Game feels like its punishing me for levelling up

fishjie

Explosive bolts are pretty powerful on horde nights and green zombies....

+

Finally got to high enough level to see what you guys are talking about and must say I agree with the OP: If every POI has a green army, kinda punishes the player and makes the game less fun.

Yes, also agree with XP. We're lvl 100-120 ish now, but as much as 10-20 l;evels ago we started to have conversations along the lines of "do you want to do some POIs?"

"What, and get mauled by irradiateds? Think of the resource usage for a few crappy items at the end."

"Good point, screw that."

Around the mid-levels we honestly were EXCITED to find new POIs (love th enew POIs btw) and the concept of hunting through them and exploring them was insane fun: we WANTED to do the POIs, we WANTED to do the quests.

But it's seriously just not worth it now: we never talk about it anymore. POIs have got to the point where we (a) avoid them, or (b) alert the occupants and just let them come to us (while avoiding the larger, more deadly POIs).

Heck, even a singular cave had a dozen irratiateds in it ... but some crummy storage box with, like, a sandwich in it or something.

So, yeah, apparently we levelled beyond where POIs are worth it, which is kinda sad.

So, yeah, apparently we levelled beyond where POIs are worth it, which is kinda sad.

I only do POIs for quests now. The rewards are at least worth a little more than what you get from the POI but I limit myself to level 4 quests for the most part. At level 5 quests I only do fetch missions because the level 5 buildings are too big for clear missions for me as a single player.

What really interests me about POIs are the parts you get from the buildings when you dismantle the furniture with the wrench. For example in Navezgane there is a mansion on the top of a mountain with a laboratory underneath. I get about 1000 electrical parts and about 200-300 brass at each quest.

I only do POIs for quests now. The rewards are at least worth a little more than what you get from the POI but I limit myself to level 4 quests for the most part. At level 5 quests I only do fetch missions because the level 5 buildings are too big for clear missions for me as a single player.

What really interests me about POIs are the parts you get from the buildings when you dismantle the furniture with the wrench. For example in Navezgane there is a mansion on the top of a mountain with a laboratory underneath. I get about 1000 electrical parts and about 200-300 brass at each quest.

Wait are you wrenching fixtures and such?

Wait are you wrenching fixtures and such?

I wrench the beds, the brass lamps, the yellow valves on the pipes, and the computers in the lab. You get the most brass out of the valves on the pipes and the most electrical components from the computers. There is a room full of this computers.

After you start the quest all respawns and you can do this over and over again every time you start a quest in this house. Of course the zombies also respawns and you have to deal with them every time.

There is only nerd poling if you acknowledge it. If your confident it does not exist it will not in your play through. Take the red pill.

zkk3x.jpg

Nerd poling is essential for building in my opinion. Also, I like nerd poling lol.

Well I can build just as easily without it, but nevermind that. Let's talk about it. What do you like about nerd poling?

Btw, irrelevant, but why hasn't nerd poling become impossible. Do we really need nerd poling? I don't think we do. We definitely don't.

I think if you are chased by a zombie bear or dogs you are glad if you can save yourself quickly with frames on a roof or on a wall.

I have often rescued myself from dicey situations with nerd poling and others may have had the same experience.

Sure, you can bypass the zombies in a house with nerd poling and get the treasure on the roof directly, but I can also do that with a ladder or by building me a staircase. Accordingly, it would be inconsistent to ban nerd poling and leave ladders or stairs in the game to prevent the player from doing something like that.

Accordingly, it would be inconsistent to ban nerd poling and leave ladders or stairs in the game to prevent the player from doing something like that.

Inconsistent? How so? Ladders require materials and cannot just be picked up again. They are not a free/instant way to move vertically. Using ladders is slower especially when blocks are in the way and costlier. Zombies path on ladders.

Ok 3 reasons to like nerd poling up to now:

scaffolding without building stairs

if you are chased by a zombie bear or dogs you are glad if you can save yourself quickly

bypass the zombies in a house with nerd poling and get the treasure on the roof directly

Inconsistent? How so? Ladders require materials and cannot just be picked up again. They are not a free/instant way to move vertically. Using ladders is slower especially when block are in the way and costlier. Zombies path on ladders.

Ladders are cheap. It only requires a litte bit of wood to craft them in your inventory.

And if you plan to loot a POI there is no need to hurry. You have all the time in the world to find a free way up and craft some ladders. You can also craft a hatch and set it on top of the ladder to prevent zombies from following you.

zkk3x.jpg

Well I can build just as easily without it, but nevermind that. Let's talk about it. What do you like about nerd poling?

1) building the corners of buildings

2) escaping deep spaces without wasting time/resources

3) escaping off guard moments such as bears, radiateds, dog packs, ect

4) scaffolding

5) bypassing POIs that have cleared multiple times

Off the top of my head.

Edit:

6) retrieving lost vehicles at ceiling map

7) screen shots for my videos and discord

(dedicated server without DM)

Ladders are cheap. It only requires a litte bit of wood to craft them in your inventory.

And if you plan to loot a POI there is no need to hurry. You have all the time in the world to find a free way up and craft some ladders. You can also craft a hatch and set it on top of the ladder to prevent zombies from following you.

"Ladders are cheap": Ladders are 200% more expensive than wood frames but wood frames are technically free since they can be picked up.

"You have all the time in the world to find a free way up":

if you are chased by a zombie bear or dogs you are glad if you can save yourself quickly.... I have often rescued myself from dicey situations with nerd poling
Sure.

