The Loot, Animals and GS.

Slingblade2040

I had to restart for A19 b163 since my world became wonky with the update im at day 6 so far and here are my thoughts...

The Animals...Day 1 by 10am I came across 4 bears, 3 wolfs, 3 chickens, 2 rabbits and 5 deer.  I don't see any issues with those spawns since it just makes getting food easier. it just reminds me of I think alpha 17 when ferals and radiated zombies were spawning in some of the higher tier PoIs but then people complained and it got removed.

The Loot is weird. I have no problems with not wanting players to get certain items  early in the game but honestly multiple stone tools inside crates is just bad. heck the trader can just by pass all that nonsense so it makes this whole not wanting players to get stuff early in loot pointless. getting 10k dukes before the trader resets on day 4 is easily doable. heck I'm just holding out on rather to buy the tier 2 tattical rifle from the trader also game stage is barely I think 19. 

The Gamestage. I'm at odds with this. personally i think deaths shouldnt lower Gamestage heck nothing should lower it and difficulty should only affect how fast Gamestage increases. this whole thing of zombies hit like trucks and turn into bullet sponge's because of the difficulty setting is ridiculous and should be put as separate options in the world menu in the same way we have blood moon block damage it should also be done to damage done by zombies to a player. it can be set from 50% to a max of 300%.  yes same should be done for player damage done to zombies if folks want normal zombie damage but lower player damage while still having Gamestage increase at a rapid pace.

The loot part irks me a little; it's a weird change of pace. Assuming TFP follow through with their plan of bringing the trader wares and quest rewards down to the level of the current loot, it pretty much means you're better off just spending the first week digging for clay/stone/ores and building a base purely for the XP. If the animal spawns aren't reduced back down, it'll be easy with a little hunting trip every other day max. There is no point going to loot level 2 stone tools while you can craft them yourself.. maybe blitz through a couple kitchens for some recipes / possible wrench, little point in looting anything else until the GS picks up. Getting that up is faster via mining / maybe chain clearing POIs..

On the other hand, I'm quite sure they'll change it over again during A19. It hasn't exactly been well received.

On 7/14/2020 at 3:34 PM, theFlu said:

The loot part irks me a little; it's a weird change of pace. Assuming TFP follow through with their plan of bringing the trader wares and quest rewards down to the level of the current loot, it pretty much means you're better off just spending the first week digging for clay/stone/ores and building a base purely for the XP. If the animal spawns aren't reduced back down, it'll be easy with a little hunting trip every other day max. There is no point going to loot level 2 stone tools while you can craft them yourself.. maybe blitz through a couple kitchens for some recipes / possible wrench, little point in looting anything else until the GS picks up. Getting that up is faster via mining / maybe chain clearing POIs..

On the other hand, I'm quite sure they'll change it over again during A19. It hasn't exactly been well received.

thats actually a good way to describe it, and personally I like it this way.

A random dude used to living with others, gets left somewhere unfamiliar and has to survive in a zombie(infected/mutated etc) laden world? they sure as hell aren't rushing straight towards large highrises where people got locked inside rooms during quarantine, nor are they headed to factories which were likely looted waaay before they (player) got there. but a single story house? yeah, that's doable. Dig up rocks and stack em to make a wall? yeah doable.

having us focus on base building (as you said, to avoid early looting) gets us prepared for the first horde night, which can be done with a stone spear and a stone axe for repairs (cobblestone construction, to keep costs low) and if we get cornered, we (as players) probably have a blunderbuss and 20+ ammo by night 7

it slows down min-max strats, I get that, and lots of people play that way because its the "tried and true" strat for becoming strong fast

for RP'ers like me, the slow down makes a lot of sense, and I welcome the changes

I am playing on a private server with five friends and we all agree that the loot situation isn't as bad as forums make it out to be. In fact, the other day in Discord I heard "Oh @%$*#! I just found a T6 stone axe!" Funny thing is, he wasn't being sarcastic. It was a legit happy find. It makes finding iron tools or slightly better guns, etc. that much more rewarding. I think it's a healthy change.

As far as animals, let's be honest. What's the biggest complaint about the "open world" been? Lack of zombies(threats). So now your POI (indoor) areas are heads up for zombies and outside world is heads up for bears and wolves. Again, nice change as far as the six of us are concerned.

No comments about the gamestage at this time. Seems fine on day 18 between all of us.

On 7/14/2020 at 4:54 PM, Slingblade2040 said:

I had to restart for A19 b163 since my world became wonky with the update im at day 6 so far and here are my thoughts...

The Animals...Day 1 by 10am I came across 4 bears, 3 wolfs, 3 chickens, 2 rabbits and 5 deer.  I don't see any issues with those spawns since it just makes getting food easier. it just reminds me of I think alpha 17 when ferals and radiated zombies were spawning in some of the higher tier PoIs but then people complained and it got removed.

The Loot is weird. I have no problems with not wanting players to get certain items  early in the game but honestly multiple stone tools inside crates is just bad. heck the trader can just by pass all that nonsense so it makes this whole not wanting players to get stuff early in loot pointless. getting 10k dukes before the trader resets on day 4 is easily doable. heck I'm just holding out on rather to buy the tier 2 tattical rifle from the trader also game stage is barely I think 19. 

The Gamestage. I'm at odds with this. personally i think deaths shouldnt lower Gamestage heck nothing should lower it and difficulty should only affect how fast Gamestage increases. this whole thing of zombies hit like trucks and turn into bullet sponge's because of the difficulty setting is ridiculous and should be put as separate options in the world menu in the same way we have blood moon block damage it should also be done to damage done by zombies to a player. it can be set from 50% to a max of 300%.  yes same should be done for player damage done to zombies if folks want normal zombie damage but lower player damage while still having Gamestage increase at a rapid pace.

If I understand the patch notes correctly, the difficulty setting no longer affects gamestage. If i am correct, maybe you should look closer at the difficulty settings and see if a different one would suit your preferences better.

Enemy Progression/Balance

Enemy progression has been re-balanced. The chosen game difficulty no longer affects the game-stage value and player parties accumulate roughly 2/3 of the combined game-stage that they used to. This makes the enemy difficulty grow slower you won’t see high end enemies on the 2nd blood moon.

15 hours ago, Synvastian said:

thats actually a good way to describe it, and personally I like it this way.

<snip>

it slows down min-max strats, I get that, and lots of people play that way because its the "tried and true" strat for becoming strong fast

I wouldn't mind it either, if it was properly designed :) It just seems quite opposite to the recent push to get people questing, but we'll have to see how the chips fall over the alpha.

For min-maxing in solo / co-op with this patch, I'm starting to think chain-clearing POIs for the first <number-of-days-to-respawn - 1> and leaving all the loot for the last day before repops might yield pretty good results with improved GS from all the dead zeds. Completely silly, but at least you might get scrap iron instead of 3 stones from a Stiffy box :)

So far today I have started two new playthroughs, one nav and one small random gen. The first one I died to a mountain lion on day two that kind of came out of nowhere. The second one I got attacked by a direwolf out of nowhere on the morning of day two. I'm fine with the game being more difficult now and the new debuffs and the extended early game and everything but it's really disheartening to just get slaughtered out of nowhere by something you have no chance to fight back against. I get that there's a lot of dice rolling and that dying isn't that huge of a deal but it just seems kind of cheap to me.

I wasn't being careless and not paying attention to my surroundings. I'm going to give it another shot but if it happens again I might have to modify the xml and that's kind of lame.

Someone on another forum I post on shared a picture of two direwolves chasing him on day 1.

It's like spawning deathclaws in good springs.

Archived