Game feels like its punishing me for levelling up

fishjie

Damnit Poppa, you talking all this Borderlands is making me want to do another Psycho run XD But yea, I can see legendary items/mods being in the end of the large POIs worth going through rad-armies for. Not worth doing it for 12 rounds of 7.62, some duct tape, random mid-quality guns and maybe some extra ammo.

Even 200 Bullets and a Q6 Weapon/Tool is is not worth in my last games

A Epic weapon/tool (with a chance to be better than my current) is a whole other story

Damnit Poppa, you talking all this Borderlands is making me want to do another Psycho run XD But yea, I can see legendary items/mods being in the end of the large POIs worth going through rad-armies for. Not worth doing it for 12 rounds of 7.62, some duct tape, random mid-quality guns and maybe some extra ammo.

LMAO, I love BL2. I just got burnt on it. I was 8th on the speedrun boards for UVHM Geared run. I think last I checked it dropped down to 12th. I, at one time, knew pretty everything about that game. Still love it though and am pretty tight with the streamer community for it since I used to be a BL2 streamer lol.

Even 200 Bullets and a Q6 Weapon/Tool is is not worth in my last games

A Epic weapon/tool (with a chance to be better than my current) is a whole other story

Yeah, precisely. Horde nights I don't get any loot and don't care because that's the point about it. But if going through a POI means I have to fight rad-armies (actually, STRONGER than horde nights usually, and harder since I'm in a maze of traps and etc in the building) for worthless rewards... count me out, I'll stay in my base or go out mining/wrenching cars. Hell, I think the last POI building I hit up I got a handful of ammo (not even near 200 bullets), an anvil (...lol), a stack of rebar frames (...lol.......), some gold/silver nuggets (i... guess thanks?), level 1 steel boots (okay... scrap I guess), and a blue shotgun. Aside from that, I got some random clothes, some cloth, empty cans, some glue, a couple cooking pots, some random gunpowder laying in a cabinet, prob some canned foods from looting randomly in the beginning area. Was it worth fighting rad-armies for? No, not really, especially since it took me an entire ingame day until ~3am. Worth at the start of the game where that's needed stuff and everything inside wasn't rad? Of course.

- - - Updated - - -

LMAO, I love BL2. I just got burnt on it. I was 8th on the speedrun boards for UVHM Geared run. I think last I checked it dropped down to 12th. I, at one time, knew pretty everything about that game. Still love it though and am pretty tight with the streamer community for it since I used to be a BL2 streamer lol.

Yeah lmao. Nice, I thought about doing speed runs but I burnt myself out before I did so. I enjoy the atmosphere of the game. And I reaaaaly love playing as the Psycho. Nothing like playing as an OP, invincible, walking death machine that doesn't even care about loot. Give me a Rough Rider, a good class mod, an unkempt herald and I am good for whatever lol!

I'm past that hour mark myself, and got there in a embarrassingly short period of time. But can no longer get into the game. That could be due to other things...But for someone like me who always preferred more of a Romero/Walking dead type of zombie I'd really like to be able to finally stop getting my butt rampaged by something I don't even want in the game lol. Especially when things are seemingly unbalanced.

This is really not a dismissive "mod it" comment but a sincere suggestion.

If you like the Romero/Walking dead type atmosphere I suggesting trying the Overhaul Mod Scavengers of the Living Dead

Roll the game back to A16.4 and install this. For me it gives that exact kind of atmosphere you talk about. It's very easy and I'd be happy to explain installation if you have troubles.

Yeah lmao. Nice, I thought about doing speed runs but I burnt myself out before I did so. I enjoy the atmosphere of the game. And I reaaaaly love playing as the Psycho. Nothing like playing as an OP, invincible, walking death machine that doesn't even care about loot. Give me a Rough Rider, a good class mod, an unkempt herald and I am good for whatever lol!

Speedrunning it burnt me out on it, knowing exactly when/where every enemy spawned and the quickest route through it really diminished the value of the game to me.

My preferred was Sal. Right gear and perks = literally un-killable lmao

Don't know if I'm up with the idea. Finding items like "Wicked Hunting Knife", "Lucky Bone Shiv", "Pistol of Fear", "Iron Shovel of Digging", feels like Diablo or Borderlands. I'm on the fence here. Will enemies also get these denotations? "Chuck Corrupted Cop" (a rare bloated cop), "Daisy the Black Widow" (a rare stripper zombie), "Willy Foreman of Dread" (hardhat zombie).

