Improvements for the dedicated server

Alloc

Sorry, don't see the relation to the server fixes here.

@All:

New version of the mod released. Probably the most notable new features are Steam authentication for the webmap and permissions. So you can now define who's allowed to view what part, including anonymous users or non-admin but logged in users (see release notes and the Integrated Webserver page for more details).

Web styling isn't really nice, but it's all work in progress and I had even more and worse colors on my dev stuff to properly build the page ;)

More stuff on the page will follow.

Thanks Alloc! Going to modify my old map (totally had it styled the way I wanted it lol) and try to add the Time / Equipment field in. I figure if I use the new files then simply replace the index.html and styles.css it "might" work. Either way, thank you very much for adding in those functions!

I figure if I use the new files then simply replace the index.html and styles.css it "might" work. Either way, thank you very much for adding in those functions!

Nah, both stylesheet and index are important for the new layout. But I try to make things more cleaned up so in future it should also be easier to change the styling ;)

Nah, both stylesheet and index are important for the new layout. But I try to make things more cleaned up so in future it should also be easier to change the styling ;)

Sure man. The only thing I honestly want to do is (I know you spent a lot of time on it) remove/hide the admin panel. On the server I host (PvE) I let anyone see locations / inventories so I honestly won't really use any of the permission settings, and the admin panel takes up a good portion of the left hand side now.

I'm sure with time I can figure out how to style it exactly how rev 243 is, and display the time on the top of the minimap (sort of like CBSM does it) - Either way, I really do appreciate all the work you're putting into this!

One quick question - How come these Server Fixes aren't baked into the game already? :p Totally seems like this is something -everyone- should have by default.

remove/hide the admin panel

Shouldn't be much of an issue ... easiest way (though hacky) would probably be to set the navbar-width to 0 and content left to 0.

... and display the time on the top of the minimap ...

Meh, even had a control just for this at one point but deleted it as I moved it over to the nav bar :D

Ok, got it in my backups, attaching file. Rename extension to JS, add it to the index.html and in the map.js where all the controls are created also create this one.

How come these Server Fixes aren't baked into the game already?

Basically two reasons: It requires changes to the game (as e.g. I'm currently storing user data a second time for random access) and also it's easier to update this way whenever I have the time to without requiring a new game build. And a third but less important reason is that those mods can also be seen as examples for the mod interface of the game.

leaflet.control.gametime.txt

Hi Alloc, so after I type following two commands at console,

webpermission add web.map 2000

webpermission add webapi.getstats 1000

The map is open for the public. However, my players told me they cannot view the player movement, player online, land claim block and all other players static stuff after login with the steam account. When i login in with my account, the player static works for me. I assume that works for me only. Am I missing some steps?

Alloc, I'm getting this error in telnet:
2015-07-28T08:41:17 643.519 INF Web:Static:FileNotFound: "/static/index.html/" @ "C:\bluefang\servers\server356\Mods\Allocs_WebAndMapRendering/webserver/index.html/"

Looks like a wrong request (file + terminating slash) is sent. Hard to tell why that should happen but this is browser side, not server side.

What would those be supposed to do?

Well, the api is exponentially faster than telnet, which would be perfect for server managers.

For example, getplayerslocation lists ALL players that ever joined the server. A server manager program would need the current online players location.

Yeah, but what is getplayersonlineinventory? Inventory of all online players at once? Wonder what the use would be :)

The API will get updated over time anyway. Currently getplayersonline/offline aren't even used in the frontend, all three have different content etc. Gotta get cleaned up and then maybe add parameters to control what is to be retrieved instead of getting all at once (e.g. select whether it should show online, offline, both, show banned etc).

Hey Alloc! I finally got a chance to add the server fixes update to my server. Awesome work putting my request for the server time on the map! Hi5! I understand that it's a work in progress, but that green shroud has got to go. :becky: Is it a simple color change in the index file I could do myself?

Also, we noticed that the grouped bubbles are not working correctly. When two or more players are in the same area, they are grouped with the green dot with a number. When one of those players leaves the area, they are still grouped together even though the player is 5 biomes away.

Still patently waiting for spawn entity @ x, y, z. :eyebrows:

New version of the mod released.

Alloc, my static friend. Where is "serveradmin.xml" located?

Last time I checked there only exists a dynamic value for the configuration property of "AdminFileName".

https://7dtd.illy.bz/wiki/Integrated%20Webserver#Permissions

The permission feature would probably also be more approachable if there was a defined list of named modules: web.map, webapi.getstats, etc.

Edited by qriff (see edit history)

Is it a simple color change in the index file I could do myself?

CSS, yep.

Also, we noticed that the grouped bubbles are not working correctly. When two or more players are in the same area, they are grouped with the green dot with a number. When one of those players leaves the area, they are still grouped together even though the player is 5 biomes away.

Will have a look.

Still patently waiting for spawn entity @ x, y, z. :eyebrows:

I'm quite certain that you should look up the definition of "patiently" ;)

Where is "serveradmin.xml" located?