"You can also craft a hatch and set it on top of the ladder to prevent zombies from following you.": Are they not able to hit it? Interesting...

"Ladders are cheap": Ladders are 200% more expensive than wood frames but wood frames are technically free since they can be picked up.

A ladder element costs 4 wood. I only need to cut down one tree to have enough wood to build all the ladders I need and even have some wood left.

"You have all the time in the world to find a free way up": Sure.

Maybe you shouldn't just rip a quote out of context. I wrote:

And if you plan to loot a POI there is no need to hurry. You have all the time in the world to find a free way up and craft some ladders.

Or do you assume that a zombie bear is constantly hunting you if you plan to loot a POI where the treasure is on the roof?

"You can also craft a hatch and set it on top of the ladder to prevent zombies from following you.": Are they not able to hit it? Interesting...

Apparently not. I've never experienced zombies breaking a hatch from below.

A ladder element costs 4 wood. I only need to cut down one tree to have enough wood to build all the ladders I need and even have some wood left.

It's only 50% more expensive (3), but it hardly matters. You say that now, having infinite free wooden frames that you only need to craft once. But if you want to use ladders on each POI you visit, since you can't pick them up again, you will have to craft them each time and the resources will add up.

Maybe you shouldn't just rip a quote out of context. I wrote:

Nothing would change even if I quoted the whole paragraph. You make it sound like you have all the free time in the world to craft and place ladders (which you can't pick up), but on the other hand nerd poling has saved you from the occasional threat because "it's quick".

This is another one those "If you don't like it, don't do it" scenarios. Don't want to nerd pole? Don't. That was pretty simple lol. Why do so many people care how others play?

You give yourself too much credit if you think I care how you play.

It's only 50% more expensive (3), but it hardly matters. You say that now, having infinite free wooden frames that you only need to craft once. But if you want to use ladders on each POI you visit, since you can't pick them up again, they will add up.

I usually have 3000 wood in my backpack. I also have a tree farm that supplies me with at least 18000 wood every time I harvest it. Wood is nothing that is scarce or hard to come by.

If it bothers you so much that I "waste" some wood it will surely shock you if I tell you that I even burn wood in my forges or my campfire.

Nothing would change even if I quoted the whole paragraph. You make it sound like you have all the free time in the world to craft and place ladders (which you can't pick up), but on the other hand nerd poling has saved you from the occasional threat because "it's quick".

The context is important here. If a zombie bear hunts you it is an emergency situation and if you want to loot a POI it is not.

And I assume you don't like hat nerd poling allows people to bypass zombies. But this behaviour wouldn't disappear just because you take nerdpoling out of the game.

You give yourself too much credit if you think I care how you play.

Then explain what bothers you so much about nerd poling.

I usually have 3000 wood in my backpack. I also have a tree farm that supplies me with at least 18000 wood every time I harvest it. Wood is nothing that is scarce or hard to come by.

If it bothers you so much that I "waste" some wood it will surely shock you if I tell you that I even burn wood in my forges or my campfire.

The context is important here. If a zombie bear hunts you it is an emergency situation and if you want to loot a POI it is not.

And I assume you don't like hat nerd poling allows people to bypass zombies.

Not shocked at all. Of course it's not scarce. Where did I say that you won't always be able to craft ladders? Nowhere. I just pointed out they involve time and cost.

Are they mutually-exclusive situations? No. So looting a POI can turn into a emergency situation - except with nerd poling it usually can't.

Doesn't matter what I like or what I don't. I am just discussing about something, no assumptions are needed.

I give myself no credit, you were the one asking why nerd poling is not removed which clearly implies you care how others play lol.

So asking why something in the game exists means "caring about how others play"? Or even saying my opinion about a feature is caring about how others play? I think you have been nerd poling too much my friend.

So asking why something in the game exists means "caring about how others play"? Or even saying my opinion about a feature is caring how others play? I think you have been nerd poling too much my friend.

lol, you're in a rare argumentative mood today. I'm sorry to hear that. I'm just speaking logically. You stated that it is definitely not needed. That is your opinion and I respect that. However, that is not my opinion. That blanket statement that applies to all players. Perhaps adding, "to me" would have been a more accurate way to open discussion on the topic and make it less about you caring how others play, and more about trying to find out why others like it. Perhaps I've taken the conversation out of context. I'm just replying as to the way I interpreted your statement.

Cheers

lol, you're in a rare argumentative mood today. I'm sorry to hear that. I'm just speaking logically. You stated that it is definitely not needed. That is your opinion and I respect that. However, that is not my opinion. That blanket statement that applies to all players. Perhaps adding, "to me" would have been a more accurate way to open discussion on the topic and make it less about you caring how others play, and more about trying to find out why others like it. Perhaps I've taken the conversation out of context. I'm just replying as to the way I interpreted your statement.

Cheers

Forgive me if I am being edgy and douchey today but this statement... let me explain.

It has been said even to the developers in the past - "why are you balancing the game, why do you care how I play?"/"why force me" - when they squash an exploit (not saying that nerd poling is one, let's not go into that at all). But nevermind the devs... What are we, users, doing in this forum? Suggesting, theorizing, discussing. A simple user like me pondering about what impact nerd poling has on gameplay or saying his piece because he loves the game and feels, from his point of view, that some things are wasted, etc, doesn't make him an over-the-internet obsessive sociopath that is annoyed by another person's playstyle because he has some kind of complex... right? (And it can only be an opinion, I can't exactly impose anything lucky for you maggots).

Archived