This certainly adds rewards and variety for loot and enemies, respectivaly, but it'll also certainly steer the game into the action RPG genre.

edit: besides, "Blood Hammer Bringer of the Final Sleep" is ridiculous.

I think they can do it without the cheesy type names. How about just finding a M60 machine gun or a Diamond Tipped Auger? I'd rather more depths than just uber versions of the same things.

Speedrunning it burnt me out on it, knowing exactly when/where every enemy spawned and the quickest route through it really diminished the value of the game to me.

My preferred was Sal. Right gear and perks = literally un-killable lmao

Yeah lol. If you never played a Psycho you'd enjoy it, he's like an insane-version of Sal but with melee. He's more skill-based on his invincibility, you gotta be up on your game. Slip up a few times and you lose the invicibility -- he really is what gave me like.. an additional 200 hours of gameplay when I was burnt-out and said "welp, enough is enough I'm done with Borderlands 2". They said, "But wait -- there's more! Play as Kreig" and I said, "God damnit alri... dude this is fun! SALT THE WOUNDS!!!!" -- nothing like MELEEING Terramorphus in OP8 because Kreig lmao.

- - - Updated - - -

I think they can do it without the cheesy type names. How about just finding a M60 machine gun or a Diamond Tipped Auger? I'd rather more depths than just uber versions of the same things.

Agreed

Playing the devil's advocate for the Diablo loot type: randomly generated items will theoritically never get old; each one will be a different item than the other.

The same can't be said about your M60 example. After you find one, what will you'll find next? A m249. Ok, and after that? A gatling gun? And after that? and so on. You'll have variety for variety's sake.

It is certainly a difficult system to tweak.

I was thinking of Fallout New Vegas. Hidden in a corner of the map you could find a special minigun in bottom of a crater, that had its own model. Every weapon had its unique type. They were a blast to find and to have. This, could be the case here. Say, "Maria", a special 9 mm pistol with a customized grip (cough cough) would be found in the cellar of house x in the map, be it Navezgane or RGW.

Another case comes to mind. Team Fortress 2 has different versions of each weapon. Interestingly, none is better than the other. The Brass Beast for example, is a variation of the Minigun; it hinders your movement while firing even more but deals more damage.

I think this sort of "creative precision" could be nice to see and would complement what you have in mind.

Yeah lol. If you never played a Psycho you'd enjoy it, he's like an insane-version of Sal but with melee. He's more skill-based on his invincibility, you gotta be up on your game. Slip up a few times and you lose the invicibility -- he really is what gave me like.. an additional 200 hours of gameplay when I was burnt-out and said "welp, enough is enough I'm done with Borderlands 2". They said, "But wait -- there's more! Play as Kreig" and I said, "God damnit alri... dude this is fun! SALT THE WOUNDS!!!!" -- nothing like MELEEING Terramorphus in OP8 because Kreig lmao.

I have OP8'd every character many times over lol

- - - Updated - - -

Playing the devil's advocate for the Diablo loot type: randomly generated items will theoritically never get old; each one will be a different item than the other.

The same can't be said about your M60 example. After you find one, what will you'll find next? A m249. Ok, and after that? A gatling gun? And after that? and so on. You'll have variety for variety's sake.

It is certainly a difficult system to tweak.

I was thinking of Fallout New Vegas. Hidden in a corner of the map you could find a special minigun in bottom of a crater, that had its own model. Every weapon had its unique type. They were a blast to find and to have. This, could be the case here. Say, "Maria", a special 9 mm pistol with a customized grip (cough cough) would be found in the cellar of house x in the map, be it Navezgane or RGW.

Another case comes to mind. Team Fortress 2 has different versions of each weapon. Interestingly, none is better than the other. The Brass Beast for example, is a variation of the Minigun; it hinders your movement while firing even more but deals more damage.

I think this sort of "creative precision" could be nice to see and would complement what you have in mind.

Having the variety would also keep us looking for the "perfect variant" of said item.

For me personally, running again and again after the same "places" to kill the same enemies for a slight chance of getting better loot was what drove me off Diablo 3. Hell, i even went through with hardcore characters, but doing the same things over and over again bored me to stop.

