Fix me. Please.

Morloc

Here's a radical concept... do away with the dropped backpack design all together since it clearly can't be trusted to operate 100% all the time.

Before the death teleport argument gets brought up, there are already death mechanics that cover someone using death as a form of transportation constantly. There is literally no need to subject your players to this sort of bug. Especially one on the level of "I'm never going to play this game again" frustration.

Are you suggesting the game force everybody to play "keep all items"? 'Cause it's already an option so if you are afraid to lose your backpack just toggle the option and it'll never hit you. Some (many? a lot? a majority?) of us enjoy the challenge of making our way back to retrieve our stuff. Even when, at least half the time, we forget that all of our ammo was in the backpack and we take off running to the backpack with just one magazine of 9mm and one arrow.

Are you suggesting the game force everybody to play "keep all items"? 'Cause it's already an option so if you are afraid to lose your backpack just toggle the option and it'll never hit you. Some (many? a lot? a majority?) of us enjoy the challenge of making our way back to retrieve our stuff. Even when, at least half the time, we forget that all of our ammo was in the backpack and we take off running to the backpack with just one magazine of 9mm and one arrow.

More like change "keep all items" on by default and rebalance the game accordingly.

Those cool "running with just one magazine of 9mm and one arrow" situations could be caused by things other than death. Bandit muggings perhaps?

More like change "keep all items" on by default and rebalance the game accordingly.

I see. Well it is trivial to change to that setting in the UI so I'm not seeing the need for a game default change. I would think that all players would go through the default settings and change them (or not) to suit their needs. My server doesn't use the default; we changed it to "keep toolbelt", hence only having one magazine and one arrow on me because half the time I forget to restock at base before running off to retrieve my stuff. It's my own stupidity, not anything that needs to change in the game. IMO

I see. Well it is trivial to change to that setting in the UI so I'm not seeing the need for a game default change. I would think that all players would go through the default settings and change them (or not) to suit their needs. My server doesn't use the default; we changed it to "keep toolbelt", hence only having one magazine and one arrow on me because half the time I forget to restock at base before running off to retrieve my stuff. It's my own stupidity, not anything that needs to change in the game. IMO

A change to the default game implies TFPs came up with some other punishment for death to replace the dropped loot to maintain balance.

Well, it´s simple. He wants a bug to be fixed. How about that? Not everyone wants to choose the easy way to avoid a bug and prefers if things work the way they should.

Also he is around for a long time. A server wich has the option loose nothing on death will most likely have the other settings way too easy for him.

Not sure what the OP has an issue with. All the options at game launch are there. If you don't like how your MP server has things configured, play solo or find another that suits you.

OP is asking for the vanishing backpack bug to be fixed. It's a real thing; it should be fixed. Not sure how game options fixes the bug...

Not sure what the OP has an issue with. All the options at game launch are there. If you don't like how your MP server has things configured, play solo or find another that suits you.

What are you talking about, did you bother reading the OP original message. He is talking about a long standing bug that has a severe impact upon solo gameplay as well as multiplayer. No option besides "drop nothing" will fix this but as I already pointed out before, changing the server option from drop everything to drop belt only will help lessen the impact this bug has when it does happen. I personally prefer to play on a server that has drop everything and not be forced to play on servers with "drop toolbelt" or "drop everything" due to a stupid long standing bug.

I hope this clears things up for you. :)

EDIT: If I might also add. I do not know what The Fun Pimps categorize this bug as, but in my opinion this type of bug should fall under "Severe" and or "Game Breaking". Which would mean it would be at the top of the list and tons of resources and man hours will be put in to fixing this bug and no further large game updates until fixed. Again this is just my opinion and not a statement as to what severity level TFP has given this bug.

I think its safe to assume, considering its a fact this bug has been around for years and has never actually been fixed, TFP do not consider this bug to be game breaking or severe enough to warrant shifting all resources and dev time to fixing this bug once and for all.

Archived