Another Random World - More Rubbish Cities

Merandor

There needs to be some tweaks to the city generation.

Firstly, reduce some of the open space as things are too spread out.

Secondly, and more importantly, make sure that they include at least some (preferably 3+) of the very large POI's

There are really only 6 to choose from:

Shamway Foods

Shotgun Mesiah

Hospital

Waterworks (most common)

Higashi tower (mythical POI that I have never seen in a random map)

Construction Site (only ever seen once)

I keep coming across cities with NONE

There is also crack a book sky scraper, appartment complex and dishong tower (never heard of higashi tower). Alsowaterworks is T4 not T5.

I do agree that the skyscraper variants should be a bit more plentiful, because all I get is factories, appartments and ocassionally hospital. Those are the most widespread.

My A18.0 8x8 world only have appartment, factory 01 and 02, church. Missing the hospital and all 4 skyscraper type. It makes my late game grind very boring. The only worthwhile tier 5 quest is the factory 02 for I am only missing a lv3 Pump shotgun. I don't mind raiding the church again but the trading hasn't given me that quest for 5 times in a roll. I run into the same issue with my COOP 2x2 world. RGW should really have code that ensure every single type of prefab exist in the world.

Yep, Nitrogen seems tons better than TFP's own RWG implementation. Residential, industrial and commercial "zones" all have buildings appropriate to the size of the town, with the biggest cities having multiple skyscrapers and other big POIs. Buildings are spaced a little more realistically, roads are appropriately dilapidated and there are a ton of options on world generation. Haven't played with it a lot yet, but so far haven't seen any reason to pick the built in RWG tool over Nitrogen.

Try it! https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?114207-Tool-NITROGEN-a-random-world-generator-for-7DtD

I can't understand why the RWG algorithm is not TOP priority these days. Most of us have played Navesgane to death, so we need new maps. The game experience is only as good as the quality of the generated map. The pregens that came with A18 are pretty good, but even those have become old now. RWG maps are still verging on unplayable with ridiculous roads that are almost vertical and can just stop abruptly, cities that have stupid content and so on. My latest one has an area that must be about 1km x 1km and has NOTHING in it. I mean NOTHING. Not even a tree or a small stone, and is completely flat. wth?

I can't understand why the RWG algorithm is not TOP priority these days. Most of us have played Navesgane to death, so we need new maps. The game experience is only as good as the quality of the generated map. The pregens that came with A18 are pretty good, but even those have become old now. RWG maps are still verging on unplayable with ridiculous roads that are almost vertical and can just stop abruptly, cities that have stupid content and so on. My latest one has an area that must be about 1km x 1km and has NOTHING in it. I mean NOTHING. Not even a tree or a small stone, and is completely flat. wth?

Sounds like a city was supposed to be there, as thats about the only place you find completly flat land, but the rwg.. just kinda.. forgot to actually spawn the city. My other issue with Vanilla rwg is just how ungodly slow it is, nitrogen can make a far better way more varied map in a18 in 2-4 minutes. Compared to 15-20 mins in vanilla for essentally the same map just rotated a diff way.

What might be nice is to have the central city on the map loaded up with skyscrapers like a main city hub and lesser buildings in the other towns on the map. Bring a little realism into it. And FOR GOD'S SAKE stop making every single city nearly circular. How about some variance?

Archived