On the other hand, having a specific goal in mind, be it better equipment or a sense of achievement that last (like clearing permanently a POI) makes wonders. While the first i think would be plausible, i dunno if the second ever will be implemented.

For me personally, running again and again after the same "places" to kill the same enemies for a slight chance of getting better loot was what drove me off Diablo 3. Hell, i even went through with hardcore characters, but doing the same things over and over again bored me to stop.

On the other hand, having a specific goal in mind, be it better equipment or a sense of achievement that last (like clearing permanently a POI) makes wonders. While the first i think would be plausible, i dunno if the second ever will be implemented.

The second is on my to try list. i hope no zombie spawns can be abused for that (well in real i would like a "No respawn" option) Then it would make sense to clear whole towns and make a wall arround it

(Maybe rebuild it and move survivors in it you can find )

The second is on my to try list. i hope no zombie spawns can be abused for that (well in real i would like a "No respawn" option) Then it would make sense to clear whole towns and make a wall arround it

(Maybe rebuild it and move survivors in it you can find )

that's why I want colonies. it would give some fun and like you said a goal to achieve. that sounds fun, I'd be down to clear cities and then colonize them

I'm not understanding this concept of having any game punish you for any reason. People keep saying the game is punishing for X. Others respond that its not but instead punishing you for trying to grind too fast? People play these games to level up and get better at things. This entire concept of punishing is wrong and should not be accepted as a functioning game mechanic because it just isn't. This is a game balance issue most likely caused by far too many zombies in a POI in the first place AND far too many irradiated zombies spawning according to gamestage. If people can't leave their base past a certain stage or even feel this way at all then there's some kind of problem that needs to be addressed. Either apply quick easy bandaid by vastly increasing ammo drops OR finally admit that POI's have too many zombies in them and it doesn't make the game more fun and causes many extra problems later on.

To a large degree I agree with the OP and xXBadDreamXx. Now then I don't know if TFP has made any adjustments to a lot of things that would effect what some of us are experiencing as the op is and Bad is noting. But here's another thing is that the game was re-written and then pushed out in A17. IF TFP has made some adjustments to POI zed distribution, then maybe it needs a bit more. As I noted before its much harder in SP so maybe making adjustments to SP play might help. In MP its a different story! As some noted point distribution into what you want and what you need are again two different things. Someone noted that if your points are distributed into INT and you try to go into a POI, you're taking your life in your own hands so to speak. But again I will have to say that there are a lot of zeds in POI's. Once you reach the plateau to where you get radiated zed it becomes hard because many POI's will have almost all radiated zed within that poi.

From a new player standpoint: and as the Op noted:

Playing on default settings and getting these results aren't that good. As we've gotten them too. On FB a tonne of people are experiencing it that way too and they're not liking it either. Just going in and changing some settings isn't a viable option either. When finally released any "Jane or Joe" (regardless of their 'play abilities') that comes in should be able to progress through the game on default settings decently without any tweaking of any settings at all. For me and us - A15 and A16 were like that. Nowthen - if you find the default game easy then you should go in and tweak some settings...

I think the main problem here is that most people don't like playing on "easy", especially the players that have quite a few hours in FPS games, not to mention veterans of 7DTD. They all will go into harder difficulties and find them a challenge they wanted (compared to their skills), but the steep curve of those difficulties shows it goes way out of proportion fast for most of those players.

On the other hand, after some thinking, i must admit that i don't like how gamestage is calculated. Sure, it is an artificial number to some extent and gamestages have been tweaked and will be in the future. Yet experimental, 17.0 and 17.1 still proves that if you don't kill zombies much (so don't get a lot of XP to raise levels) GS will still rise in a steady pace no matter your progress.

Basic math shows the following: At day 30 and nomad difficulty (1.5 multiplier but midway difficulty) you get GS 45 at character level 1. Hit a couple levels in and you have GS 50 at the very least (which i presume people will have at least level 10-15 at this time) and there were people seeing ferals and perhaps even rads at this time. Compare this to day 15 and level 15 where at nomad you have also GS 45. Leave your character at level 15 and get to day 20 and then you have GS above 50.

It goes down to numbers. You can't "wait it out" because gaining levels and spending time aimlessly increases GS. To some it surely feels like They are Billions, where you need to "git gud" at planning your next moves, because the enemies will come and they will come hard...

