A19 NPCs DMT Mod

xyth

I dont think you understand yet how this will all work. Think of the character pack as a pool of characters with enough xml for them to get into the game. Then modders will make other modlets that will load xml that will reference the characters in the pack and make them work in game as that modder desires. Those can be xpath vanillla compatible modlets or full overhaul mods. The DMT modders also will reference the characters in the pack, but DMT will allow the characters additional functionality that only new C# code can provide. So you can have a basic survivor in vanilla who uses just the vanilla AI or with DMT that very same character from the pack can also be hired and follow the player. Is that clearer?

Not sure. It kinda sounds like all the current DMT mods - Bandits, NPCs, Wandering traders will be merged into one reduced DMT mod to provide just the extra C# code for features like follow, guard, etc. and the rest will be handled by the character pack modlet. Is that what you mean?

PS: I'm sorry if my reaction generated a facepalm moment for you, I'm just trying to understand it to know better what to expect in the future. I would like to get as many cool features in these mods as possible.

Edited by mr.devolver (see edit history)

For the most part that is correct.

Oh, so we will actually be using both mods (in case of DMT version), right? So that would mean the DMT version will also have those extra characters like animals etc. And I'm not really talking about possible third party mods here, just the base version of the DMT mod created by you and sphereii, because so far I haven't seen many attempts from other modders to build upon these mods.

The goal of the Characterpack mod was full feature vanilla entity function and EAC compatibility. Features beyond that will need to remain in this DMT version as code is required. This DMT version will be re-baselined on these new entity models so they will move smoother and have ragdolls etc. When thats complete we plan on adding many new features to the DMT version of the NPCs. The bandit mod will be eliminated as bandits will be avilable in both the CharacterPack modlet and the NPC DMT modlet.

Today we tested a method that will allow easy reskinning of Characterpack vanilla entities, so modders will be able to remove beards, replace hats, etc. through vanilla material overlays. That combined with spawning these with any weapon in hand should allow a huge amount of character variety just through xml edits.

I recall your previous comment expressing doubt that the CharacterPack mods functionality could be done, and I'm glad I was able to surprise you after all.

Well that is a lot more than i could have ever hoped for. i will be patiently standing by for new developments. Though i may forget and start making random requests...

Not gonna lie, a zombie apocalypse is more fun with friends, or is this more like a gehenna?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Xyth, got some weirdness for you. Have your NPC+Bandit+Trader mods installed, and when one of them has one of those Pulse Rifle styled assault rifles, every time they fire, it goes three times, spams the log three times with "Asset Bundle XythBanditAmmo.unity failed to load, another asset bundle with the same files is already loaded!" and lags the game really badly. Thoughts?

Bandit and trader modlets are no longer valid. delete those modlets and retry. You will get conflicts otherwise. The Basic bandits and Traders are now in the CreaturepackHumans and I will be adding Better Bandits and Better Traders to the NPC modlet soon.

Bandit and trader modlets are no longer valid. delete those modlets and retry. You will get conflicts otherwise. The Basic bandits and Traders are now in the CreaturepackHumans and I will be adding Better Bandits and Better Traders to the NPC modlet soon.

I miss those original bandits and NPCs you made. Some of the NPCs would probably fit more into sci-fi genre, but on the other hand the pulse rifle and heavy armor of the boss bandit were pretty cool, like we never know what kind of stuff people may discover in the apocalypse, right? Some top secret "out of this world" military stuff maybe...

Ah. Didn't realize. Thought I needed the other two to complete the experience.

Did you guys change something in the code of this mod recently? Last version seems to be bugged. I saw a character, not sure if it was a vanilla survivor or NPC, but the lines in the console make me feel like it was a DMT NPC farmer, and when I started running to him, he suddenly disappeared in such way it looked like that NPC teleport feature, but he literally disappeared inside the hill. After a while I saw another fast movement far away on the horizon all the way through my screen. I opened the console to check out what the heck is going on and I saw tons of these lines:

rnx6E6x.png

Did you guys change something in the code of this mod recently? Last version seems to be bugged. I saw a character, not sure if it was a vanilla survivor or NPC, but the lines in the console make me feel like it was a DMT NPC farmer, and when I started running to him, he suddenly disappeared in such way it looked like that NPC teleport feature, but he literally disappeared inside the hill. After a while I saw another fast movement far away on the horizon all the way through my screen. I opened the console to check out what the heck is going on and I saw tons of these lines:

rnx6E6x.png

That's me testing a new Wander mode. should be just warnings, and not extra code is running.

Is an NPC disappearing inside the hill or under ground a part of the test? I see NPC farmer mark on the map, but when I reach the mark, I can't find him in the world.

No, it should have an effect on them. Its' trying to find something, and its not, so it should be running vanilla code.

No, it should have an effect on them. Its' trying to find something, and its not, so it should be running vanilla code.

Well, the only effect I see is this:

GKk3Lrk.png

I found him by accident when I was cleaning around the base with a stone axe. Needless to say that the blood on the screen is mine...

Well, I gave up, closed the game, came back to Mod Launcher and checked the updates. It seems like there were new versions after all. I downloaded them (hopefully all of them) and started the game again. Frankie's ability to fly seems to be gone. I guess the supply of kryptonite finally arrived. :D