7d2d without Steam

ungkor

If the motivation behind the question is actually "can I run a 7d2d dedicated server without buying a separate license for it" then yes, the dedicated SERVER can run without steam (although, obviosuly, you cant find it in steam if its not running with a steam).

Client - as far as I am aware - needs a valid license to run (i.e., Steam). 

32 minutes ago, Tehnomaag said:

If the motivation behind the question is actually "can I run a 7d2d dedicated server without buying a separate license for it" then yes, the dedicated SERVER can run without steam (although, obviosuly, you cant find it in steam if its not running with a steam).

The dedi server also requires steam (steamCMD is also steam, just without a gui). It does authenticate each player by steam on login. This also can't be turned off. An "offline" (without connection to steam) LAN-Server doesn't work.

45 minutes ago, Liesel Weppen said:

The dedi server also requires steam (steamCMD is also steam, just without a gui). It does authenticate each player by steam on login. This also can't be turned off. An "offline" (without connection to steam) LAN-Server doesn't work.

Yes, but you do not need to buy 7d2d on a two different steam accounts if you want to run a dedicated server on one of them and a use second steam account as a client connecting to that server.  As this seems to be the usual source of confucion for some subset of people starting to wonder how/if they would like to host a 7d2d server then I thought I'll just point that out, if the question was, actually, about that. 

The clients are required to authenticate through steam, yes. Server, though, does not need to go through steam. There is even option to turn off the usage of steam network libraries, if you have a static ip and the right ports open to allow connections directly to your server. 

<property name="ServerDisabledNetworkProtocols"    value=""/>    <!-- Networking protocols that should not be used. Separated by comma. Possible values: LiteNetLib, SteamNetworking. Dedicated servers should disable SteamNetworking if there is no NAT router in between your users and the server or when port-forwarding is set up correctly -->

21 minutes ago, Tehnomaag said:

Yes, but you do not need to buy 7d2d on a two different steam accounts if you want to run a dedicated server on one of them and a use second steam account as a client connecting to that server. 

Yes.

As this seems to be the usual source of confucion for some subset of people starting to wonder how/if they would like to host a 7d2d server then I thought I'll just point that out, if the question was, actually, about that. 

Don't know from where you know what the actual question was? OP didn't answer that.

If somebody asks if a game also runs without steam, i assume he doesn't have and don't want to have a steam account (or steam installed) for whatever reason, but play the game anyway.

The clients are required to authenticate through steam, yes. Server, though, does not need to go through steam. There is even option to turn off the usage of steam network libraries, if you have a static ip and the right ports open to allow connections directly to your server.

Have you tried if the server runs without any steam installation? Even if this works, you can run a server, but without a connection to steam nobody can join the server. Which was relevant for me, because we made a LAN-Party where we had no internet connection at all, and that was the reason why we couldn't play 7d2d.

4 minutes ago, Liesel Weppen said:

Yes.

Don't know from where you know what the actual question was? OP didn't answer that.

If somebody asks if a game also runs without steam, i assume he doesn't have and don't want to have a steam account (or steam installed) for whatever reason, but play the game anyway.

Have you tried if the server runs without any steam installation? Even if this works, you can run a server, but without a connection to steam nobody can join the server. Which was relevant for me, because we made a LAN-Party where we had no internet connection at all, and that was the reason why we couldn't play 7d2d.

I kind of just assumed, that the question might have been related to that and answered the question I thought was maybe asked. 

I have ran the server with the steam not running on the server (it is installed, though, as I logged in in there to install the server through steam) and have, in the past, also used the option to turn off the steam networking. Meaining the people needed to connect the server straight through its ip as it is then not present in the steam server browser. 

However, I have not tried running it in LAN environment. By your description it sounds like the client will refuse to run if it can not connect to a steam server to verify it has a license. Maybe it would run (I have not tried) with steam set to "offline" mode but I am not sure it will allow access to servers that way (have not tried). 

17 minutes ago, Tehnomaag said:

However, I have not tried running it in LAN environment. By your description it sounds like the client will refuse to run if it can not connect to a steam server to verify it has a license. Maybe it would run (I have not tried) with steam set to "offline" mode but I am not sure it will allow access to servers that way (have not tried). 

Nope, the other way round. The client logs into the server with its steam id. The server then verifies that ID with steam. If this verification fails, the server doesn't let you join. You can also see that in the server's logfiles (iirc).

Having the client run in offline mode works fine, but the server needs a connection to steam.

Edit: We also tried the dedicated server. Maybe it works if one client works a host.

Maybe he needs a threshold of people saying no.

The answer is.... wait for it .... wait for it .... actually yes.

You can INSTALL 7D2D easily without steam if you have a copy zipped or tarred up. Just unzip or untar it to install. Ideal if you want to play different versions from time to time and have not much SSD space to keep them around all the time.

As for RUNNING 7D2D, weeeell there is a different answer.

On 9/18/2020 at 9:43 AM, The_Great_Sephiroth said:

Not many games run without Steam any more. I personally have no issues with Steam, but as somebody who grew up in the 80's, I do wish we had more options for gaming where we buy a physical CD/DVD/Blu-Ray and did not need Steam/UPlay/Origin/EGS/whatever. 

Ah.  CDs and DVDs those were the days.  Definitely not missing the days of floppy disks and cassettes😄

10 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

Ah.  CDs and DVDs those were the days.  Definitely not missing the days of floppy disks and cassettes😄

His point doesn't require using CDs or something, but that he'd like to own the software, can make backups and can run games independently of any online services. As i already said above, even if 7d2d works in a LAN, you still can't play on a dedicated if there is no internetconnetion and steam validating the players.

E.g. if Steam dies or removes a game you can not play it anymore, even if you still have the installation on your disk or a copy of them somewhere.

For this purpose the medium doesn't matter, if you buy a CD in a game shop or download data from somewhere doesn't matter in this regard. The point is, it should be drm-free. The games from e.g. GoG are DRM-free, once you have downloaded a game, it's yours. There is no online service required to run it and if you care for backups yourself you will be able to play it still in 50 years.

The DRM ist not a general fault of Steam. The publisher are the one who decide to use DRM. Steam doesn't enforce that and there are in fact also some DRM-free games on Steam, e.g. Factorio.

28 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

Not trying to sideline the thread, but I remember clearly my C64 days using "flippies" (one-sided floppy disks you had to flip to use the other side).  The Bard's Tale was 3 disk sides and a fourth for the character save disk.  Thankfully, they designed it so that the flipping and swapping was kept to a minimum.

Archived