Saves-folder, whatever that is for your setup.

The permission feature would probably also be more approachable if there was a defined list of named modules: web.map, webapi.getstats, etc.

"webpermission list"

Contains all of them.

"webpermission list" and you'll see what's there. Also note that while 2000 means visible to anyone (even without logging in) 1000 means only those that logged in as described on the wiki page ;)

Straight answer.....

Here's what I get from my console.

>webpermission list

Defined web function permissions:

Level: Web function

2000: web.map

0: webapi.getlandclaims

0: webapi.getplayersonline

0: webapi.getplayerslocation

0: webapi.getplayersinventory

1000: webapi.getstats

Alloc, the wiki page could really use a lot more detail.

Hey Alloc,

I finally got around to redoing my map and getting the time added. I really wanted to yet again say thanks for providing that js file so I could get it knocked out! Can't wait to see what else you end up adding to this amazing map.

In case you're wondering, or if someone else wants the map edits, they look like this (I like transparent stuff, onno I'm weird?)

Map:

http://i.imgur.com/m2j9hOM.jpg

Inventory:

http://i.imgur.com/0mqtAgS.png

Edited by Ynd21 (see edit history)

I was trying to imply that you should probably provide this information in the documentation webpage. https://7dtd.illy.bz/wiki/Integrated%20Webserver#Permissions

Saves-folder, whatever that is for your setup.

Sorry, just trying to keep your documentation a continous trail. We're not having these discussions for each other but the community (also outside the random finding in this most unorganized forum) with a varying level of experience. The "serveradmin.xml" is just something you have decided to call your filename for the config.xml files property value of "AdminFileName" and as such you can't refer to it by a static filename in documentation, as it is non-searchable. As a practise try to refer the to a documentation which defines the "Saves-folder". (Which I only happen to know by experience to be located where the config.xml resides which appears to be specified as a command line parameter of -configfile for the executable /home/sdtd/engine/7DaysToDieServer.x86 )

"webpermission list"

Contains all of them.

Documentation...

Alloc, the wiki page could really use a lot more detail.

I won't put a list of something that's better fetched from the game as it's going to change anyway. The game always has the correct up-to-date list of things, a documentation is easy to go out of sync.

If you were talking about other things than this list feel free to suggest changes, I try to get things as clear as possible but obviously that's different from my point of view then for others ;)

I was trying to imply that you should probably provide this information in the documentation webpage. https://7dtd.illy.bz/wiki/Integrated%20Webserver#Permissions

As I said above, that doesn't make any sense.

The "serveradmin.xml" is just something you have decided to call your filename for the config.xml files property value of "AdminFileName" ...

Actually it's the other way round: serveradmin.xml is the name that the game has set for this file. Everything else is customized but this name is what people around the forum know if they know anything at all about the files ;)

As a practise try to refer the to a documentation which defines the "Saves-folder". (Which I only happen to know by experience to be located where the config.xml resides which appears to be specified as a command line parameter of -configfile for the executable /home/sdtd/engine/7DaysToDieServer.x86 ).

Saves-folder is defined by a param in the config (SaveGamePath) or, if not given, has a default path that has been documented at least in the release notes for A12 for those who read them. I agree that a lot stuff of the game needs more documentation but I'm not documenting the game itself on my mod page. That's what the official wiki would be for. So in my mod documentation I *try* to refer to game things as good as possible at the moment but as I said above I'm basically open for suggestions (as long as they don't include "document the whole game" as this is simply not the scope of my mod documentation ;) ).

For now my only change (in a few) will be to add a hint to "webpermission list" as that could be missed but I don't see what elsecould be improved or more exactly *how* it could be.

Hey Alloc,

I finally got around to redoing my map and getting the time added. I really wanted to yet again say thanks for providing that js file so I could get it knocked out! Can't wait to see what else you end up adding to this amazing map.

In case you're wondering, or if someone else wants the map edits, they look like this (I like transparent stuff, onno I'm weird?)

Map:

http://i.imgur.com/m2j9hOM.jpg

Inventory:

http://i.imgur.com/0mqtAgS.png

This map looks really nice! I would like to have this edits for my map too :)

Yeah, but what is getplayersonlineinventory? Inventory of all online players at once? Wonder what the use would be :)

Well, yes... my server manager monitors all players currently online in the server for restricted items and suspicious activity, and automatically takes necessary actions. Also we store everything in a database for auditing/tracking and forensic investigations. We use it to find out who placed what item/block and when, or who was in a certain area and had X item in inventory.

Currently we have to spam si in telnet every minute. Your api would make this so much cleaner and faster

CSS, yep.

I figured as much. Got it changed back to the original dark red shroud with white text for the gamestats and login info.

I'm quite certain that you should look up the definition of "patiently" ;)

LOL!!! Squeaky wheel gets the grease though, right. :playful:

Again, thanks for all of this!