QoL suggestion: traders

Ghostlight

I was actually thinking of something like this and a way to put it seemlessly into the world and it dawned on me. Advertising... why not have mailboxes only have a chance to drop a quest challenge that when read leads you to the nearest trader. I mean I get enough junk mail irl, so there would have to be some junkmail in those mailboxes from before the apoc.

Alternativly go to where worlds are saved, open prefabs.xml and search for trader and look at the coords. First number is + is east, - is west, 2nd number is height (can ignore that one), 3rd number is + is north - is south.

I always wished traders would spawn fairly close to a town within 500 meters, and the town would have a gravel road leading from the town to the nearest trader or something, just some way to know there is one close.

Used to be easier to find them before the distant trees were put in, its pretty hard to see poi's in the distance now in the forest biome.

How about allowing traders to sell us maps that show the location of other traders? Having only found 1 on a massive map is a royal pain in the behind.

I was thinking more of a quest where you have to take supplies to another trader.

At least we have a use for the gyrocopter now. It is good for discovering new traders. I recently did a round-trip and discovered several new traders. Partly there where I already uncovered the map but through the trees I had not seen him.

You could just nerd pole really high up so you can see over the trees as well, maybe 40 blocks up or so, just make sure you clear zombies around first. I don't do it myself as it feels cheaty just like I won't use junk turrets outside of horde night as they feel like its cheating for how good they are even unperked. Gyrocopter is the better option, but the nerdpole option is always there from day 1/level 1.

In my games I usually find a tall mountain and climb to the top of it to get a good look around, doesn't feel cheaty, and takes some effort.

You can also just look in prefabs.xml and get the locations. (and the count of how many are on the map)

Yes it's cheating. MM said they do want quests to get you to other traders, so it's on the roadmap.

I consider searching for traders one of the best reasons to explore the map. In my single player game this was the main reason for two discovery "expeditions" I did.

I wouldn't mind though if (very) expensive maps were sold by traders. I'm pretty sure I would be too stingy to buy them anyway.

You can also just look in prefabs.xml and get the locations. (and the count of how many are on the map)

Yes it's cheating. MM said they do want quests to get you to other traders, so it's on the roadmap.

I did that one time and it ruined my motivation to explore. Now I look at this file to know how many traders, but make it a mini game to find them. In my current playthrough, I've found 8 of 9.

Archived