

I find this to be major issue for me.  I'm trying to continue a solo game in my living room, which has a weak wifi signal.  Why should I be required to connect to the internet to play a solo player game?

It is a kind of cheap DRM protection, Ubisoft/Epic is much worse then steam.

And not to forget they want to monitor your playing times for their statistics.