Well for me i must say that Pois full of green armys are bad. But i like hard Hordes. Besides surviving (what is really no problem) all you do is preparing for more lethal Hordenights.

Maybe it would be the best to have 3 Gamestages with Multiplyers in the options and in XML

* Pois

* Wandering and world

* Bloodmoon

On the other hand, after some thinking, i must admit that i don't like how gamestage is calculated. Sure, it is an artificial number to some extent and gamestages have been tweaked and will be in the future. Yet experimental, 17.0 and 17.1 still proves that if you don't kill zombies much (so don't get a lot of XP to raise levels) GS will still rise in a steady pace no matter your progress.

Basic math shows the following: At day 30 and nomad difficulty (1.5 multiplier but midway difficulty) you get GS 45 at character level 1. Hit a couple levels in and you have GS 50 at the very least (which i presume people will have at least level 10-15 at this time) and there were people seeing ferals and perhaps even rads at this time. Compare this to day 15 and level 15 where at nomad you have also GS 45. Leave your character at level 15 and get to day 20 and then you have GS above 50.

...?

the daysAlive is capped.

It is low-capped at 0, high-capped at "your player level".

At player level 41 you can have a daysSurvived value anywhere from 0 to 41.

I think the main problem here is that most people don't like playing on "easy", especially the players that have quite a few hours in FPS games, not to mention veterans of 7DTD. They all will go into harder difficulties and find them a challenge they wanted (compared to their skills), but the steep curve of those difficulties shows it goes way out of proportion fast for most of those players.

Honestly, i'd love to play this at much harder levels, but i usually play solo and don't have anyone really for support. That's on me, but i prefer the harder challenges of survival. At present, it's proportionally more difficult given things like every POI having scores of enemies, etc. Being able to change the spawn rates, as is done on console or previous versions, would be nice. Still, the POI's, in my opinion, should have some adjustment. An office building might have found dozens of people trapped inside or infected, but a single family house having 10 or more seems a bit excessive.

Gamescore may need some revisiting, but I'm not sure I follow your train of thought here. GS is calculated by, if i'm not mistaken, your level + game day, and then adjusted downwards by the number of deaths you've suffered. This is for single player, having more people would increase this per person, obviously. In a single player game though, you can hit your first blood moon and still be at or under GS 30 (i usually come in around 25-30). If you die before then, this would lower the GS as a result.

I normally don't see ferals, wights, or irradiated anything until after that point, but by then i'm somewhat better armed. The fact that you can literally find cobblestone rocks and concrete mix all over the place makes defense work a bit easier. :)

i am at day 68 now - 131 skill...

i can craft all at highest level.

What i am lacking atm: ammu... Need more nitrite....Buy all ammu from trader - have more money than he has mats/Ammu....

I have a jeep , motorcycle already...

I miss something "Big" - at midlevel as i am in - you can craft everything...

There is not other to do than to max level - but nothing you can wok on like "better armor" , "Better Weapon"

I think that there is much more tuning needed - why i find so easealy guns/ammu für better weapons early in game from scavenging ?

Scaling feels not right for me atm.

i play without cheats - the hardest part for me was finding cooking pot, BEAKER, TOOL and Die set and one more i dont remember atm.

I died soon when spawning in pity land and dont find cooking pot soon ...

If you have luck you have no problem - if unlucky you have no water source nearby and this will kill yoiu on the first days...

The first days depends much on lucky spawn..

After the critical 4 to 5 days the next lucky things are tool and die set....

atm i have nothing i really need except enough ammunition...

At the first days you can clear a huge POI with only bow, club and geht ammu/guns etc from scavenging.

Later pois are infested with "Bulletsponges"...

I would make drops more per lvl -no ammu/guns ect in cars - there can only found "later" in lvl..

Atm i have nothing craftable to work for at lvl 130+ - have no drops i wat for except ammu as i can craft everything.

I like to kill mobs - but must go on 3 days to mine stones for nitrite to get enough ammu for clearing pois, and get enough ammu for hordenight but have nothing to work for as i already can craft all...

Pro tip: in the very very far South there some... I forget the damn name... ugh its some "Valley Tour" building in the desert biome in a reallly deep (grand canyon) valley. Look on the walls -- there are resources among them. Boost up and mine in! I found nitrate, lead, iron, gold, silver in dem thar hills. Also some hidden POIs... It's pretty much in the middle of the bottom-southern region.

Archived