So, I got curious and ...

DrTeath

I used the console and maxed my level out , then did the starting quests . Didn't count how many points i got , but it was enough to max out all but 5 of the perks , with 4 ranks in another .

If anyone is wondering, that sets your gamestage to 360 when done on day 1.

So , Id say that's more than enough , even for a solo player, provided you had the dedication to hit the hard cap.

I'm gonna go off and test a new base design , and I think ima see how a vertical farm works out.

Anyone know if they way glass is coded , it lets light through for crops?

I think I read on the wiki that there has to be a light source overhead within 4 or 5 blocks.

Also glass absorbs ~20% of lights. Not sure what that does, perhaps slow crop growth or reduce the distance.

Edit: Lol, sniped by RD again.

Lol. I meant the glass tested. Pffft

Yeah, but the crop still has to rest on dirt though. I'm assuming you're talking about multi-level farms, with each farm directly above the one below it. You'd need to put holes in the upper floor farm (from memory, as others are saying here, it'll light up the block directly below it and two blocks all around it for a total of 25 blocks). Even then, if you did a 3rd level, that would also holes in it also.

So yes, multi-level farms can work (at least prior to A17, I haven't tested it in A17), but you need to make sure you leave regular spaces for light to filter down with ONLY glass (or an empty block). Eg/

X.X.X.X.X

X.X.X.X.X

X.X.H.X.X

X.X.X.X.X

X.X.X.X.X

Where X is a farm plot, and H is glass without any farm plot on it. Unless it's changed in A17, that always worked.

Yeah, but the crop still has to rest on dirt though. I'm assuming you're talking about multi-level farms, with each farm directly above the one below it. You'd need to put holes in the upper floor farm (from memory, as others are saying here, it'll light up the block directly below it and two blocks all around it for a total of 25 blocks). Even then, if you did a 3rd level, that would also holes in it also.

So yes, multi-level farms can work (at least prior to A17, I haven't tested it in A17), but you need to make sure you leave regular spaces for light to filter down with ONLY glass (or an empty block). Eg/

X.X.X.X.X

X.X.X.X.X

X.X.H.X.X

X.X.X.X.X

X.X.X.X.X

Where X is a farm plot, and H is glass without any farm plot on it. Unless it's changed in A17, that always worked.

Found the video where I saw bullet proof glass used for indoor farming.

Not sure if it still works in A17. Probably worth retesting. I... probably need to rewatch the video as I may be recalling this "working" all wrong. *shrug*

Yes, I've been making a farm in the layers of our upright base since A17 experimental, it works.

However, it will only like 5 blocks from the nearest glass pane, so keep that in mind. If you make it too big, your center crops won't be lit without a glass "chimney" to the sky.

Archived