Safe zone on initial spawn?

cammel

I started one game on default difficulty and had like 3 hrs with no zombies. The next game started at nomad and within 30 min already had zombies.

Is there a safe zone when you start? And does it change with difficulty?

The place you start is always safe. There aren't any zombies. There could be boars but if you leave them alone they will leave you alone. I never got more than a hundred yards away from it before I encountered Z's and bobcats and wolves and them f****** buzzards.

3 hours without any zombies must have been a fluke.

16 minutes ago, ElCabong said:

..... and them f****** buzzards.

Dude this is no joke. Buzzards are complete @%$*#!-hats. I hate even going in the burnt forest & wasteland just because of them. 

Being on a bike in those areas is worse. It's like they are attracted to it.

I seem to get zombies pretty fast upon spawn too. I'm just getting the club & bow done and I start to see them.

33 minutes ago, Outlaw_187 said:

It's like they are attracted to it.

It's not like, they really are.

Vultures will track and attack you if you

a) not on full health

b) driving a vehicle

But i don't know what is so bad about them in general. 1-2 bullets from a pistol kill them. They have very long and very slow attack angle, where you can kill them easily.

I even "exploited" it by driving with a minibike through the burnt forrest until 3-4 of them started following me, then get off the bike and kill them... best source for rotten flesh (for farm plots) and feathers (if you still need some).

The only thing they become really dangerous is if they are already following you and you get into fight or even surprised, get hit once and so lose a little health, the vultures will immediately start attacking you too. That might then end up in being too much.

The buzzards are only a problem when you're starting out. After you get some armor, have a supply bandages and honey, they are not a problem.

they do what they're intended to do and that is be the salt poured into an open wound.

13 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

I thought it was on of those houses you usually have at the spawn with a few basic loot containers and no zombies in it. Well, the dog ended it pretty fast. Meh.

Does this even still work? I haven't seen a house with no zombies in it since a looooong time. I knew it could happen in like A15. A15 didn't have sleepers in POIs, but only random spawning Zs.

As stated above when you spawn as a new player, there will be no zombies spawning nearby. But that afaik occurs only to the random world zombiespawns, not to sleepers in buildings. They do spawn while you enter the POI or come close, but not at your spawn, even if you spawn right next to the POI.

So i guess you won't find any zombie-free POIs anymore.

The trailer you mention afaik has a chance to spawn a dog. But that is a sleeper spawn of that poi, not a random world spawn. So as a fresh spawned player maybe you should keep distance to POIs that have dog houses in their frontyard. 

4 hours ago, cammel said:

I was never more than 30m from my spawn point in either start.

You were probably within the safe zone that you get when you start. I would guesstimate that it is about 50 square meters around where you start out. Obviously if you spawn in navezgane you may not spawn in a safe place🤔

1 hour ago, Liesel Weppen said:

Does this even still work? I haven't seen a house with no zombies in it since a looooong time. I knew it could happen in like A15. A15 didn't have sleepers in POIs, but only random spawning Zs.

As stated above when you spawn as a new player, there will be no zombies spawning nearby. But that afaik occurs only to the random world zombiespawns, not to sleepers in buildings. They do spawn while you enter the POI or come close, but not at your spawn, even if you spawn right next to the POI.

So i guess you won't find any zombie-free POIs anymore.

The trailer you mention afaik has a chance to spawn a dog. But that is a sleeper spawn of that poi, not a random world spawn. So as a fresh spawned player maybe you should keep distance to POIs that have dog houses in their frontyard. 

I spawned right next to it, how should i keep distance? I thought it´s a new POI for starting. 😛 

And yes there are empty houses, i even had one in A19 already. Those spawn houses only existed on Navezgane tough, really not much in them besides a few cupboards and an old bed, also pretty ruined already. Seems like they are gone now, i actually started Navezgane on accident, so i didn´t try again, maybe they are still there on other spawn points.

3 hours ago, ElCabong said:

You were probably within the safe zone that you get when you start. I would guesstimate that it is about 50 square meters around where you start out. Obviously if you spawn in navezgane you may not spawn in a safe place🤔

All RWG games. Started a 3rd game and had no zombies til 11:00. Not playing Navezgane til the story is complete.

50 minutes ago, cammel said:

All RWG games. Started a 3rd game and had no zombies til 11:00. Not playing Navezgane til the story is complete.

I don't know what's going on. As soon as I get more than a hundred yards from the start zone I run into all sorts of stuff that's going to jump me.

9 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

I spawned right next to a trailer with a dog in the yard. On Navezgane. I thought it was on of those houses you usually have at the spawn with a few basic loot containers and no zombies in it. Well, the dog ended it pretty fast. Meh.

Same thing happened to me, was attacked right away.

IIRC, the safe "zone" is only a span of a few chunks. The one you spawn in, and probably no more than 3 or 4 chunks around that.

The default safe zone settings are for player level 5, or 5 hours in-game. (I believe this is 5 game hours, not 5 RL hours. Which is basically about 12 minutes.)

Archived